The antique girl

The antique girl

A Story by Michelle Samson
"

it is about a granny I spent the last 8 months with.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

I always knew grannies were adorable. I have vague  memories of my own .  Recollecting my memories with her is  like recollecting a dream  we try hard to remember. I remember her feeding me rice with banana and sugar, braiding my hair etcetra . More than memory it is from  stories I know her more.  I know she had grey eyes. And she was beautiful. My mother says I have bequeathed my curly hair from her. I know she was the  goddess of generosity of the village and  was nicknamed poppomma.

However, The last eight months I got to relive the moments I could not have with my grandmom.

I graduated medschool and  had to spend the next one year in training. I rented an  apartment in the hospital campus , most of my neighbours being nurses.

I  moved in  that evening and as I was hurrying  in  and out of my room I saw a little figure  looking at me stealthily.

Little did I know this short "statured , soft spoken nanny  , peeping through the clothes on the washline ,would  become so close to my heart.

As days went by, I was her granddaughter and she was my granny.

 I called her Ammachi ( meaning granny).

Every evening by 6:30 pm, I would wait in expectation  for the gentle  knocks on my door where she would stand at the door and say, “ come lets have some tea.” And I never stood to think twice……

She made the best tea in the world . It was a secret proportion of milk ,tea and sugar.she would give me a share of every new dish she made and in my absence save my share. On weekends she made me a mystical potion out of aloe sap from her own garden to wash my hair with. I celebrated Christmas, easter and birthdays with her.

She knew I come back late from work. On Christmas afternoon she waited  very, very  long in the sun to invite me for lunch . she kept all her guest waiting for me. When my friends came she brought snacks for them.

After my night duties I would run to her kitchen for breakfast and how I savoured down those ambrosial south indian dishes! And then she would narrate al that happened the previous day, all that I missed on TV. She often told me How she longed to  leave join grandpa  and  her farm back home.

And before long it was time for her to leave

Last I saw her was in her ruby-red saree and the torn blouse which shone in the moonlight when she hugged me last and kissed  me and caressed me lovingly over my chest.

Today,As I look at her  old  red saree that she left me all these run down creating an  amouage of memories.

She left me umpteen souvenirs and a little story in each of them. In the cups of tea, in the gentle knocks, in the gooey aloe potion ,in the old red saree,

I don’t  know her name  all I know is that  she  was  ammachi…..an ammachi  i could not own.

Grannies are adorable. oh!  I vouch they are. 

They truly are antique little girls!

 

 

© 2014 Michelle Samson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a beautiful story.
I really enjoyed this, it makes me think of my own two grannies or "Baba" as I call them.
One has recently passed, the other lives far overseas, we remain connected by airwaves...
Your writing is so beautiful and descriptive.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Samson

9 Years Ago

thank you Ana for reading me



Reviews

What a beautiful story.
I really enjoyed this, it makes me think of my own two grannies or "Baba" as I call them.
One has recently passed, the other lives far overseas, we remain connected by airwaves...
Your writing is so beautiful and descriptive.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Samson

9 Years Ago

thank you Ana for reading me

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 12, 2014
Last Updated on June 13, 2014

Author

Michelle Samson
Michelle Samson

nizwa, christian, Oman



About
I am michelle.I have always loved words. As Robert pirosh says the fat buttery,elegant, squirmy, crunchy,chuckling words !my initial writings were on my friends' birthday cards and then some of my clo.. more..

Writing