Engrave Good Things

Engrave Good Things

A Story by C. Lee Battaglia

A story goes that two friends were walking through the desert. At some point on their journey they had an argument, one friend slapping the other in the face.

The one who was slapped was hurt. Without saying anything he wrote in the sand, “Today my best friend slapped me in the face.”

They kept on walking until they found an oasis, where they decided to take a bath. The one who had been slapped got stuck in the mire and started to drown, but his friend saved him. After he recovered from that near-drowning experience, he wrote on a stone, “Today my best friend saved my life.”

The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend asked him, “After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand and now, you write on a stone. Why?” The other replied, “When someone hurts us we should write it down in sand where winds of forgiveness can erase. But, when someone does something good for us, we must engrave it in stone where the winds can never erase.”

© 2015 C. Lee Battaglia


Author's Note

C. Lee Battaglia
Forgive...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love that piece! Great work! I love how you write most of your pieces on these kinds of things. People should read about these kinds of things in life. Forgiveness is a big thing that you don't see everyday. Now days it takes a lot for someone to forgive someone else. I don't know why. I mean when someone has done me wrong I do everything I can to forgive them. I try to find a way or reason why they're being the way they are to me and you know it makes sense to me. They might be going through a bad day or things aren't just going in the right direction for them. So, you know I try to make sense of it all and forgive them, because really God wants us to forgive and forget! Great write and keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kind of like a folk tale. But I like it since it rings a good message. Nice write. Keep posting Lee

Posted 9 Years Ago


Beautiful story, with a beautiful moral. Loved it. Kudos!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was a good story, I liked where you were going with it... but there are a few things you should clean up in here if you want to get the points, thoughts, feelings and such out clearly. The "cleaning up" merely means that you go back through the story and proof read a little more... at least to make it flow better.

I liked how it easily went from one idea to the next and you didn't dilly dally for too long. Perhaps let us in on what the argument was about that caused the slap?

All in all, good read. Well done!

-Mila



Posted 9 Years Ago


:D This is a nice thought.

I recommend changing the end so that instead of telling with dialogue, show it by saying that the winds of forgiveness erased the words in the sand, but the words in the stone remain to this day.

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Rose

9 Years Ago

If you have time, it might help to show a bit of the argument that cause the slap.
I like that, it's very good. Nice job!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
6 Reviews
Added on February 23, 2015
Last Updated on February 23, 2015

Author

C. Lee Battaglia
C. Lee Battaglia

Alpine, UT



About
My name is C. Lee Battaglia and I love to read… I read so much that my Mom grounds me from reading and tells me to go do something else. I am 20 years old. I hated reading when I was little .. more..

Writing