Strange Town

Strange Town

A Story by Angela Mulley
"

A vampire story.

"
I was around the corner from my new apartment. It was located in Keffer, a small town in Northwest England. There, two hundred miles from my previous residency, I'd been offered the post of student nurse. I recal being anxious about moving, but in a lot of ways I was excited! By that point I had realised, that if I wanted to pursue my career then I would need to move around.

My eyes squinted as I tried to judge the amount of distance from my bumper to the kerb. Having stopped the car and got out, I hastened towards the block of flats. To my right was a church, it's clock had just struck eleven, as people moved back and two with briefcases and bags, I realised that had I arrived a few moments before, my first impression might have differed somewhat. I scaled the flight of steps until my feet reached the door. As I opened it up, immediately, I was hit by the smell of paint, and when I glanced further, I saw the lounge. My eyes were drawn between the corners of the room, and in that moment I imagined space enough for my old chair, my widescreen tv, dinners... cocktail parties! I could certainly see myself being comfortable there for the next year or so.

The kitchen was fitted with all the bits I would need; a washing machine, fridge freezer and a cooker. As I looked out of the window, street lights lit the walk and I could see the entrance to the hospital. The bedroom was big, and although a single bed it would do; and next to it, on the top of some drawers, rested my badge. Small letters read out "Christine Rainworth."

For the rest of that day I watched tv. I also chatted on the phone with my sister, Agnes. She mentioned that Dad was upset at my sudden departure.  I felt a pang of guilt... I missed them already. It would be hard for Dad especially not to have me around, still, I could visit... during the holidays.

The following morning, I went to a store, but on my way back, I'd become lost. I took the side road. It was bumpy and difficult to see as light streamed through the windscreen, and to the right, I could see some houses. I stretched my arm out slightly, when suddenly I saw a sign across the street. I realised I was only a short distance from the flat, so instead of going home, I went to a bar.

Once inside, the building appeared odd, it was dark, and for some reason unbeknown to me the curtains were shut. I sat for about twenty minutes.  Eventually a woman, whom I supposed to be in her late twenties wondered over. She told me her name was Gill, and that she worked in a printer shop just over the way. We continued chatting, she seemed very nice: a bubbly, wild personality which had and air of shyness about it.

Her hair was blonde and reached her waist. She was small in size, perhaps a little plump. As we talked, it became obvious to me that she was a little older than I'd first imagined, perhaps around thirty two- thirty three. After a few minutes, she put her drink to one side. Her lips pursed, then she spoke...

'I suppose you've heard about the strange goings on here of a night'

I replied that I had, but never paid much attention to it. Her head retreated, she gave a worried look, then whispered...

'Look! I moved over here myself about six months ago. In that time I've noticed the locals acting really weird. - Apparently people have disappeared on their way through here!'

I looked around in fright that one of them would hear. I replied that I'd done a little research before I came, and that they're not sure what happened to those people, whether they passed through there or not.' I realised that like me, she was just another stranger in this town who was a little edgy about the rumours of a place to which she'd moved. So I took her number, and we arranged to meet for coffee next week.

The following day. I went on a tour of the hospital, the place was huge! I became disoriented as I tried to find the office where I would then pick up my guide. Firstly, we scaled a huge flight of steps, then into a lift to who knows where! After that I went down some more steps, and there, just around the corner, I saw the ward where I would be working. Although, I must admit, at first I felt quite nervous at the thought of all the new faces, but it eased after I met the rest of the staff.

The person who stood out most, was Dr Derrick Hammond. He didn't have much to say. When we were introduced, he shook my hand then lowered his brow in an upward glance. I was struck immediately by black eyes and a sallow complexion. He then asked what I thought of my visit. I told him that so far, I was happy with my tour, and I was looking forward to starting work in the next few days. Overall, I suppose I found him quite charming!

When I arrived home a few hours later, I noticed there were messages on the answering machine.  I expected it would be mother as she'd called at least seven times since my arrival. So, I was surprised to hear the voice of my new friend, Gill. She wanted to know if I could meet up for coffee in a few hours. I figured I would ring her later, I was tired and had to get my things ready for work.  Originally I wasn't supposed to start for another few days, but they called me just after I'd finished the tour and asked if I could come in early. I was happy to of course, but alas!- it was a night-shift.

