Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by La Catrina Calavera

The petrifying noises wired me wide awake. Screams would be too kind of a word to describe these hellish sounds. More similar to growls. Wailing agony. Another shriek tore through the brewing darkness. Tears pooled the hollows of my eyes and my gaunt arms hugged my chest. Not real, not real, not real. I focused my deviant gaze down below where a single lit latern slides a little more to the left with every rattling vibrations riveted by the anguished howls. 
The dim light created illusive beasts, lengthening ants to grow into strong monsters inside a labyrinth of shadows. Isn't it perplexing how light and darkness are both jokers? One spills a jest and the other responds with a twisted laugh. They gamble together, throwing dice and playing games that do not belong to them. 
A faint glow from the latern blushed crevices in my skull but it veiled the sweat pouring around my spine. Every pore in my bones forbid me from opening my eyes. I closed both heavy lids, trapping the surviving vestiges of my soul. 

Oof. 

And then the light vanished because of my lips.

I tried screaming before, to fill my only mocking company: silence. But there were too many caves and tunnels for my wails to sing to the shadows boundlessly. So, I remained in a bleak lull but those damned shadows never quit cavorting.. That is, until the leaves took flight from their thin branches.

卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌卌

Six months? Seven? Much more than the last time I was free. It felt like I've lived in the dirt for eternities. Perhaps, for so long new galaxies had the chance to build more eccentric constellations and virulent meteors. Of course, time treads leisurely when it is spent in amaranthine excruciation. 
I rocked back and forth until my tailbone is sore and I can no longer remain seated on my bottom. Roaming around under here is unsafe. Pressing my bare toes out of my inviolable haven into the cool dirty cement was a death wish signed willingly. Mice squeaked, doubtlessly cackling at my uncertainty underground. Their home is my prison. 
Between my breasts, both damp with perspiration, lay a capsule. Warm, as most blood is. Besides my soul, this is the only precious item I obtained from my last visit on earth. My vivid memories on earth began to surface, like dead bodies floating upwards on the water's currents. I missed most of all the orange leaves, the colour that promised death in the midst of life. I missed the fresh breeze swinging on branches, a natural tune for the dancing leaves. My nose still burns with the scent of cinnamon and my mouth watered for a bite out of homemade baked potatoes. My lungs sometimes become heavy with the memory of freedom's races through the woods that would pass by in a flicker of quick minutes. Most of all, I miss life's essence. It's truest forms in the spirit of those humans above. Those mortal b******s don't know how lucky they are. 
Reeling out the silver necklace where the container hooked in the center, my eyes peered open into this reality. My limbo. I twirl the capsule, whirling the rich blood into a tiny tornado. My mind drifted away from the lurking darkness, the insulting silence, away even from my hallucinated ghosts. I drifted mentally into this little bottle of blood, and where it came from. 
When a speck of mystical dust burst, it split into nine large sections. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. When the galaxy is dissected, each planet held an organ. 
Mercury is the strong legs and he raced around the flaring sun again, and again, and again. Stories say Mercury raced around the sun so often and so keen because the sun fascinated him and he wanted to inspect every nook and cranny of the blazing orb. 
It was a shame Mercury fixated his attention away to the sun because behind him, Venus mesmerised the glowing stars with her bronze mane. Enchanting more than beautiful. So charming that even the bravest moon couldn't court her in the sky. Her surface is painted in gold, fitting a queen such as herself. 
Earth tagged along Venus. That's where we all live today. He has a sincere heart he hopes Venus will notice one day. But he is torn between joining his love for Venus and breathing in comfortable air for all the people living inside of him. To pursue love is to sign a death wish with fire. 
War never spares anyone; the galaxy included. There are veins streaming through this galaxy on Mars' behalf. There is a war approximately once in five decades. It is rumoured that every soldier who finds death on the battlefield, becomes a slave on the planet of Mars to serve an afterlife. Mars isn't kind and as greedy as he is, he shoots arrows into Earth's atmosphere. Hotter and hotter the land will become. Perhaps Earth will owe him a favour for bringing him closer to Venus. Of course, Mars isn't greedy alone. He's prideful and his arrows aren't shot out of vain. They're shot to prove to his big brother, Jupiter, he is better and as worthy as Jupiter is. Saturn and Uranus chuckled at the sibling rivarly between Jupiter and Mars. They gossiped and placed wagers on whom is the better planet. Both would lose their stars because there is no greater orb in the sky than the sun. 
Which scientist claimed there wasn't seas in the sky? Mad men! Neptune howls currents cold enough to freeze a man alive within milliseconds. It's a cold planet but only because of Neptune's memories. Oracles gossip Neptune drowns himself every evening to relive his horrifying memories and thus, Pluto's depression sinks him lower and lower. 
That was the order of the planets since the beginning of time. But time has a way of changing, adapting, twisting. It's manipulated and thwarted by one true force of love. If powerful enough, the planets will fall. And the planets were tilted off their axis, spinning around the endless galaxy. Suddenly, that original speck's anatomy sneezed and a force field erupted; disease plagued the upper worlds. 
This ancient tale begins in midieval times where kings ruled countries and gold bought sheep. There was a blue eyed little girl, Meredith, whom the king loved dearly. It was his daughter afterall. All who saw her either envied or adored her, but vanity never seduced her pure heart. Her arms carried the strength of a dozen warriors and her heart carried the love of a dozen mothers. She never could have children so she treated Earth as her child. Nurturing trees, watering blooming flowers, nursing the ill back to health. The universe decided some sort of balance must remain and so, her father passed away from an unknown cancer. Year after year, she spent those days alone and nothing could replace her father's laughter. Her only company was a stable boy, Mambayan, who she used to flee from whilst they played a hiding game. He always won and she suspected it was because he was hiding something deep inside of him. How else would he have known her every hiding spot? As the years passed on, she no longer stuck her tongue out at him nor did she challenge him. Instead, her cheeks filled with roses and her mouth purred out giggles. They were destined to marry. 
Wedding bells pronounced them husband and wife, married until one of them would have an affair with death. Mambayan volunteered to cheat first and he rode with his comrades into battle. Arrows and knives wounded him and he was surely close to his end. But Meredith couldn't fathom the thought of her one and true love in a casket. God couldn't help her so she turned to the devil. A devil with two sharp fangs and a lust for blood. She promised him the finest blood in the castle, the blood of virgins. It was a bargain since she was not a virgin any longer and a child looming inside of her. 
The devil's pearly teeth sank into her soft flesh and drank her precious blood. In return, the devil forced her to drink his blood. A deep darkness settled into her veins and she impersonated the same procedure on her lover. When she returned to thank the devil for saving her husband's life, she found him rotting on the floor, eyes rolled back, blood pumping out of his mouth. The fool didn't know she was withchild. Pure blood doesn't fit well with the tainted. 
Murderer. She was a murderer and her victim was her only chance at a child. The kingdom rebelled against the lovers who now walked with the undead and cast them out. She destroyed a miracle for true love and the planets all fell to weep. 
Storms of fire and ice raged on earth. Someone must stop the madness or they would have all died! Both their hearts were plucked out of their ribcages and squeezed until the organs coiled up from the dryness. Love Blood in its' truest form is deadly, empowering, and strong. True love died on earth and the planets returned to their daily routine as if chaos had not reigned moments before. 
And there was no other hands stained with their blood other than my own. 
I twirled the little container once more, snapping out of those memories. A thump boomed in the walls. I leaped back. Please not another one of my nightmares. Then a long screeching sound, as if something were running a knife on steel. Fear shot up my throat and I realised I wasn't alone. 
Light blinded me. 


