the defenders son chapter 1 complete

the defenders son chapter 1 complete

A Chapter by chasemace518

Most stories begin with someone with a hard life at home, maybe a couple of bullies at school, and a crush he or she will eventually love. Not this story. In this story, we start with a boy named Luke Davis. He has a normal life at home (not counting that he does not know his father) and very normal life at school (and of course one bully). But everything about his life was normal. 

So let’s meet what will be our soon-to-be hero. 


Hi, my name is Luke Davis. I'm 14 years old and live in a small town called sacecreek (lower case S at the beginning). I'm currently on my way to the sacecreek middle school. We call it the Sfay because of our principal Mr Sfay saying he wishes the school was named after him.


“Earth to Luke, are you in there?” Said my friend Danny.


Danny is a short kid with a big sense of humour and very little knowledge. He has dark hair and little muscle, a long neck and scrawny build. Our parents are best friends so we grew up with each other.


“Are you gonna answer me?” Danny said.


“Uh yes, I think you should ask her out.”


“What? No, I was talking about going to the town's annual Halloween fest,” Said Danny 


“Oh, right. That,” I said. 


Of course, he is talking about that. His family owns a big building in the town that they use specifically for a haunted house. They invited me to be a zombie in their annual “ZOMBIE MAZE”..

I didn’t want to do it but, as usual, my mom was forcing me to.


“I really think we should add a zombie clown to the haunted house,” Danny said.


“But you loath clowns,” I said.


“This isn’t about me. It’s about the people and their scare factor!”, of course Danny would ignore his fear for something such as the “ZOMBIE MAZE”. Maybe if he could ignore his fear of the school bully like he ignores his Halloween fears, he could actually get a girlfriend.


“Yah ok cool,” I said.


“Luke are you ok? I mean you’re always quiet around Halloween, but this is just different. You seem distracted,” said Danny “and if it is about the ZOMBIE MAZE I said you wouldn’t want to do it. My parents thought it would help you with your Halloween fear.”


“Wow Danny that was below the belt, and no I just don’t get why we need to hire Zack as a zombie,” I said.


 “Look I know Zack is a bully, but we just need the help with this maze.”, he said, “Plus, he doesn’t need makeup to look like a zombie. It comes naturally for his family.”


“Wait you invited his family!” Great just what I need. Five crazy zombies. This is gonna be a great weekend.





The sfay is a big brick building filled with classrooms and teenagers seeking way too much attention.  For the majority of the year it is filled with dull lockers desperately in need of paint and students desperately in need of tutoring. But not now. Not during this holiday. No lockers, playground, or depression. It had been filled to the brim with halloween decorations.

Everything was covered from head-to-toe with fake webs, blood, bats, spiders, skeletons, and rather sad looking ghosts. Even the walls had been covered with cheesy posters with even cheesier puns to boot. All the teachers had detested the placement of such atrocities, but nobody really cared. 


“Well, I hate this!”, Danny said in a rather sarcastic tone.


“Looks like ZOMBIE MAZE has some competition”, I said


“Haha, very funny Luke.”


“It’s not my fault the school has better decorations.”


Just then the worst decoration walked in. It came in the form of a stalky, muscular, caucasian with brown hair, black pants, black t shirt, and a black leather jacket. All of a sudden the school lost 20 degrees and 10 hours of daylight.


“Hey losers,” Zack yelled at us “get ready for  gym class! I have a surprise for you Luke.” Then he headed towards Mr. Plumps classroom. 


I nearly lost my breakfast right then and there. Today was Thursday, which meant dodge ball. It was common knowledge that Zackery had a tendency to accidentally throw the ball rather hard towards the other in the class. And nobody enjoyed where he aimed the ball. But something about what he said was different. Almost like it left a scent of cruelty hanging in the air between us. It gave me goosebumps.


“What do you think he meant by that?” Danny asked.


“I don't know, but if we sit here speculating we’ll be late for spanish.” I said.




The spanish teacher had been droning on about some sort of conjugation for nearly an hour when the principle walked in with a new student. It was a girl around 15 with brown hair, a splatter of freckles on her nose, a scrawny, yet muscular, build, and was one of the most gorgeous people I had ever seen. She wore a set of hightops that had a rather distinctive symbol on them. What it was, or rather what it meant, I had no idea, but it kind of looked like a deer with bow leaning against it. Maybe I would work up the nerves to ask her about them later.


I wasn't the only boy to notice how drop-dead gorgeous she was. All around the room the boys had awakened to find that beautiful girl standing in the front of the room, even Danny who had almost always stayed asleep. Even when we had a test. Danny looked like he was drooling, the spanish teacher was stealing glances at her, and several girls were already planning to be her friend. 


“Luke! Look at me Luke.” Danny called/ whispered, “I think I’m in love with her. I need her.”


“I don't think she will be available in 10 minutes so you better hurry.” I whispered back. I typically tried not to notice girls, but this one was catching more eyes than a pizza on veggie night.


