A TREASURE IN A CHILD

A TREASURE IN A CHILD

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

A miracle in the midst of the madness…

"

 

In moments of earthen rage

When horrors grip our planet’s cage

 

And rip us from our sleep

Take children from their mother’s keep

 

Fires rage in city streets

While solid rock in dread retreats

 

Some grip and cling to bread

While others give to spite the dread

 

World torn where Tia lived

An orphan with but herself to give

 

Desperation her daily song

Now music of her father moves strong

 

How he sought for her

And fierce refused to be deterred

 

Until he saw his jewel

And plucked her from the cruel world

 

Now wrapped in arms so tight

She’ll smilingly dream into this night

 

In moments of earthen wilds

He found such treasure in a child…

 

© 2010 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
Image is of Missy and Mike Wilson holding newly adopted Tia from Haiti… You may find out more about Tia’s story at: http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/wztv_vid_2563.shtml

I also recommend reading “Man’s Search for Meaning” (1946) by Viktor Frankl, who saw such despair in a concentration camp… realizing some would steal bread from the dying, and others would share their last crust… seeing the depth of both good and evil that lies within each of us. Courage is certainly not the absence of fear. It is being willing to act to spite your fears.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very good write...as usual. What happened in Haiti is so sad. They were a poor country to begin with, and now they have more to deal with. And who knows how they will come out in the end. I for sure hope that they turn out ok. Anyways about your poem. I thought it was very good. Tia looks like she would be a sweet little girl. Thank God she has a family now. AWESOME write can't wait for more!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderful story, wonderful write. A very heartfelt poem that's illuminating and uplifting as well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This poem has the soul of a humanist.

Posted 14 Years Ago


O Craig this is so very touching and inspiring!! can't write enough how much I loved this piece...eyes moistened up instantly after reading...you speak of the compassion, hope and humanity that lurks behind the bitter strife and turmoil...hope every living Tia in Haiti finds a home for shelter and a family for love and ultimate bliss. Amazing piece of work again!
Ru.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was a wonderful story. Uplifting moments in the middle of turmoil. You did a great job on this...loved it...

Posted 14 Years Ago


What a wonderful look at Tia's story...thanks for posting a story of hope when we are seeing so much loss...you keep us in the balance and do so with such finesse. Excellent as always Craig!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Great writing full of energy and a miraculous ending for a little girl and couple. There certainly would be good and bad in Haiti taking place.. as the best and worst of people come out in tragedies.. sometimes a mix as one may have to steal to eat .. than with the other hand share with strangers I would imagine grocery markets would have been plundered.

This was really touching.. the flow, rhythm and rhyme were piercing.. hopefully Tia adjusts to her new home and is happy with her new life.. a beautiful miracle radiates from a tragedy... job well done Craig.



Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a wonderful story. There was a family on the news a few days ago who were ready to adopt a couple of little boys. Luckily they were safe. It broke my heart to think of how many possible people lost a child, parent or a sibling there So many times I think we take for granted the world in which we live. Then something like this happens that is a force of nature. Then it puts us to the test on how we respond to a crisis as a whole. This was a wonderful piece and very well written. It flowed well. I am glad this family found their child.

Posted 14 Years Ago


a moving piece - very nice message of hope -- especially needed now when so many are in despair. So happy for Tia

Posted 14 Years Ago


a very heartfelt and moving piece ... i thought you did a great job on this and i thought this sent a uplifting message of faith..overall i thought you did well on this write a very touching piece!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh what a wonderful piece of writing.. I had a feeling you'd find something miraculous in the awful horror of what's going on in Haiti .. there's hope in what you've written so movingly .. and oh how much hope those poor souls need. I praye things are better organised over the next few days so that more can be saved., seems very chaotic.

Craig, this poem is wonderful and I'll certainly find the book or order it from the library.

Thank you for sharing your heart and more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1049 Views
27 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 20, 2010
Last Updated on February 13, 2010

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing