Good-Bye Chicago

Good-Bye Chicago

A Chapter by kc
"

Ruth's family leaves Chicago to begin their journey west.

"

 

Ruth Denning looked at the plot of land that was once the apartment complex her family had lived in. It was Wednesday; only days after the fire began late Sunday, the Lord’s Day. She could not believe her eyes. Nothing, nothing at all, existed. It was as if there had been no buildings there to begin with. The only signs of previous residence were the charred remnants of brick and metal, the structure of her home. She choked back a sob. Her dolls, her dresses, all were lost in the fire. Instant shame washed over the fifteen year old girl. Despite being a decent age, an age much too old to be whining over materialistic items, Ruth felt deep loss without her possessions.

“Ruth,” Her sister Meredith started. “We need to go.” Meredith was right. It was time to move on. Although her eldest sister was only eighteen, she was the wisest person she knew excluding their dear mother, God rest her soul. Meredith had recently married a carpenter, and because the Denning siblings had been orphaned several years ago when their father died of Influenza, Meredith’s husband, Benjamin Booth, took the family in. There was Ruth, her eleven year old sister Shannon, and her nine year old brother Elliot. It was a big responsibility, but Ben was a decent, kind man and he took care of the family well.

“Very well.” Ruth murmured, turning to her sister. Yesterday, after realizing the extent of the catastrophe that had hit Chicago, Benjamin had decided to move the family west, into Indian Territory. Ruth did not quite understand his intentions, but she supposed the possibility of land of his own was too great to pass up. So they would leave the charred and desolate Chicago in hopes of a new home, where they could start fresh. Today was moving day.

“Where’s Shannon and Elliot?” Ruth asked, looking around in fear. Since the fire, which had nearly killed her family, she had stressed terribly over the two children. Besides Meredith and Ben they were all she had left, and Ruth would make sure nothing harmed them.

“In the wagon, Ruth. They’re sleeping.” Meredith replied calming, patting her sister’s arm in reassurance. The eldest sister was a rock; Ruth did not understand how the current devastation did not faze her sister as it had her. Perhaps Meredith was hiding it, or maybe she was being strong for all of them. Ruth did not know, nevertheless, she was thankful for her sister’s care and confidence.

Together the two sisters headed to the nearby wagon, where Benjamin was holding the reigns of two magnificent mustangs. He had bought them that morning for cheap. Everyone was trying to buy materials to repair their homes, or put food in their mouths, that it caused the market to become wild. Horses were being sacrificed to survive, and it benefitted the Booth and Denning clan. “I am sorry, Ruth. I know you don’t want to leave Chicago.. I just..” Ben did not know how to continue, how to comfort a fifteen year old girl.

“Ben, don’t try and comfort me. I will be all right.” She nodded at him and attempted a smile, but it was hardly made. The girl was far too depressed to smile.

She climbed in the back of the wagon while Meredith sat in the front with her husband. They were really, truly leaving. She wasn’t sure if she would ever see the towering buildings again. It was happening so fast that Ruth hadn’t even said good-bye to her girlfriends. She had not visited her pastor, Jon Wilkes, and thanked him for all his prayers and assistance. She hadn’t said good-bye to Ma and Pa, who were buried in a cemetery on the eastern edge of Chicago. It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair. The litany played over and over in her head. Eventually, as she sat beside her sleeping siblings, the loll of the wagon helped Ruth to drift asleep for the first time in three long, exhausting days. Good-bye, Chicago.

                After several hours pasts, and they were long out of Chicago, Meredith looked into the wagon to check on the children. Elliot was lying against Ruth, while Shannon curled at the older girl’s feet. She couldn’t believe they had all escaped the fire. Elliot had a small burn on the back of his hand, and Benjamin’s beard had been singed, but they were otherwise uninjured. Meredith turned to her husband and smiled. He was amazing, wonderful, everything she desired in a man. He was strong and confident, charismatic and humorous, dominating and sweet. Ben was the boy next door, and for the longest time Meredith had despised the hateful terror across the way. But as she grew into a young woman her disdain turned to adoration, and the two eventually fell in love. They married earlier that year, in April. He was the love of her life.

                “What are you thinking?” Ben asked, noticing his wife’s solemn smile.

                “Just about how much I love you, and how much I appreciate you caring for my family.” She replied cutely. Meredith leaned her head on his strong shoulder and sighed contently. She did not know what was ahead, but all her trust was in Benjamin. He would care for them, one way or another.

                “Our family.” He corrected with a grin. “I love you sisters and brother. They are good kids, and very helpful. I can only hope that our children will be half as good as them.”

                “About that..” Meredith began softly. “I’m expecting.”

                The wagon nearly came to a halt as he pulled back on the reign. Meredith screeched in slight terror, this slapped his shoulder playfully. Her face was red with glee, but she made a hushing gesture and nodded towards the sleeping children. The look on Ben’s face was priceless. He kept opening his mouth and snapping in shut, unsure how to begin. He suddenly stopped the wagon and turned to Meredith, pulling her into a tight and loving embrace. He smothered her with kisses and caresses her lean stomach. There were no obvious signs of a baby, but Ben felt as if he could feel its heartbeat beneath his hand, despite it being far too early. “Meredith, my heart, my love, I love you so much. I will cherish this child, and make sure you are always happy. We’ll have a wonderful life, and live the rest of our lives in bliss.” They weren’t empty promises. Benjamin meant what he said, and knew that he would do his very best by his growing family. It was an exciting and wonderful beginning to their new life together.



© 2013 kc


Author's Note

kc
Is this a good intro, or should I have began before the fire? I am fighting with this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on January 27, 2013
Last Updated on January 27, 2013
Tags: intro, chicago, journey, west, sad, fire, new, beginning


Author

kc
kc

Mount Vernon, IL



About
I am new to this site and working on a story about a family moving into Nebraska Territory after the Great Chicago Fire destroys their home in late 1871. Enjoy, and don't steal. Thanks! more..

Writing
A Promise of Happiness A Promise of Happiness

A Chapter by kc


Yellow Roads Yellow Roads

A Book by kc