Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Charlotte L R Kane

.CHAPTER ONE.

 

It’s May 1943, although Edward is not sure of the date as the days and hours roll together. Edward is a sailor in the Royal Navy and was posted to the ship as soon as he had turned eighteen, just a little over two years ago. Sea life all he knew as for the past two years he spent his time on board the ship. They came ashore every few and just for a few days. He grew up on his father’s farm in Ireland and remembered he always wanted to sail the oceans after he had visited the beach with docked ships. Edward often dreamed about spending his life out on a boat, having the open seas before you, smelling the fresh sea air as he arose the next morning.

Sat in his cabin however, Edward found himself thinking that it was not the lifestyle that he imagined. It wasn’t the excitement that he hoped for; instead, he faced danger each day. Edward knew when he joined that it would be dangerous but at the time he didn’t realise how dangerous. He thought his naivety back then. In his two years of being stationed in the ship, saw three other ships become sunk by the enemy. They took turns on the night shift to ensure the safety of the ship and the shipmates.

Growing up on an Irish Farm, Edward visited the beach once a year on a family holiday. Each time he would sit by the sea, staring out and imagining about life on the open seas. He would often imagine waking up and seeing the openness around him, being able to smell the salt in his cabin. He would be able to have his breakfast on the deck, watching as the sun glistened on the water. Unfortunately, it was not meeting its expectations and instead he woke up each day, his mind wondering if he and his shipmates would make it till the next day.

It was dark inside the cabin as the electricity was cut off by the storms and so they resorted to using candlelight. The flame flickered eagerly and caused dancing shadows on the walls and Edward noticed the letter sitting on the small wooden desk in the corner of his room. The Captain had enrolled them in a letter exchange programme with other people aiding in the war within the United Kingdom. Captain Lucas Hans told them that it would help to create friendships and circles outside their assigned ships, and would build their morale. Edward hadn’t taken much interest, hence why his letter stayed on his desk unopened since it had arrived that morning. He decided to read the letter so sat at the desk and grabbed the envelope. Moving the candle closer, he opened the envelope and pulled out the letter.

 

Dear Edward,

 

My name is Rose Jones and I am the woman who was selected to write. I work as a nurse in a small hospital in London, although it is becoming harder as this war continues and it’s becoming harder to do my duties. I am eighteen years old and have an older brother, William, who has been sent to fight in the war. I am afraid that I will not see him again; it has been nearly six months since I last heard from him. I am worried that something will happen before I see him again.

I learn from Matron that you are in the Navy and are now sailing the seas? That is amazing. I would love to see the ocean; my parents never took us to the beach. The beach is some place I wish to visit once the war is over. I joined this writing programme to try and help someone get comfort. I know it is difficult without friends and family being around. So I’m hoping that I can bring you some comfort between these pages. I hope that we can become friends. Oh I do hope that you will reply Edward, it would be a great honour to get to know someone who is protecting our waters.

I must go now because Matron wants us to have some more field training. I enclose my address and I hope that you will respond.

 

Goodbye Edward and all the best.

Rose Jones

 

Edward looked inside the envelope and pulled out Rose’s address. He re-read the letter and then placed it back into the envelope carefully and put it on his desk. Edward made the decision to reply to her and found some paper and a pen from inside his desk and lit another candle. He wondered how to respond; he did not know her.

Edward decided not to tell her not to get her hopes up about the ocean and that it may not be what she expected. He decided on a quick letter, like hers, to introduce himself. Edward put pen to paper and wrote ‘Rose’ and halted. Edward had not been around women when he was younger and therefore was unsure of how to speak to them. As soon his eighteenth birthday arrived he joined the Navy and there was no female crew members on board, so he didn’t have much experience. Edward scribbled a quick letter and then placed it into the envelope, wrote her address on the front and took it to the mail room as they had regular collections. Edward decided to go to the mess hall and join his shipmates for a few drinks. It wasn’t often they were given the chance and time to relax and enjoy each other’s company and so when the opportunity arose they took it.



© 2013 Charlotte L R Kane


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on August 30, 2013
Last Updated on August 30, 2013


Author

Charlotte L R Kane
Charlotte L R Kane

Swansea, United Kingdom



About
Charlotte L R Kane resides in Wales and was born in July 1988. She has a degree in Business Management and started writing in 2006 although it was only in 2012 that she thought about publishing some o.. more..

Writing