Dysfunctional Family

Dysfunctional Family

A Story by Casondra Baerwolf
"

A nonfiction story that I wrote when I needed to escape reality.

"

I grew up in a small town, not much to do but talk and listen. When you come to my house, there is not talking. Not laughing or singing like most families. Silence. Silence is what I have to look forward to each and everyday. Some days I wish it would all change, go back to normal. But that never happens. Not after what happened. Children so young they don't understand, why would you do this to them? Why would you do this to your wife after all the work she has given out to you even after she has been diagnosed. You have become a monster, that no one wants to be around, besides her. You grow into a human beast, powerful, capable of destruction but then I look up into your eyes. They flood with fear, not knowing what to do you grab another bottle. You consume drink after drink until the pain goes away.

When you wake in the morning, the pain and fear overwhelm you more now than yesterday. She texts you later that evening, telling you to hop on your motorcycle and leave for the weekend, leaving your kids wondering where you are going. Your wife knows exactly where. Mom protects her children by telling them things that she knows won’t hurt them.

Suddenly on Sunday afternoon, we hear a motorcycle coming down the road. We kids, get excited to see our dad finally home after his business trip. As soon as he gets in the house mom and dad are yelling, I'm not sure if my brother knows but I know the truth now. He didn't go on a business trip. He had went to see her. His girlfriend.

She repeatedly messages you and calls you. It seems like she can’t stop to save her life. Doesn’t she know that you have a family? Doesn’t she have a family of her own? I had hoped for a joyful summer of grillin’ out and having fun with the family, but it doesn’t seem like it is going to plan out that way at all.

The summer progresses with worse times. It gets harder to stay strong everyday but I know that I can do it. It doesn’t seem like your family matters to you anymore with how much you are gone.

When I look at you, I can tell that everything is becoming harder for you as well. I can tell when I look at your face that you have so much pain. You don’t know how to deal with it anymore so you drink and drink and drink. You struggle to get back on your feet in the morning.

6 months later…

We are still sitting here, wondering where have you been all this time, you have been distant your whole life but now you are more distant than ever. You move in a way, a way that is so different.A way that is so not you. I miss my dad. The silly, funny, laughing, happy, smiling dad, that I used to have. I feel as if I have done this to you. Did I stress you out so much that you can’t handle it anymore, or is it something else? We need to know the truth. I need to know the truth. What were you thinking when you went off with this girl? What made you do this to your family? We have been through so much together, so many laughs, so many cries. We need to have a stable relationship again. Why fake something that isn’t even worth faking?

Every night I have to stay up late wondering if you are ok. I have school in the morning and I don't get the rest that I need, instead I stay up late wondering if you are still alive, or if you are at the police station for drunk driving. I would try to go to sleep but I care about you too much and I can't ever find my way to calming down enough to actually fall asleep.

© 2014 Casondra Baerwolf


Author's Note

Casondra Baerwolf
Can you please tell me what you think about this piece?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh yes, good to see people writing well about this stuff. My life was not easy and is hinted at in my own writing. Like the last person commented try writing in one sitting. You just get the words on paper then tidy, make certain passages sound better, convey meaning. It's a nice piece but needs more work. Show not tell they say, I am never sure I completely do that but I get it.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Very sensitive ,writing that is aware .Good hold on form and structure and the personal tone is interesting to the reader. Consider writing the same piece in a Stream of Consciousness technique.It will come out quite well. Keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2014
Last Updated on November 11, 2014

Author

Casondra Baerwolf
Casondra Baerwolf

Waterloo, WI



About
Im very passionate about my writing. I would like to become a journalist one day. My biggest loves are my family, friends, pets, and of course my writing. I let out all my emotions into my writing and.. more..

Writing