Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by C-Cubed

 

“No, I don’t think we should kill her.”

 

“Why Though? She is the whole problem isn’t she?”

 

“No, that’s why we can’t kill her. Her…other causes a problem.”

 

“Other? Then she has a mate.”

 

“Yes, and I don’t kill mated deer. You know that.”

 

“I always wondered why.”

 

“My mate was killed and I know the pain. Just because they’re animals doesn’t mean we have to cause them to lose a mate.”

 

The other man frowned.

 

“Rolan Batalan, you entertain some of the strangest ideas.”

 

“And you, Francis Beaumode, are talking too loud.”

 

Francis seemed content to busy himself looking around the area before he responded.

 

“We’re hunting vampires aren’t we?”

 

“Yes, but don’t lose our cover. We’re hunting deer. If Alisan found out I’d be dead.”

 

“Right. deer. I see now.”

 

“Can you not,” he was interrupted by a loud yell and the clashing of steel, “What is that?”

 

“I don’t know but whatever it is it’s off to our right a little bit.”

 

Rolan cringed, still perplexed by how that worked with Francis. He always seemed to just know where what they sought was.

 

“Are you still put out by that ability?

 

“Yes Francis, I am.”

 

“Well, are we going?”

 

“Of course we are, we haven’t had a good fight in so long.”

 

There was a long scowl from the woman that just appeared from the forest trees and then a hate filled and commanding “no.”

 

“Seems your wife doesn’t want you to go Rolan.”

 

“Francis, since when I have listened to Als?”

 

“Let’s see Rolan…since you two got hitched.”

 

“No, damn you Rolan Juris Batalan.”

 

Francis simply smirked as Als, or Alisan, stood quite determined to stop him from advancing.

 

“Als, you know I have to do this. It’s our food on the table.”

 

“Rolan, if you go I do.”

 

“No, Als. You stay here.”

 

“Rolan Juris Batalan, I swear to the great savior that I will stick my foot where it doesn’t belong if you do not either desist in this battle or let me go.”

 

Francis laughed out loud turning away from the pair and hiding his face, slightly red from laughing so much.

 

“Alisan Kildaran Nuvaya. I will not have you in that battle and as such, Francis can go alone.”

 

Francis turned back to the group and shook his head.

 

“Like hell, there’s about twenty of them.”

 

“Francis, stop that, it’s freaky.” Rolan hissed out at him.

 

“What Rolan? I can’t stop my talents. Besides, your wife is more than capable of defending herself. I’ve seen her fight myself, she handles her lance better than most men.”

 

Rolan sighed and smirked. “You sure Als?”

 

“Yes Rols, I am.”

 

“Rols…I haven’t heard that one in awhile.”

 

She smiled back at him. “I guess you haven’t.”

 

Francis seemed quite calm to be out of place in such a situation, he simply turned and stared through the trees.

 

“Oh, nice. We don’t even have to go to them.”

 

Rolan shook his head, eventually he would just have to get used to his abilities. He turned to face the trees that Francis was staring at intently. Just then, several creatures stepped out of the shadows. All of them, all seven of them were lithe and red eyed, the red seeming to jump out and meet your gaze, forcing your blood back into your heart, almost stopping your existence. Their bodies hard and pale while they gracefully walked towards the group.

 

“How many of the cretins Francis?”

 

“Oh,” he stared off into the darkness happily, “Only thirteen.”

 

“Thirteen vampires? That’s a rather large coven.”

 

“Indeed.”

 

Als had been silent until now, when the sound of her lance ripping a vampire in two echoed around the area, causing the remaining vampires to stare back clearly agitated.

 

“Great one Als, now they’re mad.”

 

“You’re welcome honey, anything to help you get your adrenaline rush.”

 

Rolan smiled as he stared back at Francis. “Well Francis, after you.”

 

Francis smirked and stepped forward, within seconds the vampires were surrounding him and he simply smiled into their midst as they all fell upon him and then, nothing. He was gone, where was anyone’s guess. Rolan and Als both smirked and didn’t move, the vampires turning their attention on them until one of their kind was ripped from his spot and flung into a nearby tree. Francis had returned, now looking much more potent. His muscles had become widely pronounced and his walk was graceful, full of confidence and fun.

 

“He enjoys this too much.” Rolan snorted.

 

Als just smiled and moved forward to protect herself, she wasn’t worried that Rolan was unarmed and two of them were moving towards him. She knew he knew what he was doing. Sure enough, Rolan just muttered under his breath and smiled bowing.

 

“Hello there. Would you care to join us for tea?”

 

The creatures just stared back and hissed before charging him. It was their last mistake. Within a few seconds, the group was dismembered at Rolan’s feet; he kicked the pieces away and shook his head.

 

“Stupid creatures.”

 

“Humans. Stupid Humans.” Als corrected him while tearing the next one in two pieces.

 

“Fine, stupid humans.” He snorted at this and look over to Francis, who promptly nodded and then looked over to the last grouping of five.

 

Rolan stepped towards them blades emerging from both of his shirt sleeves. He smirked as they seemed to back away, having seen these blades before. Everyone knew what these blades meant and no one wanted to argue with their holder. The vampires began to scatter, all but three foolish ones. The other two were quickly taken down. He smirked one more time and then it was over. Moving as quickly as they could, the shreds began flying and before you could count to three, he was standing back at the same place smirking at some of the pieces of flesh floating down to the ground. Francis shivered across the way and Rolan smirked.

 

“So then we’re even Francis. You’re afraid of what these blades do to me and I’m afraid of you being a vampire. Did you at least feed?”

 

“Yes Rolan, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry, after spending a couple hundred years on the earth ignoring the smell of humans, I’ve become quite unaffected by it.”

 

“Good. So, how is it that we stay immortal?”

 

“I can’t say. The blades are said to give you all of our powers, thus the power of immortality. The lance on the other hand, is a mythical legend and any truth of its abilities is as yet unproven. It is supposed to grant the holder unending beauty and life. However, the difference between her lance and your swords, is that the swords also give you our strength and speed.”

 

Rolan nodded and looked over to Als. “So, how long have we been married?”

 

She smirked. “let’s see, two years after the death of your last mat,” She stopped and smiled weakly hoping he would miss it, “one hundred years.”

 

Rolan nodded, choosing to ignore the mention of the last mate he had lost. He didn’t blame her, she didn’t mean to hurt him by saying it. “It’s okay Alisan, you can say her name. I’ve all but forgotten that I loved her since I’ve met you. I love you now.”

 

Francis snorted. “Now, if only I would be as lucky as you Rolan.”

 

Rolan laughed. “Francis, give it time. I bet we find the perfect one for you.”



© 2008 C-Cubed


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on April 28, 2008


Author

C-Cubed
C-Cubed

TN



About
My biography, the shortest piece of work I've ever written. It's simple, I was born, I learned to write, I learned to speak and ever since then I've wrote my thoughts out on paper. I love reading, aft.. more..

Writing
Not Named Not Named

A Book by C-Cubed