When supper had finished, I put my uniform on. Night had come earlier than expected, I was nervous and glanced at the clock every few minutes.  Outside it was dark. I started to think over what Gill had said about the place. I have to say, it didn't make me feel any easier about going to work that night. My first job was to attend a colleague. He had to take some bloods from a Mr Gilligan, whom, according to my sheet, was a fourty-three year old male. He'd been brought in two days ago with mild heart attack. Only for observation mind you, but his blood pressure and stats had lowered over the last few days, and the lab had a hard time to come to a conclusion. Finally, I was sent into another ward to a Mrs Smith. She suffered with Alzhiemers, and needed help to get to the bathroom. Apart from that, my shift went by fairly quick. In fact, it didn't take long for the day team to arrive, I gave them the sheets and then went home.

That night, I lay in bed. Again I could hear the rain outside. Something I hadn't mentioned before is that, I wasn't the type of person who liked to be by themselves of a night. The embarrassing fact is, that I was afraid of the dark. I put it down mainly to my over imagination, and partly, because of my fascination with horror films as a child. Non the less, I was terrified! This time felt different, however. I'm not sure, I think it might have been the room, or whatever, but something told me that I wasn't alone that night. I'd just about dozed off when the telephone rang. ''Hello' I could hear this breathing 
but no answer ensued.

'Hello, who is this.'

'It's Gill, Christine. I was just calling for a chat.'

'It's five-thirty in the morning Jill,' I'm tired... what do you want?'

'I'm sorry for calling you at this hour, I know you've just finished work. It's just I can hear noises inside the house, and I'm by myself!'

'Okay, calm down,' I replied, 'it's probably just the wind.'

All of a sudden I heard a huge bang. I thought it had come from inside the room, I leapt out of bed.

'S**t, s**t!'

I juggled with the receiver. When I managed to grab a hold of my senses, I put the phone to my ear.

'What was that?' Gill asked.

'I don't know.'

'Why don't you come over here, I have a guest-room.

'What, at this hour? I replied. 'Are you frickin' mad!' And besides, there's no way I'm moving, it's still dark. Go to bed, I'll call you in the morning.'

With that she put down the phone. I climbed back into bed and tried not to think about the noises. I lay awake for about half an hour and wondered whether I would get to sleep at all.

The following morning, Gill arrived at the flat. It was a Saturday, and I hadn't been called into work that weekend. We did a lot of girly stuff. We went to a bar and got drunk, went shopping, then on Sunday we had a facial at Amanda's Health and Beauty Centre. It was great!- and Gill was just the kind of bad influence I needed to help me get over my home sickness. We'd decided on a cheese burger for lunch that day. I remembered about a bar at the other side of town; so after I'd ordered the meals, I went to park up.

I'd just bit into my burger when suddenly Gill nudged my arm. 'Look, over there' she said. She pointed towards the back of some buildings. I glanced over and saw around five of the locals with sacks as they loaded them into a van. They also wore sunglasses, which might not seem so odd; had we not been in England, mid-December. We looked at each other and laughed.

'Oh my God! those people are so weird,' Jill said.

I know, I replied. What the hell were they doing! they were like vampires or something!'

Again, we looked at each other and chuckled. Suddenly, I could see why there were so many rumours about the place. There was definitely something not right about those people. But, I suppose in a town where everybody is the same, to them, it was us who were the weirdo's.

That night we bought a bottle of wine. We had another, then another, and then another.- I can't remember a time when I'd been more legless. We stayed up and chatted, about silly things really. I told her all about my hometown, my Mother, my Father, my friend Lizzy and the things we used to get up to. 'I like her' I thought to myself, she's a little wild, but just the kind of friend I need right now.

I cleared the bottles off the table then took them into the kitchen. When I returned I found Gill asleep on the sofa, I tried to wake her but she wouldn't budge, so I went to get a blanket.

I'd arrived at the hospital to discover that our elderly patient, Josie, had passed away. I found it quite upsetting I suppose, but, while working in a hospital these things will happen. It said also on my sheet, that Mr Gilligan had had a seizure, they ran a ct scan, which later revealed bleeding on the brain. He's lucky they found it when they did, sometimes it can go undetected. His stats have improved since being out of theatre, so he should wake soon.

For the remainder of that week I was stuck on desk duty. Gill came to stay at the weekend, but I was called into work, so I didn't get home until late.

It was about two in the morning and most of the staff had gone home. Suddenly I heard a noise coming from the ward. I tiptoed through the corridor so as not to cause further disturbance. As I popped my head round, all seemed fine... until I reached Mr Gilligan. Dr Hammond was with him. I was just about to let go of the curtain until I noticed something.

A tube.

It ran from the arm of Mr Gilligan and into the mouth of the Doctor. I shreiked and let go of the curtain. I didn't know whether to scream, or to call somebody, but who? and what would I say?

When I arrived home later that morning, I didn't feel like my usual self. In the end Gill asked me what the matter was. I started to cry.

'Oh, it's nothing, really! I said as I wiped tears from my eyes. But she wouldn't leave it there and demanded to know why I was so upset. I thought about telling her what I'd saw in the hospital, but I felt silly. What if she didn't believe me? She might think I was crazy! after all, whoever heard of a doctor, a well respected doctor who drinks the blood of his patients? I battled with these thoughts for a while, but in the end it all came out...

"Gill, look. I have something to tell you, and I don't want you to talk okay... just listen."

When I'd finished, she sat in silence for a while. I wondered what she was thinking, but suddenly...

'So, you mean the doctor, these people, -all the strange behaviour? Oh my God!... Vampires?'

I had no idea what to say. It did seem like the only reasonable answer... if you could call it that. I don't know... Perhaps the nightshift had finally took it's toll. Although Jill was pretty accepting about the whole thing, it did make me wonder as I could barely believe it myself.

Meanwhile in the hospital, I went to check on Mr Gilligan. Something wasn't right... his stats were up one day, down the next, now he wasn't even responding to treatment. He moved his head to the side. I noticed something on his neck. It was a wound; there were two! This time, the Doctor must have become desperate.

At that moment, I realised that I had to help this man! These monsters were only keeping him alive so they could get his blood, bit by bit, slowly but surely draining the life out of him! Who would be his next victim?... one of the other nurses?...me?

I had to come up with a plan.

When I got home from work, I found Gill had been busy with the garlic, it was everywhere, on the walls, hanging from doors. I carved some stakes out the back, soon it would be dark... I wanted to be prepared.

I remember thinking that I once knew what it was to get a decent nights sleep, I was so tired!

We'd decided it was probably best if Gill moved in, just for a while until we could figure a way out of this place. At that moment, I started to think about my family who were at home. What were they doing? And Lizzy, I wondered what she would be up to now. Probably at work so I guessed.

That night, I didn't go into work as planned. Instead, I stayed up and carved stakes, and I made a hole on the inside of my bag so I could fit a camera in there. There was only one way in my mind that I could get people to believe this ridiculous story... and that was to show them the evidence.

Midnight arrived. Work called to see why I hadn't gone in, I told them I wasn't feeling myself. Luckily, they understood and I arranged to go back in the next day. Gill filled empty washing up liquid bottles with water and garlic, just as an extra precaution. We sat and watched tv, there was a film on... a horror film. I went into the bedroom to get a quilt and some pillows and we sat with cushions in hand just in case there was a scary bit.

All of a sudden, there was a knock on the door. My head turned to glance, I wondered who it could be. Gill passed me the squirty bottle with the garlic in it. I got the stake, attached it to the back of my belt, then slid off the setee. 'What if it was the Doctor? I thought. He may be desperate again, not wanting to be caught leaching from another patient. I opened the door and without a second glance, I squirted the liquid into his face.

'Oh my God, Dad!'

-'What on Earth?'

'Christine, what are you doing.'

I guessed it was best to remain silent, he wasn't very happy. He wiped his feet and went into the living room. I passed him a towel, he wiped his face and I asked him why he'd come over so late... I thought something was the matter.

'I had a call from your mobile earlier, I've been trying to ring you but your phone's unplugged. What's going on, and what's with all this mess.'

He looked around at the garlic, the empty wine bottles left on the table, I bowed my head with embarrasment.

'It's about time you pulled your socks up, Christine.' He said. 'You're thirtytwo now. This new job is supposed to mean a new start for you, and you're not even in work. Things had better change by the next time I visit... or else!'

And with that he left. The door slammed shut and Gill sat on the sofa in silence.

'That was close' she said. 'I thought it was the Doctor, sorry!'

'It's alright.'I told her, I would call Dad in the morning- he was just upset at having been squirted with garlic.

'Yeah' she replied.

It was 10.00pm and I was in work. My first job was to check on Mr Gilligan. He appeared much better... his stats were up, the colour beginning to show in his cheeks. I asked the other nurses if Dr Hammond had been in the ward. They replied that he had, but had mainly been with the new patients, as they had had a surge since last night from A and E. Well, that explained it! I thought to myself. I wondered what poor soul he'd gotten a hold of next, when suddenly I saw a movement in Mr Gilligan's cubicle. I went to see what it was, I took my bag with the camera in it... just in case.

That's odd! I thought to myself. He was asleep. I checked his pulse and had a listen to his chest. He seemed fine, I turned to the side, I'll just check his...

'Arrgh!' I screamed.

I turned around to see mr Gilligan sat on the edge of his bed. He smiled and I noticed his inscisors had grew, his face was pale, his eyes wide open.

'Hello' he said suddenly.

'Get away from me... you freak!' I told him. 'I swear, if you come anywhere near me... one inch, and I'll shove this steak right through your heart, have you got that!

As I passed he tried to grab hold of my neck. I held the stake above his chest, I was about to pummel it into him, when Dr Hammond came from behind and snatched it. Somehow, I managed to escape. I didn't bother getting in to my car I just ran home.

Gill was in the living room carving stakes. I rushed over to tell her what happened.

'Oh my God! Are they coming here?' she asked worriedly. -I don't know... but now as I've seen them, they might.

She carved the steaks faster and faster, I took the blade from her and she started to cry.

'Look, don't worry' I said. They won't beat us! one way or the other, we'll get out of this mess. When she calmed down I put my hand on her shoulder.

Suddenly, I heard a noise in the kitchen.

'It's them'. I whispered. 'Come on... into the bedroom... quick.'

Gill ran into the bedroom. I got the stakes and the garlic and rushed in after her.

I could hear them creeping about inside the house, I put the lock on the door and began shifting the furniture in front of it.

For the next few moments, all seemed quiet. Gill sat on the bed and looked around.

'Come and sit here' she said suddenly.

I placed myself next to her, then she said,

'You know', 'I'm not sure these steaks will do any good anyway', and she threw them onto the floor.

'What are you talking about... they're vampires, of course they will.'

'Yes, but we're not in the movies though, are we? she said. I looked up at her and she was smiling, then she opened her mouth and I could see huge fangs. I leapt off the bed and grabbed the garlic.

'I've already told you Christine, this isn't the movies, you might as well put it down.'

She came closer but the garlic was all I had, I squirted it, but she lashed it across the room. I felt her teeth into my neck and then fell to the floor.

'There you go,' she said. 'You're one of us now... they can't hurt you.'

I looked up at her.

The next thing I remember, is that I woke up on the beach. My clothes and shoes, wet from the oncoming tide.  I tried to think of how I came to be there.

The sand was cold, ridged, and felt hard against my feet. I clutched tight to my coat then slid across the dunes.

I was on my way home, for what it was worth. Part of me wanted to look at things from another angle. I didn't want to be a vampire, that was true; but I couldn't stop being who I was either. It was like my life had slipped into sub-existence. It wasn't what I had expected. I mean, what was I to do?  Somehow, it was all too much excitement, I wanted an easy life... a man, a house, maybe even a few kids.

The next day I went into work. It was a day shift. Again, I had to attend a colleague to take some bloods, but by the time I'd got to the third patient, I began to feel nauseous. At first it wasn't so bad until I discovered that I could barely see let alone work. I made my way to the car. Sweat rolled from my face, I opened the door, turned around, and landed onto the seat. As I looked into the rear veiw mirror, my eyes widened when I saw Gill in the back.

'What do you want?' I yelled. 'Why are you doing this?'

'I see you're not feeling well Christine... that's too bad.'

I felt a sharp pain across my abdomen.

'What did you do to me?' I yelled back at her.