I tried not to notice her the whole period, but it  was hard with almost 10 guys whispering about her.

When I looked back I noticed her startling blue eyes staring directly at me. She had a hungry gleem like she was waiting for me to do something amazing.


The rest of the period I sat there awkwardly waiting for the bell to ring. The prickling on my neck never ceased while I sat there for the remainder of the class. I realized that this was going to be a long day.



After that period she followed me to my second. I was hoping she would be going somewhere else. No such luck. Turns out she has chemistry with me.


Throughout the period I could feet those piercing blue eyes sear into the back of my head, and I couldn’t help but wonder if I was being paranoid or not. Perhaps she just happened to be looking in my direction, or maybe she had learned to sleep with her eyes open. Either way, I never could escape the feeling of her eyes on my head.


Sure enough she followed me to the gym also. But something about her changed, as if she sensed something. When Zack walked in something in those eyes that I came to memorize quite well, it seemed to fill with pure unwrithed hatred. Almost as fast as it had appeared did it cease.. 


When Coach Smith called us all down from the bleachers to play dodgeball an overwhelming feeling of strength came over me. It was amazing. I felt like I could lift a truck. When I pulled myself up with the railing it bent under my fingers. I figured it was just the age of it. The whole gym looked like it had been there since the dark ages. 


I got down to the gym floor faster than I expected it felt like I was there than I wasn’t. Coach Smith made Zack and the new girl (who’s name I learned is Caitlyn Ivy) team captains. It didn’t really matter because I never get picked first. 


“Ladies first.”, said Coach Smith in his usual nonchalant tone.


“I pick Luke ,” Caitlyn said


“Well looks like you expect too much out of certain people again.” Zack called.


Wait do they know each other! Oh no , are they old friends? This is gonna suck.


“I’ve beaten you once before “Zack”,” Caitlyn said in a way that sounded almost threatening.


She said Zack so sarcastically. Almost as if she thought his name wasn’t really Zack. Or maybe she knew his name wasn’t zack (which after careful thought I knew was preposterous).


“Well I’ve gotten stronger since we last met and this will be an easy game.” Zack said


“We’ll see about that” Caitlyn responded coolly.


Suddenly the school bully that I knew as Zack became something entirely new. His body began to shift and morph in ways that I didn’t think any human could. His pale skin began to turn to a shade of purple that only people with hypothermia should be able to produce. The hands that I knew all too well from my previous altercations with Zack, also began to grow into the most atrocious looking things I had ever seen. Even his nails had become sharp and black as steel.


“Say hello to the Hufflekin!” Zack said in a voice that was no longer his own.


Then the gym exploded into chaos. Kids began screaming and running for the exits, even the fire doors that immediately set off the alarms. Coach Smith, who had been in his office reading his usual newspaper, had emerged only to turn right back around and locked the door. Even the nerds, who usually enjoyed seeing something interesting happen during a game of dodgeball, began to flee. I, on the other hand, was paralyzed with fear.


Caitlin rushed towards Zack. Within seconds she had run from one end of the gym to other and, with almost supernatural strength, head-butted the monster that had once been Zack. The whole gym shook at the force of the blow, but the beast stayed where it had been standing, sending Caitlin back to the other end of the gym, only to find herself now sprawled on the floor.


“I told you I got stronger!” Zack yelled


Zack turned to me and said with ghoulish sharp tooth grin, “Now it's your turn.”


He rushed at me so fast that he appeared as only a blur. Then almost as if I had done it before, I got into a ready stance and counted to three.


What am I doing! I thought to myself in a panic.


On three I punched up as hard as I could. It hit Zack square in the jaw. The beast shot up into the air so fast it was almost like he was a bullet. Then as fast as he had went up, he started to fall back down. I stepped slightly to the left as he hit the ground with so much force that the gym floor cracked underneath him. He let out a pained groan.


“I knew you had it in you,” said a voice behind me.


I turned to see Caitlin, a little dusty, but without a scratch on her.


“You could have done something other than get yourself knocked out” I said. I was surprised to see how calm I was after all that. 


Then, I decided that I needed answers. NOW.


“What the heck just happened here?” I asked. “How am I so strong? What was Zack? Why are you not scared of that thing? And why am I strong? Did I mention the strong part?


“All will be explained soon enough. Follow me.” Caitlin said.


“Where are we going?” I asked with a shaky breath.


“Somewhere safe.” 


“Does it involve more monsters?”


“Maybe.” Caitlin chuckled.


“Alright I’m in, but what about my family?” I asked.


“That's our first stop.” she said, “ Your mom needs to know you’re pretty much screwed!”



© 2020 chasemace518


Author's Note

chasemace518
please give feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on February 21, 2020
Last Updated on February 21, 2020


Author

chasemace518
chasemace518

jackson, MS



About
im a 15 year old boy in a small town who wants to be a reporter and writer. more..

Writing