I picked up my daughter from the airport yesterday...

I picked up my daughter from the airport yesterday...

A Story by Charlene Gagnier

Originally written August 2012


I picked up my daughter from the airport yesterday. It's much more dramatic than that. It's an understatement to say that I was a nervous wreck. She is 13 and it was the first time she has ever been on a plane and I haven't been on one since 2001. She was coming back from her grandparents that she visited in NY, and although on the way up she was driven, her grandparents bought a ticket for her to fly back. I have spent days with anxiety with my life flashing before my eyes. The Rocky Balboa quote from the 2006 movie of the same name, "I'm always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my child and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life." kept entering my mind. Rocky at this time period says this to his grown son. Adrian has passed and his son is the most important living person in his life. I know I was unnecessarily worrying but not having her in my hands under my protection was a very insecure feeling for me. So I finally get to her at the airport, get to the point where people are coming off the plane, and I am tapping my foot in inpatient nervousness.  I think people were looking at me like "what's with this chick", but what do I care, you know? And I finally spot her, and I run to her. I am crying and I grab her and start kissing on her and we almost fall to the floor. Wasn't the response I pictured in my mind though. She smiled and laughed and said, "Oh mom, stop it!!" Oh well, doesn't matter if she wasn't crying her eyes out, sobbing as she ran to me after the first day of kindergarten. But I think this moment is almost as  special as a moment in 2005. Kirsten and I went to go visit my parents who at the time were elderly, having their health issues, but still with us in this world. I had worked hard that week, was exhausted but had come over to their house to check on them. I found them sleeping and didn't want to disturb them. I was tired and so was Kirsten. So we both decided to lay down on the couch while my parents continued to sleep. I remember lying there thinking, "they are not well, they won't be here for long, but I have them now. And at this moment, in this room, we all are--I have my parents and my daughter, I have it all. All is well with the world."  There was peace in that moment--mom and dad safe in their bedroom, Kirsten and I both drifting into a blissful little nap. 

It's now 2012, I no longer have my parents, and life has a way of making us go on. All I know is I just woke up and see my beautiful daughter who decided to sleep on the couch. We are in our house, she is safe and happy to be home. And all is well with the world.

© 2023 Charlene Gagnier


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Start to extraordinary moments of relief, your panic, fear... and love, flow like a raging river. without pause, without a care for anything else in your life. I felt your story, as am sure many others will. Certainly your life is way back to normal except you're left with vivid memories. But also, fully appreciate that your 'beautiful daughter' arrived home safely, a great lesson learned for her and you, a proud mother years later. Such is love

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Charlene Gagnier

11 Months Ago

Thank you so much for your kind review. It motivated me to go back into it and revised it a bit ie:.. read more



Reviews

Start to extraordinary moments of relief, your panic, fear... and love, flow like a raging river. without pause, without a care for anything else in your life. I felt your story, as am sure many others will. Certainly your life is way back to normal except you're left with vivid memories. But also, fully appreciate that your 'beautiful daughter' arrived home safely, a great lesson learned for her and you, a proud mother years later. Such is love

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Charlene Gagnier

11 Months Ago

Thank you so much for your kind review. It motivated me to go back into it and revised it a bit ie:.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 13, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2023