Deja Vu

Deja Vu

A Story by eternal_serenity
"

An excerpt from the short story I am working on

"

27 Aug,2016 ( after midnight) - While restlessly tossing and turning in bed, I realized I was again hit by the acute insomnia that was going to last for the next 3-4 consecutive days. It was not easy to deal with. Hearing the screeching howling of street dogs, the enigmatic clicking of clock, the rustling of leaves ,and above all , that inadvertent splurge on the outrageous hurricane of random thoughts that rips you off reality and it either takes you back to the down in the mouth past , or swipes you off to the equally melancholic future. Amidst these bewilderingly vexing events that made me a lunatic, the idea of facing an interview next day was a shiver down the spine. Time outmatched the pace of my "little grey cells". Before I could rehearse my answers for the interview, and enact a little role-play to ensure that I should not stammer during that impromptu rapid-fire session that the interviewers usually play with bombarding questions that even Sherlock Holmes would never have fathomed, it was already 3:15 a.m. This is the time when your stomach craves for second dinner. Somehow, I suppressed my hunger, and in the spur of the moment," sleep" dawned on me.
.............................

28 Aug, 2016 (5:20 a.m.) - My mom does not need to switch off the fan, or hold the alarm clock close to my ears to wake me up. I am an obedient child. I hardly sleep. After 2 hours of disturbed nap, and wasting a little more time on questioning my existence, I got off the bed. "Going for a morning walk would be a great idea", I thought. And without allowing myself to indulge
in any further reverie , I brushed my teeth, put on my tracksuit and shoes, and left the house.

What a relief it is to succumb yourself before the nurturing arms of nature! The musk fragrance of dewy grass, the gentle touch of morning breeze made my blood gush through my veins. There was this unflinching urge to drop the shields that have safeguarded my womanhood so far, and to lay myself naked before nature. It felt as if somebody pinched me and said, " Madame, this is too Lawrencian" . "Ouch! Fine!", I said.
And after a brisk walk, I headed back to home.
.........

Same day (7:10 a.m.)- For me taking a shower means faking conversations, and crucial decision making for the next 30 minutes. I probably would have spent the rest of my life in the bathroom itself, if mom had not shouted in a voice brimming with anger- " I think you are prepared to pay the water bills from next time!". "coming, mom", I replied in a meek voice.

© 2017 eternal_serenity


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on April 2, 2017
Last Updated on April 2, 2017
Tags: insomnia, sleep, nature, coffee

Author

eternal_serenity
eternal_serenity

new Delhi , India



About
Unabashedly outspoken and a free soul more..

Writing