Broken Promise

Broken Promise

A Poem by Chelsea
"

My parents promise= broken.

"

Broken Promise

You cradled my infant self in your arms

Endeared by the miracle of birth; the birth of your daughter

But obviously I didn’t mean much

Your street life meant more

More than me! Your daughter!

More than being my parents

You were my knights in shining armour

You armour lost all shine; it’s crumpled in pieces

Your promise to be there,

Was broken,

But I never asked for this; you made the choice

You lost me and I lost you

Our lives no longer intertwine,

I can’t tell you my dreams

You’ll never know my sadness

You won’t be able to contribute any happiness to me

You can’t be in my life and I can’t be in your life

I don’t know you; you don’t know me

We are strangers; should have been a mighty team

Maybe one day our paths will cross,

But for now we live different lives

I’m growing up and becoming a young woman

Your just you, a failed specimen of a person.

 

 

 

 

© 2010 Chelsea


Author's Note

Chelsea
This is a 100% true. I lost my parents at four because of their choice of street life. Drugs, prostitution, etc….. But I wrote this to get all my feeling out. I know it was along time, but I still wonder why they did it. They chose street life OVER ME! Their own daughter, they gave me up. This has puzzled me for years. But I’ve decided that they loved me, but only as much as they could. Because of their screwed up lives and bad choices maybe they thought giving me up was the only way. But it still hurts knowing your parents did this. Partly because parents are supposed to care for you and be there for you. And yet they did this to me. But I think writing this out has been good healing. So please review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

If you ever read the book crank I think, it is like this, but from the s****y mothers point of view. It then moves on to glass and fallout, I think that you would enjoy these books, I did. And it is sad it is true, but maybe they did it because they knew that they were giving you a better life, that they didn't want you to have to grow up with them as parents.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There is a point in addiction where it completely takes over a personality and there is nothing left for them except their next fix. From my experience the people who get hurt most are the people closest to the addict. You see the origional personality is surpressed because the addiction has taken over.

I have seen people recover from this state and others consumed by it. I'm still not sure what it is that makes the difference, but some people seem to reach rock bottom before it is too late and others just sink into death. I doubt your parents 'chose' street life over you so much as the addiction forced them into street life.

I work with such people and have see many of them torn between their love for their children and their inability to change. It is never pleasent and it is always the children which receive the worst wounds. It is good that you can recognise they did love you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So sad and you're strong for what you had to go through with them. The poem was very sad, but in a good way, and yet kick-a*s!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm very sorrry for your loss- and great poem by the way- this is a very honest piece

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm so sorry for your loss, it's terrible that children have to suffer for their parents mistakes. Drugs are defiantly something that's hard to over come! You are such a strong person to be able to over come the bad and transform all of it into a poem! great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderfully written. A very emotional read. You're attitude about it is fantastic; you aren't full of hatred, but you realize the wrongs involved. I especially love

"Maybe one day our paths will cross,
But for now we live different lives"

It suggests what I've already said, that you have learned from their mistakes and moved forward, that you have the spirit and power to become something better out of this struggle. I am sorry for their decision, but thrilled with yours.

A great poem. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very emotional, very true, I really like your writing style. Good write, and I wish you the best :))

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very moving piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good cathartic piece. It's sad that this is from your real experience but it gives good perspective.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I could very much relate to this poem - the questioning, the feeling that there must be something wrong for them not to put you first. I was glad to read in your notes that you accept that they did the best they could with what they had. That's a hard place to arrive to, but a good place, nonetheless.

I feel the pain in your poetry - thank goodness you can express it, and your getting better and better all of the time. Hugs.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was so moved by your poem. I'm sure they loved you. Drug addiction is very strong. Making people do things they know better than to do. Addiction is a disease. This doesn't excuse their behavior or actions, but I'm sure deep down they love you and have lots of regrets. I'm so proud of you. I love your poetry too.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

938 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2010
Last Updated on November 26, 2010
Tags: broken promise

Author

Chelsea
Chelsea

Canada



About
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. - Carl Sandburg Hello! Thank you for checkin’ out my page on the café! My name is Chelsea or Chels. I’m fifteen years old, your .. more..

Writing
Gun in School Gun in School

A Story by Chelsea



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Baby Bird Baby Bird

A Poem by Chelsea


An Addiction An Addiction

A Poem by OT


Baby Baby

A Poem by Chelsea