And the Voices Cry FREEDOM

And the Voices Cry FREEDOM

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

ON THIS, THE BIRTHDAY OF A NATION…

"




 


 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Image of bull trampling foes…”

Palette of Narmer (3000 BC)

SCANDAL

Tyrants triumph over the weak, crushing the song… And the voices cry: “FREEDOM!”

 

 “If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out.”

Code of Hammurabi (1790 BC)

ABUSES

I don’t want justice… give me revenge… And the voices cry: “FREEDOM!”

 

“Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people,  making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless..”

The prophet Isaiah 10:1-2 (700 BC)

INDULGENCES

Yet one must feed the fires of power and gluttony with endless souls… And the voices cry: “FREEDOM!”

 

“In peace, before him, we moved around in friendship. By his exalted word, all the kings who sit upon thrones. throughout the world, from the Upper Sea to the Lower Sea, who live in the districts far-off, the kings of the West, who dwell in tents, all of them.”

Cyrus Cylinder (539 BC)

SHAME

Empires of eloquence and endless hunger rape the harmony of treaties…  And the voices cry: “FREEDOM!”

 

“To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice. [40}” 

Magna Carta (1215 AD)

OUTRAGE

Oratory rants and raves, justice for the right price… And the voices cry: “FREEDOM!”

 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The Declaration of Independence (1776 AD)

DISHONOR

We declare democracy for the people… especially those with influence… And the voices cry: “FREEDOM!”

 

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

The New Colossus on the Statue of Liberty (1883 AD)

ARROGANCE

Drive out the renegades and rebels… those who cross our walled borders…  And the voices cry: “FREEDOM!”

 

“All peoples shall be equal; they shall enjoy the same respect and shall have the same rights. Nothing shall justify the domination of a people by another.”

African Banjul Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (1981 AD)

SORROW

And those in power give rhythmic, rhetoric, and hollow rhymes… May every voice in every land cry: "FREEDOM!" forevermore…

© 2011 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
SOURCES OF POLITICAL REFERENCES

*Painting by Goya… The Third of May, 1808

*“Image of bull trampling foes…”
Palette of Narmer (considered first political history, circa 3000 BC)

*“If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out.”
Code of Hammurabi (1790 BC)

*“Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widow their prey and robbing the fatherless..”
The prophet Isaiah 10:1-2 (700 BC)

*“In peace, before him, we mov[ed] around in friendship. [By his] exalted [word], all the kings who sit upon thrones. throughout the world, from the Upper Sea to the Lower Sea, who live in the dis[tricts far-off], the kings of the West, who dwell in tents, all of them.”
Cyrus Cylinder (539 BC)

*“To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice. [40}”
Magna Carta (June 15, 1215 AD)

*“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
The Declaration of Independence (July 4, 1776 AD)

*“Give me your tired, your poor,Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”
Emma Lazarus (The New Colossus on the Statue of Liberty originally written 1883 AD)

*“All peoples shall be equal; they shall enjoy the same respect and shall have the same rights. Nothing shall justify the domination of a people by another.”
African Banjul Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Adopted June 27, 1981)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Definitely a powerful statement, I enjoyed the quotes you have used throughout and I agree with Eclipsing........sorrow rings out here..yet, we shall still cry FREEDOM!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A grand statement ...but what rings truest to My ears is the last lines...."
SORROW

And those in power give rhythmic, rhetoric, and hollow rhymes… May every voice in every land cry: "FREEDOM!" forevermore…

in this moment we cry "FREEDOM!"

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is so touchy. We the Bangladeshi people know what a man can do to gain freedom. We fought in 1971 and sacrificed millions of lives for this. When I come to know about our war in 1971 to gain freedom I become very proud of our freedom fighters and also feel sad. The people of Bangladesh were being oppressed constantly and just couldn't tolerate it. They fought for freedom and achieved it. I can feel those emotion here in your poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I wish I could hug you, this is a masterpiece!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amen!!! I hope that there are always people to fight for freedom and what they believe in. As long as they fight, and demand to be heard they will be heard. Obviously I love it. Fantastic job :]



Posted 12 Years Ago


A wonderfully referenced piece of work. Many congratulations, my friend across the ocean.

' *“All peoples shall be equal; they shall enjoy the same respect and shall have the same rights. Nothing shall justify the domination of a people by another.” '

Those words could win friends in all fields, in all countries, and even in the judgement of people's writings.

Posted 12 Years Ago


what a great piece
and non fiction at that xD

Posted 12 Years Ago


Freedom is a good word. Used by many in all places. The value of freedom become worthwhile when we don't have it. Thank you for the powerful quotes. Have fun and be safe.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2093 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 4, 2011
Last Updated on July 4, 2011

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


I I

A Poem by Robin