In Awe of Pebbles and Playwrights

In Awe of Pebbles and Playwrights

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

She speaks in riddles music...

"

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    Silent circling seabirds stroke the air.  Beneath their shadows granite statues line the dreaming shore. A girl with raven hair, an ashen dress, and a thousand beads appears, and a brilliance of light engulfs us. I turn and am enveloped within her eyes.

     She speaks in riddle’s music. “Be honest in your waking times or the truth will haunt your dreams.”

     “Please, would you speak to me again?  Why do I find you here?” I say.  “Here in this wasteland where I am barren and empty.  Have you no word for me?”

     Her gray, gypsy shadow becomes flesh and her riddles flow like spring rain.

 

“A pebble thrown in a pool

may ripple from end to end,

but tossed into the sea,

it is swallowed by enormity.”

 

     A screaming silence surrounds us, though waves claw the shore in hushed strokes.  My words claw at my throat.  “In silent words, you speak so much.”

     “And you, though you speak volumes, say precious little.  Don’t you know that words are actors set in motion, and you are the playwright?  They can create a mood of harmony or destroy peace in violent isolation.  Words are civilians or soldiers; artists or autocrats; worshippers or pagans.  They make you rich or sell you into poverty.  Master them and you rule, or be mastered by them and serve.”  She pauses in red reflections.

     “Words can sway the masses; words can sway your own soul.”

     I turn my back to the sea.  Its salt is stinging.  “And what of me in this empty place? Am I a pebble in a pond or tossed in the sea? What of me?”

     “Only you can glimpse what you will be. Look within you, and not in the shallows… look deep in the chasms past all hope of land… What do you see there? Look deep and ponder what you perceive…”

     Her raven hair lifts as if wings, she turns away, and all fades to white and whispers in the salted sun.

© 2011 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Don’t you know that words are actors set in motion, and you are the playwright? They can create a mood of harmony or destroy peace in violent isolation. Words are civilians or soldiers; artists or autocrats; worshippers or pagans."

These few lines are enough to tell me about the wisdom of the beautiful maiden near that sea. Her words are of white gold.

This sounds like one of those dreamy dreams you glimpse in an afternoon snooze. Full of truth and calming sea waves. Interesting write. Keep going.

-Wela.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
ah yes! you give such knowledge to the character, the writing is, as always brilliant! it has a dream like cadence and feel to it! it all flows well - a surreal trip! nice!

Posted 13 Years Ago


“A pebble thrown in a pool
may ripple from end to end,
but tossed into the sea,
it is swallowed by enormity.”
Oh how true and how it is a truism of life that it is better to be a big fish in a small sea than a small fish in big sea beautiful canvas wonderous the art you paint upon it


Posted 13 Years Ago


"Don’t you know that words are actors set in motion, and you are the playwright?"
I do now.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A great piece. Very compelling and this person that you write of is alive within my mind as you painted it so perfectly.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
:)
:) I have many thoughts, but nothing that makes sense at the moment.

Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


You make this 'person' so beautiful and so wise- first speaking in parables .. and then it is all clear.. so much meaning within this short story.
Makes one want to look deep within and really see themselves , what they are, could be.. beautiful wisdom in such a mysterious story.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


That was quite compelling... some very deep meanings that will mean different things to different people.

Master them and you rule, or be mastered by them and serve.

Brilliant.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I can only simply say here is, wow! This piece goes beyond beautiful and reaches way down to the bottom of your gut and forces you to face your own realities. Dreams and reality combined to create a duality.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Holy crap, this was philosophical overload. Great analogies, beautiful passages and an overall feeling of confusion and doubt spliced together with a gradual hope. What a lesson disguised in beautiful words...nice write my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2048 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on February 22, 2011
Last Updated on March 11, 2011

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Alice blue Alice blue

A Poem by Robin