The Gift of Life

The Gift of Life

A Story by Carole

We watched United 93 tonight.  I lay on the couch snuggled up under my soft green velour blanket shuddering in disbelief, my heart  gripped with fear for each of the passengers on that fateful flight that morning.

My heart winced with pain with every phone call that was made to loved ones from the phones behind the seat ahead of them.  Compelled to make contact one last time by the love for each of those they held dear, they picked up the phone located behind the seat in front of them and dialed with shaky fingers and lumps in their throats.  As their hearts pounded loudly within, some who had never prayed, begged God to let someone pick up the phone at home.  They needed the solace and comfort that would come with the voice on the other end.

With every tear that fell to the floor boards of United Flight 93, my heart writhed with pain as I watched the look of anguish on each pain stricken face. I empathized deeply with the pain of the husband and daddy that told his wife he loved her and to kiss his boys for him; the wife that called her husband to reaffirm a love she thought would never end; the daughter or son that called home to talk to mom and dad one more time; the flight attendant who shared with her husband the horrific details of the hijacking as tear after tear streamed down her face.  Todd Beamer who prayed the "Our Father" and recited Psalm 29 with his wife Lisa while on the phone bringing comfort and peace like God's word always does, until the phone line went stone cold dead.

 I couldn't help but ask myself, "What if that were me? What if I were one of the passengers on United Flight 93 who unknowingly answered the intercom call of the flight attendant to board that particular jet on that particular day?  If I knew I were walking into a situation like that would I live my life now differently?  Are there things I would do, places I would go, or words I would speak without fear?

Chances are, the majority of the passengers on United Flight 93 had no idea what awaited them on the other side of the terminal as they boarded the plane that September morning.  For many of them, it was business as usual.  More than likely, some were flying out on business trips.  Still others were going to visit relatives.  Perhaps some were on their way back home.  It is likely most of them did not know that day would be the last time they would see their family and friends here on this earth.

Just like they didn't know what September 10, 2001 held for them that next day, neither my friends, do we.  Every day that we live is a GIFT.  United 93 was a reminder I needed. While I am not condemned, and neither should you be, I am convicted. It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day circumstances of life and to lose our focus; to lose our spirit of thanksgiving. We forget so quickly what and who we have to be thankful for.  Maybe we have been taking a few people for granted and it's time to do a little about face...

Whatever the case, NOW is the time to tell your mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son, or  friend how much you love them and appreciate them.  Not tomorrow.  Not next week.  Don't hold back that word of affirmation, the hug, the kiss, the pat on the back, or the encouragement that is in your heart.  None of us knows what tomorrow holds...


A wise friend once told me, "Plan like you will live a thousand tomorrows, but live every day like it will be your last."  Don't lose focus when life becomes laden with trials.   Stop and regroup and take time to regain prospective on what really matters.  Make every day count!  But above all, remember:  Life is a Gift.  Cherish it.  Honor it--and do the same for those you love.

© 2009 Carole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have yet to see the movie.. i do remember some controversy about whether it was appropriate..

I love all you said here and I do agree with you.. none of us know what tomorrow may bring.. petty fighting ect. should not come between us.. i don't like going to sleep at night with any disagrements with anyone.. I truly enjoyed reading this.. this is food for thought .. nourishment for the soul also.
You wrote this with passion from your heart and soul.

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

carol, the messege you have so beautifully delivered, amazing, in the way of understanding,
and being able to lend your total empathy toward the entire heartbreaking event, as wll as
lend your compassion for the unfortunate victims who sadly perished in United flight 93,
you bring events to light with truly brilliant depth of being able to relate and learn and
be humbled with gratefulness, your words have the real ability to move the reader, mike


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a fitting tribute and wonderful lesson to us all. You wrote this in such a moving and personal way as each of us read it. It took on a very real.
hugs Debby

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

That was and is a sad time in the lives of the family members and yet it seem so long ago,, children now in college and hopefully not forgot there loves one but got on with theres lives ,which I think there daddy or mother brother sister granparets would wont them to do. This brought back that moment in time very clearly to my minds eye, GBU and yes let us always say we love everyone, I love you as my sister in Christ as to anyone who reads this,,nce again GBU,,RodneyRay

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I don't really know what to say, Carole.

This is very well written with a good flow to it. Your descriptives are excellent, too.

As for the story itself, I am extremely touched by it. It is very moving story with the right amount of detail. Emotions. I'm glad you included your emotions with it as it brings out the true horror of what went on there that day.

Excellent work, Carole!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I have yet to see the movie.. i do remember some controversy about whether it was appropriate..

I love all you said here and I do agree with you.. none of us know what tomorrow may bring.. petty fighting ect. should not come between us.. i don't like going to sleep at night with any disagrements with anyone.. I truly enjoyed reading this.. this is food for thought .. nourishment for the soul also.
You wrote this with passion from your heart and soul.

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Amen, Carole. Your story is a good reminder when we get caught up in things that don't really matter. You expressed your thoughts on this with smoothness and flair.One thing I noticed was this:Stop and regroup and [delete 2nd "and" by repunctuating] take time to regain prospective [PERspective] on what really matters. P.S. I meant to give you 4 stars. So ignore the one star rating. 'Tain't true :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on January 1, 2009

Author

Carole
Carole

Rio Rancho, NM



About
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore... And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..