'Chill out. you'll figure out what you are in good time... until then, you need to remember that 'you're one of us... you need to feed... or else you'll die.'

All I can recall from that moment, is that I awoke in bed. Somehow, I felt better, and the sickness had gone.

I went over to the library. I wanted to find out if they had any information on the disappeances. Eventually, I found some files on a old shelf. They dated back to 1929. I took one out then walked over to the window. Light shone through the glass and made my otherwise dark hair a lighter shade.

I opened up the file.

One article told in particular of the mythology behind the disappearances.

Apparently, a woman known as Isa Lane, who was later discovered to be a witch, had courted a gentleman, Marcus Brent for a few months. Isa later heard rumours that Marcus had engaged to marry another woman; whom, a short while later became the Mrs Brent. As if that wasn't enough to agitate Isa, she was called upon by Marcus' friend, who then notified her that the property she dwelt in had been bought out. This made Isa mad, and without thinking, she cast a spell upon the man.

There was a letter written by that man, Mr Whitford to Mr Brent among the articles.

One read. Dear Mr Brent. As I rode at your request to Hollow Fields, to pass the news about your friends' purchase of the property there, inevitably, I met upon it's present occupant Miss Lane. She went mad after I gave her the notice and began to mumble some things. My dear Mr Brent, I must inform you, that I have not been myself since. I am certain Miss Lane is a witch and has cast a spell upon me. Needless to say, I will not be keeping our appointment for business on Monday, as I have taken to bed for the next few days. I hope to be in touch soon, yours sincerely, Mr Whitford.

The next, was a letter from Mr Whitford's brother, it was adressed to his father. He wrote...

Dear father. As much as I dislike to be the bearer of bad news, I must inform you that my brother Stephen, your son, is gone mad. Last night, I witnessed him act out a most vicious attack on at least two cattle. He is now pale in his room, and says he is in pain. I do not advise that you visit, as his insanity may be infectious, however, I do not expect he will last the week.


There was great conflict between the lovers. It was thought that although Mr Brent had feelings for Isa, they were only in secret. When Isa was asked to revoke the spell, she declined so was later burned at the steak.

Unlike that of traditional vampire folklore, the creatures cannot be killed by a mere steak to the heart, or with garlic. In fact, the only way for them to return human again, is to break the spell.

The discovery of the file still left many questions unanswered. But if anything, it relieved a lot of tension, at last I was a step closer to learning what the 'new me' was all about. When I got back into the car, Gill appeared. 'We meet again' she said. 'You're not hungry this time... you must be getting good at this.'

I glanced back at her. 'Did you know... about the spell? she looked mincingly for a moment. Since becoming a vampire, I too had discovered the art of being able to disappear. So I decided to play her at her own game. 'Wait!' she called out. A smile moved across my face as I turned from her, then vanished. Moments later I realised I'd made the mistake of vanishing from my own car. When I returned, she was smiling.

'What file' she said suddenly.

I tossed it to her and she began to read.

'How did you get this?'

'It was easy. I went to the library, I was sure they must have had something on the history about this place.'

'It says here that our condition is due to a spell cast by a witch.'

'Yep.' I nodded.

'It also has a map that shows the location of the cottage, look!' She moved closer and pointed to it.

'That looks like the cottage I saw while I was on my way through here.' I replied.

'Can we meet at your place later?'

'Ah! You mean you won't just pop up and scare me out of my wits!'

'Look, I'm sorry alright! I was just joking with you anyway.'

When I arrived home I stood by the window. It was large, rather larger in width and offered a panoramic veiw of the outside. Below, cars stationed at the sidewalk overlooked by the hospital, and beyond lay the beach with a few distant gulls that circled a pink tinted sky.

Gill stood in the kitchen, I could hear as she swirled the spoon around the cups, one last time for good luck, and then dashed it onto the board like some kind of a musical rendition. She placed them onto the table. I could see the steam from the corner of my eyes, which, although now positioned from the sofa, were still fixed upon the window.