© 2014 La Catrina Calavera


Author's Note

La Catrina Calavera
Please fix any grammar problems and suggest more description anywhere! I'd really appreciate feedback on everything and anything!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"I focused my deviant gaze down below where a single lit latern slides a little more to the left with every rattling vibrations riveted by the anguished howls."

I believe that 'latern' should be lantern. :]
And.. I do believe that you could change 'every rattling vibrations' to.. 'every rattling vibration', or.. 'with each rattling vibration'.

'' It felt like I've lived in the dirt for eternities.''
Could be.. 'like I'd lived in the dirt'

"tailbone is sore and I can no longer remain seated on my bottom."
'tailbone was sore and I could no longer'



Just suggestions.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

La Catrina Calavera

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'll most definitely take it into consideration!



Reviews

"I focused my deviant gaze down below where a single lit latern slides a little more to the left with every rattling vibrations riveted by the anguished howls."

I believe that 'latern' should be lantern. :]
And.. I do believe that you could change 'every rattling vibrations' to.. 'every rattling vibration', or.. 'with each rattling vibration'.

'' It felt like I've lived in the dirt for eternities.''
Could be.. 'like I'd lived in the dirt'

"tailbone is sore and I can no longer remain seated on my bottom."
'tailbone was sore and I could no longer'



Just suggestions.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

La Catrina Calavera

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'll most definitely take it into consideration!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 30, 2014
Last Updated on September 30, 2014
Tags: halloween, day of the dead, mexico, blood, horror, scary, story