"Serve"

"Serve"

A Story by Duke

Serve


A simple five letter word. Simple to spell,and simple to say but the implications are eternal and omnipotent. You can serve a meal. Serve a drink. Serve a summons. Serve a ball. Serve a compliment. Serve a warrant. Serve on a jury. Serve to understand or be understood. Serve the public. Serve as host. Serve time. Serve revenge (best cold). Serve lunch. Serve dinner. Serve poolside. Serve God. Serve yourself.

You can serve as an example, both good and bad. You can serve to inspire.You can serve your country. You can serve in the military. You can serve yourself up on a platter. You can serve to honor, support, uphold, uplift, or serve no purpose at all.

The point is we are born to serve.Who or what we choose to serve designs the tapestry of our lives. In the end, when we take a brief moment to reflect on our accomplishments, before we ascend toward the next plane of enlightenment,will we take comfort in the sight of a life that has served others well or simply a straw nest that we have woven for our own comfort?To live a life of service to others is to have lived a life worth living. The greatest reward will be to hear Him say, “You have served me well.”

Now, how might I serve you?

© 2012 Duke


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice! I love the depth you conjured from, as you said, such a simple word. It really made me think about myself and what I would like to look back on at the end. I still need time to think about what it is I serve and if those things should change at all. Very thought provoking essay, I enjoyed reading it. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
1 Review
Added on June 28, 2012
Last Updated on June 28, 2012

Author

Duke
Duke

Arkadelphia, AR



About
Executive Chef for 25+ years. Dad to an 8 year old. more..

Writing
Chef Chef

A Story by Duke


Come Again? Come Again?

A Story by Duke


Happiness Happiness

A Story by Duke