That weekend, we decided to take a trip to the cottage. We'd packed sandwiches, some flasks of tea, a few candles and sleeping sacks. It wasn't as rough as we'd first imagined it would be. It was dark and damp and cobwebs hung from the ceiling. There were still some pieces of furniture in there.  A huge fire place surrounded by mugs and an old fashioned settee. Upstairs was a four poster bed, it's blankets still intact, and although the wood was sturdy, it looked as though it hadn't been slept in since Isa left it in 1929. It was creepy I guess. And I felt silly, being a vampire and all, but I suppose I really wasn't very good at this.

The house was almost surrounded by wintry forest, I went outside to gather wood. It was kind of cosy, although cold. That old house hadn't seen so much as a duster in over eighty years! Nothing that a woman's touch couldn't fix mind you. A little clean here and there, some wood on the fire and hot soup, I reckoned we would do just fine.

It was theraputic in a way. It felt as though that cottage, and the ground that surrounded it, was the place where I could go to have my soul cleansed of the wickedness that had penetrated it when I first arrived. What was even more odd, it felt like I was at home. After I'd brought in the wood, I lit the fire. I found an old guard and covered it with a sheet of newspaper.

I wasn't sure how this was supposed to make any difference. When I saw the cottage in the photo, there was so much character about the place. It had stood well. Untouched for over eighty years, yet hardly a tile out of place... or that's how it seemed. When the fire had settled, Gill made soup.  One might not expect, that of all things a vampire would eat, soup would be one of them. I can tell you, that in fact, a nice bowl of oxtail soup even warded off the other hunger for a short time.

The night drew in quick. The bit of wood left on the fire offered but a thin blanket of warmth to the room, so we dressed into our night clothes. The sheets on the bed were damp and had obviously been eaten by moths. As we lay in silence for a few minutes, the candle-light flickered, occasionally I caught a glimpse of the walls which appeared to crumble into a mess along the floor.

It took a moment for my eyes to re-focus, then almost instantly the outline of Gill's face came into veiw.

'So, do you think we can do it? she asked. 'You know... break the spell.'

I raised my shoulders in a half attempt to answer her question. 'I don't know. But from what I can tell, we don't have a lot to lose, I mean, we're already dead!... How long had you been a vampire Jill, before we met? I mean honestly, you might as well tell me now it won't make a difference.'

'Promise?'

'I Promise.'

Her head nestled into my shoulder. Her body felt warm against mine. I listened as she reached for my hand and then pulled it towards her.

'I arrived here about seven years ago. Before then, I had lived in Ireland. I wasn't born there, but I'd lived there for a while. I discovered an add in the paper for the position of managing assistant at a media firm, the one I work at now. At first, I wasn't suspicious at all, and then I met with a gentleman... Derick Hammond.'

'You mean?'

'Yes. I mean the Dr who works at the hospital.'

'I don't believe it! you knew him all along!'

'I've met a few people since coming here. Not all of them vampires either. The people who live here, believe it or not... we don't always intend to kill.  But when we get people like you, who look like they may stay a while, then start to get suspicious... well! we had to do something!... so I said I would do it.'

'Thanks!'

'You don't need to thank me, ok! It was the least I could do. Besides, I already felt awful at having befriended you.'

'Did you hear that?' Gill asked. My ears pricked. I couldn't hear a thing. -'I heard something, I'm sure of it.' -'Well, whatever it was I think it's stopped now.'

When Gill had fallen asleep, the candle was still lit. Suddenly, I began to hear footsteps, it sounded like it was outside the room. I got up and tiptoed about. That's when I noticed a book laying on the shelf. I scooped it up and took it over to the bed.

It appeared to be a diary. As I opened it up, I noticed the name on the inside of the book. It had been written by none other than "Isa Beatrice Lane."

I started to read.

April 22nd. 1928.

It was a windy day. Summer was just about to turn it's head, I set out in the garden to collect some nettles for mama. The sun cast a golden glow over one half of the forest. I pulled my muslin close.

'Have you finished out there yet' I heard mamma call out.

Mama was a strong woman, of stern, thick countenance. Now in her late fifties, she'd raised all ten of us single handedly since Papa died nearly fifteen years ago.

I took the gatherings to the table where Mama sat, peeling potatoes. When she saw them her eyes gleamed.

'That's some good work you've done out there, child.' she said to me.

I spent most of my days with Mama out in the field. I learned all kinds of things. One day though, I heard a carriage stop outside. I raised myself from my knees to see who it could be, when I saw a gentleman approach.

