When a stranger asked

When a stranger asked

A Poem by Chris Shaw

on the journey home from work
shortly before the inner circle tube
she stopped to purchase candles

her belly swollen beneath
a white cotton smocked dress
her skin wore a pregnant glow

she remembers the scent of patchouli
wafting in the air of happiness
back in the days of biba

when everyone loved everyone
and hate was a four letter word
much despised

so when the young candlemaker’s
eyes met hers in open smiles
he asked if she would consider

placing his hand on her ripening belly
so he could feel the kick of baby
movement of a new life growing

of over six months duration
six months of creation he said and
she replied yes without hesitation

to a stranger she said yes
and reflecting all these years later
something once beautiful has been lost

© 2023 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ask that question today and you'll see one worried parent wrap her arms over her belly and run!
And to be fair, who could blame her, with what we've done to this world in such a short space of time. Turned it arse over tit and slammed it's head in the dirt to boot.
But written so delightfully, from a time that now feels like the long long ago, in the far far away.


Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

It does seem so long ago and we were so trusting back then. It never occurred to me that anyone woul.. read more



Reviews


I would analyze this poem in terms of its emotional and symbolic significance, as well as its exploration of the individual's journey and the loss of something beautiful.

The poem captures a specific moment in the narrator's life, on their journey home from work, shortly before reaching the Inner Circle tube.

The act of stopping to purchase candles suggests a desire for warmth, light, and perhaps a sense of comfort or spirituality.

Candles are often associated with reflection, meditation, and creating a sacred or soothing atmosphere.

The presence of a pregnant woman adds a significant layer of symbolism to the poem.

Her belly swollen beneath a white cotton smocked dress represents new life, fertility, and the anticipation of a future generation.

Her skin's "pregnant glow" indicates the radiance and vitality that often accompanies the state of pregnancy.

This imagery highlights the theme of creation, growth, and the continuation of life.

The mention of the scent of patchouli invokes nostalgia and a connection to a past era.

The reference to "the days of Biba" alludes to a time of innocence, love, and unity when hate was strongly condemned. [The word, "biba" Slovak. Meaning fool.]

It suggests a longing for a simpler, more harmonious past where people cherished one another and negativity was widely rejected.

The encounter with the young candlemaker becomes the focal point of the poem. His eyes meeting the pregnant woman's in open smiles suggests a moment of genuine connection and empathy. He asks for permission to place his hand on her belly, seeking to feel the kick of the baby's movement—a gesture that symbolizes an intimate connection with new life and the beauty of creation.

The pregnant woman's immediate and unquestioning "yes" to the stranger's request reflects a willingness to embrace the unknown and trust in the kindness of others. It also speaks to the power of vulnerability and the capacity for human connection that transcends social boundaries.

However, the closing lines of the poem indicate that something once beautiful has been lost over the years. This loss could refer to the fading of the idealized era represented by "the days of Biba" and the absence of the love and unity that characterized that time. It could also allude to the loss of innocence, trust, or a deeper connection with others that the narrator has experienced as time has passed.

Overall, this poem explores themes of creation, connection, nostalgia, and loss. It delves into the beauty of human vulnerability and the longing for a more loving and unified world. The encounter with the candlemaker serves as a symbol of hope and a reminder of the transformative power of genuine human connection. However, the acknowledgement of something lost suggests a recognition of the complexities and challenges that can arise on life's journey.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you for an incredibly accurate interpretation of the thinking and emotion experienced when w.. read more
Ah Chris - London in the 60s and 70s. A glorious open colourful vibrant City. How beautiful and saintly your recollection here. I love it ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

I have not ventured to 'The Big Smoke' since 7/7 - I was never a great fan of the Underground. But thank you sincerely for sharing this - and this is really how it was ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thanks Tony. A completely different and somewhat alien place now and I’m a Londoner. Loved those t.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
Intriguing... The ending lefts us a twist I could not imagine why, why would it be lost... It felt tragic in some way, this is why many people view trust to be earned. But in the end of the day we can never see what's coming or we can't predict most of it, at least we try to be guarded all the time..

Some memories remains unchanged and never fade, a lingering feelings changed us to be stronger and move forward... Wonderful work!!!

Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Dear Pax, many thanks for stopping by today and sharing your thoughts. I appreciate you.
read more
a vivid image of the excitement of a new life being born and how that excitement wears off with time!

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you so much for stopping by today, to share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

C.. read more
Ask that question today and you'll see one worried parent wrap her arms over her belly and run!
And to be fair, who could blame her, with what we've done to this world in such a short space of time. Turned it arse over tit and slammed it's head in the dirt to boot.
But written so delightfully, from a time that now feels like the long long ago, in the far far away.


Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

It does seem so long ago and we were so trusting back then. It never occurred to me that anyone woul.. read more
This is beautiful
One of your very best Chris !

Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you Julie. I appreciate you.

Chrisc
This was beautiful and oh so innocent Chris. I am not sure that something like that would still happen today, in fact I doubt it. Thankfully, poetry will always be around to takes us back to when times were simpler. Really nice.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Thank you will. You are so right. It wouldn’t happen today. Pleased you liked the poem. Thanks so .. read more
we used to say "yes" to a lot of things once...
we trusted...then we didn't ...and now we don't.
I just had two very important friends who had their babies...


Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

You are so right J. It is a question of trust. This was also about my baby back in the day. I’m pl.. read more
I like Neville have never met a candlemaker on my way to work. Or anywhere else for that matter. But I do remember contrary to popular belief Biba and Patchouli. Because I was indeed a hippy. Not that has anything to do with this excellent and nostalgic poem. I do sense something biographical about this interesting and pleasantly quirky poem.
In short I loved it.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

So pleased you enjoyed the read Ken. Thank you so much for stopping by today.

Chris
Beautiful poem about motherhood and sometimes the joys of it, lovely truly enjoyed ;-}

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

Many thank yous Weeping willow. Have a great Tuesday.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 8, 2023
Last Updated on May 8, 2023

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..