X-Men: Days of Future Past (Review)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Review)

A Story by Irish Maths
"

Review of the Blockbuster movie! Minor Spoilers.

"

Okay, some Quicksilver was cute and adorable. And yes, that was an awesome scene. Stole the show. And yes, Jennifer Lawrence was also cute and adorable. Most of the heavy lifting is done by Wolverine, Mystique, Professor X (Charles), and Magneto (Erik). Beast, Kitty Pryde, Quicksilver, Bolivar Trask, and Major (Spoiler) also have important roles in this movie.


To me, personally, the most interesting aspect of the movie is the time travel element, Like, a) How and b) What happens when you go travel back in time and change history? How does this affect you?


Certain time-travel paradoxes are ignored in this movie. Like, what happens if you travel back in time and kill your Grandfather before he impregnated your Grandmother? How were you born? And if you were never born then who went back in time?


But other questions about time are brought up " such as the immutability of time, and how it is like a river. By going back in time, and changing an event, you create a ripple. But the current self corrects and the river still stays its course and reaches its ultimate destinations. If you throw a pebble in a river, it will create a ripple, but the current self corrects and the river still goes where it was going. This, of course, flies in the face of the Butterfly Effect (theory), where, if you go back in time and kill a butterfly there it totally changes the course of history.


Now, before watching this movie, I read Claremont's yummy Uncanny X-Men run from Issue 94 to Issue 142, to better appreciate the movie. Also having some vague recollection of the first three X-Men movies helped. Just rounds out the story a little more. And now let's detour into Claremont's Phoenix Saga which (if you ask me) began in Issue 100, and ended in issue 136, with 137 being the epilogue, and 94-99 being the prologue. The third X_Men movie made a meal of this saga, but Director Bryan Singer did state that it was one of the goals of this movie to fix some of the mistakes of X3 - The last Stand.


All in all, DOFP is like completely awesome and stuff. JLaw is cute and adorable, young Erik will make you go who played Magneto in this movie, young Charles is interesting, Quicksilver - maligned before the movie for his look, but cute and adorable! - and Bolivar Trask - smooth. Bryan Singer deserves credit, as does Simon Kinberg, who he co-wrote it with. Hugh Jackman stuck through the X-Men franchise through some pretty dodgy ones after Singer left following X2, but it's all come full circle. This movie definitely makes it worth it. And I'll end on this, Nicholas Hoult, as the young Beast, was lots of fun to watch in this movie as well.

© 2014 Irish Maths


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I plan on seeing this movie so I hope this did not spoil anything really important! This is thorough and I am not sure I understand the time travel aspect of your review but still helped me build a picture. I have to see the movie. I hear it is good and you seem to think so, too.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Never seen anything to do with X men so can't comment.
Sorry friend.


Posted 9 Years Ago


I plan on seeing this movie so I hope this did not spoil anything really important! This is thorough and I am not sure I understand the time travel aspect of your review but still helped me build a picture. I have to see the movie. I hear it is good and you seem to think so, too.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 28, 2014
Last Updated on May 29, 2014
Tags: Review, X-Men