Happiness

Happiness

A Story by Duke
"

Just a few thoughts on paper...so to speak.

"

Is happiness a choice or a state of mind brought on my some outside stimuli? It is said that folks choose to be happy or choose to be in a funk, but I have a tendency to believe that a choice is not going to necessarily make a magical state of mind become a reality. For me, happiness tends to be more of a spontaneous emotion rather than a determined act. I have to ask myself just what is happiness? Happiness is like a car. It comes in many different shapes, sizes, and colors. I can choose to be happy about someone else’s good fortune, but it is not the same happiness that I experience from a fat, juicy cheeseburger. I can be happy I don’t live in North Korea, but that doesn’t mean I am happy where I am at the moment. If you were to ask me if I was happy while I was in the middle of a busy dinner rush, in a kitchen where the air temperature was 90 degrees +, barking orders to cooks and managing temperamental wait staff after just having shortened my index finger by 1/8” while chopping onions, I’d be likely to answer “Yes.” If someone were to ask me the same question while I was seated, awaiting a fancy meal on a crowded cruise ship, my answer might not be the same. That being said, I could conclude that happiness is whatever trips your trigger. Now, if I could go through life and have control of where and when my triggers got tripped, then surly I would have happiness by the short hairs!

   Maybe in the long run it is better to allow happiness to remain the unexpected guest. The surprise of sudden happiness has a much sweeter aroma than does the happiness that comes from a recipe.

© 2012 Duke


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this essay very much. You express the different facets of happiness so well, I completely agree with what you wrote. I like thinking of happiness being the unexpected guest, a nice surprise rather than a goal to be achieved.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The best review I can honestly do tonight, will be this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEyoJKSPL_I&feature=colike

call me slightly strange, but i enjoyed this on a different level than the bulk of your more educated writers.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2012
Last Updated on May 3, 2012

Author

Duke
Duke

Arkadelphia, AR



About
Executive Chef for 25+ years. Dad to an 8 year old. more..

Writing
Chef Chef

A Story by Duke


Come Again? Come Again?

A Story by Duke


"Serve" "Serve"

A Story by Duke