Our Sentimental Hero

Our Sentimental Hero

A Story by Irish Maths

Our Sentimental Hero

 

So, it’s going to be Kylian Mbappe vs Lionel Messi in the 2022 FIFA World Cup Final. On one hand, we have one footballer who is being hailed as the generational talent of this generation especially after his performances in the 2018 World Cup and then again in this World Cup. On the other hand, we have indisputably one of the greatest talents we have ever seen. 35 going on retirement - quite inconceivable that he will play another World Cup, though you never say never. Roger Milla played the 1990 World Cup at 40 and lit it up. Messi is such a romantic figure. Forever he has played under the shadow of Diego Maradona. He has had the pressure of a football mad nation on his shoulders his whole life. In Cristiano Ronaldo he has had a constant competitor for the crown of the world’s best footballer. At 35, he is the grizzled veteran. He is chasing that one elusive trophy. On 12/18/2022, France will start as favourites. Argentina will start as sentimental favourites. Lionel Messi - will he go out with a World Cup to his name or will that elusive trophy remain elusive? He has won many laurels, many trophies, but we all know the World Cup is the World Cup. Win it and you’ve cemented your place as one of the all time greats. Lose it - and you’ll always be that transcendental talent, a club legend, but one who could not get it done for his country, not when it really counted. France are the reigning, defending World Cup Champions and the red hot favourites to defend their crown, but in Lionel Messi we have our sentimental hero. Most of the world will be rooting for him. Let's see how it goes. The stage is set, the time is now…

 

© 2022 Irish Maths


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on December 16, 2022
Last Updated on December 16, 2022