I REMEMBER THE WIND

I REMEMBER THE WIND

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

The wind would whisper my name...

"

 

I remember the wind…

When I was just a boy

it used to sing to me…

uttered secrets at night…

took me into its confidence...

The wind would whisper my name,

then speak of my destiny

in its howling voice…

Time came

when the wind sat still

hovering over earth in silence.

Other voices

whispered now…

spoke of my foolishness…

told me I was nothing…

haunted my days with

mumblings…

murmurings…

mutterings…

They pierced this boy

with rumors and pain.

How I longed for the wind

to speak to me again,

as the years etched

scars deep in my soul…

In my despair

I called out its name

and it came to me

in whispers once more...

the voice of an angel

breathed into me afresh…

said my soul was free,

and I knew it was so…

I smile now when

I remember the wind…

© 2010 An owl on the moon


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

An owl on the moon
Written as a reminder to me of the despair and depression that nearly overtook me. I am so very thankful now for each new day that is like a priceless gift

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The time of carefree youth when anything was possible, the wind spoke to you at night. Soft breezes blowing into an open bedroom window gently touching your face and body. Telling you all the wonderful things the world had in store for you. Then suddenly all is a deathly quiet and there is a new sound of despair and depression. Odd, how loud they can be. The wind is still there, but their constant mumblings drown the wind out. Until the day you call out loudly enough for the wind to hear and it carried you a healing message. Upon releasing the wind, despair and depression were evicted and your soul could once more breath. You were whole again. May you continue to be blessed with the soft breezes of life. This was a beautiful work about the sadness that can suddenly emerge, plunging one into darkness, but ends on such a positive note.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The elements don't lie, they are extremely comforting to me as well Craig. I have been struggling depression for some time myself and there is no better cure than a walk in the wind, rain, moonlight or sun. All these elements have a positive affect on our psyche. A walk in the crisp morning air is rejuvenating, exhilarating and therapeutic, it seems to hold me in its arms and whisper 'all will be well' Good enough for me.
I love this, it is therapeutic in itself and testimony to those in need.
Thank you for your honesty Craig, it takes a big person with a lot of heart to create awareness to assist people in not only recognizing there own rut, but how to go about dealing with the loneliness that accompanies this global issue.

Helen :-) *Big smiles*

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very relatable, I think I like your happy/ calming ones better though (no offense). but this was very good, I can sense the raw emotion pouring through this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An absolutely beautiful piece. Loved it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig, this is just so beautiful because its realistic quality enables the reader to recall the scars and despair.

It definitely holds a haunting quality. The ending is magnificent; its just couldn't be any better.

I don't usually repeat verse but I must here :

in whispers once more...
the voice of an angel
breathed into me afresh...
said my soul was free,
and I knew it was so...
I smile now when
I remember the wind...

Many winds in our lives change us, yes? You are a classic poet, my dear friend. Brilliant work. Thank you.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can feel the ache as you express your emotions with the pain that life can bring. In this case, you remind us all that we are strong enough to make it through the times of pain that have in to our lives. With this prose you remind us that we can make it through these times, and come out a stronger wiser person as you have. Well done~ Jude :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this poem emmensly. First, because it really gives off emotion from the first line to the last. Your words seem dark and then towards the end, they give off a small stream of light. It's a great poem in itself, and it is easy to see the journey that you have made throughout it, and the thankfulness you now feel. Very touching.



"..." - You use these three dots so much, that it is a bit distracting to the reader. It makes me stop at every line which a simple line break could do. Or maybe just use a period, but I felt the '...' were unneccessary.

"then speak of my destiny" - Maybe you can expand just a bit on the destiny bit. Like "a great destiny" or something like that so your audiance gets the sense of whether or not it is a good destiny or a tragic one. I hope that makes sense.

"hovering over [Earth]earth in silence." - Earth is capitalized when you are talking about the planet itself, and not capitalized when you are talking about dirt and such.

"They pierced this boy" - you move from 'when I was just a boy' to 'this boy' and it makes the poem seem less personal than it was in the beginning. Reword it a bit, possibly?


=YourMidnightSecret=

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What inspiring words and feelings! Wind has a special meaning for me as well and goes hand in hand with the four directions. Thank you! May I add this to my favorites?
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First, I'd like to say that as someone who has battled depression, off and on for most of my adult life, I found this piece to be highly inspirational. Listening to the wind, dancing in the rain, walking on a beach at sunset/sunrise, can all be very spiritual experiences. Nature, in all its forms, has a healing quality that is often overlooked in today's world. Thank you for sharing this deeply personal write. I was very moved by it, and will treasure it in my favourites.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BEAUTIFUL

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your poetry is always beautiful, always refined, but this is something so fragile and personal that I'm just sitting .. recovering from its touch.

There's something about the wind, the way it takes hold of one's world and for a while, alters it this way or that, or - makes one feel part of its own space; it can make one feel scared when it howls or blissful when it refreshes, and so forth. It seems here that it's your friend, always your friend.

You've captured the very essence of the wind in this poem. The very fact that it still whispers to you, still makes you feel safe and secure, is very special.

Thank you for sharing a little corner of your feelings and, a wonderful piece of writing. It's going into Favourites.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1140 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 20, 2009
Last Updated on June 3, 2010

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..