'Marcus Brent, Miss Lane? how do you do.'

The long hat tipped from his brow. His hair was black and waived slightly. I could see the lavender reflected in his eyes, and when he looked back into mine, they dazzled.

'How do you do Mr Brent... Shall I go and fetch Mama?'

'No, there's no need... I was just passing.'

'Oh! I said. 'Well, it's a pleasure to meet you sir, but I suppose I'd better get on with this or else mama might shout.

'You're gathering nettles?'

'That's right sir, I am, mama likes them in soup.'

His head raised in a half comprehension of the idea. Although I couldn't see what the fuss was about, all my life, I'd been brought up on nettle soup.

'Do you mind if I help.' He said as he knelt down beside me.

I suppose I really didn't mind. Mr Brent was a very handsome man, although it was strange I must admit to see a gentleman over in these parts.

'Mr Brent' I said suddenly. 'I hope you don't mind my asking, but, if it wasn't mama who brought you here... then what was it?'

I turned and stared at him in apprehension of my answer. Then he replied...

'Like I said, I was just passing by in the carriage... but then I noticed a pretty face peeping out from above the nettles!

'Oh Mr Brent, I said. 'I'm so flattered.'

'Well you needn't be. Was his reply. 'You are beautifull, and if I was mama, then I should not let you alone out here so much.'

With that he smiled, raised himself to his feet, and bid me a good day.

The weeks went by and still I couldn't think about anyone else. As I remembered all the nice things he'd said, I realised that nobody had ever been so kind to me before.

The candle began to flicker once more. I closed the book and placed it underneath the bed. Soon it would be morning, I thought it best to try to get to sleep.

I wasn't sure whether finding the diary had brought us any closer to the end of our quest. But what I did know, was that the clues to breaking the spell must have lay some where within the grounds of the cottage.

When morning came, I remembered instantly about the book. I put my hand on Gill's shoulder in the hope that she would wake. But no sooner had I moved my hand, than I was met with a grusome discovery. Where I had expected to find Jill, a skeleton emerged steadily into veiw. I could see bits of dead flesh as it clung dustily to the bone.

I screamed.

At that moment Gill came running in.

'What's the big idea!' I called out.

'What are you talking about now? Jill asked.

'The skeleton?'

'I have no idea what you're talking about, I swear it!' Gill replied.

I removed the covers from the bed. Gill looked on, I watched as she raised her hand to her nose.

'That's awful.' She said.

'I know... but how did it get there?'

Gill shrugged her shoulders. We were both at a loss. I suppose the only answer was that someone else had snook in and put the skeleton there between the time it took for Gill to go outside and chop logs, and for me to wake. Either that, or Isa herself had done it.

When the excitement of our grusome find had eased somewhat, I showed the diary to Gill.

The prospects of a trip that once felt "therapeutic," a cottage that appeared to be a place we could call home... very quickly turned sour.

That morning, me and Jill decided to go into the forest to gather logs. It was cold and we hadn't bothered to dress, we just put our gowns over our nightclothes to keep out the cold.

'Read the book out to me Chris.' Gill said.

'What, here?'

'Yes, why not?'

I opened it up.

When I got back in to mama, I told her all about Mr Brent, and what a charmer he had been.

Mama was furious. At the time I couldn't understand why. But later on, I discovered that 'Marcus' father was the landlord of the property and Mama said that I'm not to see Marcus again without her being there. But mama became sick, and about two months later, while I was out in the field, I saw Marcus again.

I told him about Mama being ill. And he offered to help me to gather the nettles.

We didn't take them in straight away. Summer was upon us, I lay in my straw hat with marcus among the grass.

'Have you ever been to a party Isa.' His question came as quite a surprise, I must admit. I replied that I hadn't, and besides I didn't think mama would like it. '

'Really! Good heavens! why not?'

'I don't know. I suppose mama isn't very agreeable in that way. We've never had parties or anything like that. And Mama's been sick for a while now, so we don't normally travel far from the cottage.'

'Mmm, how strange.' Answered Marcus.

Suddenly I heard my brother Amos call out from the cottage.

'Isa. Quick... it's mama.'

Marcus' hat fell from his head and among the nettles. I stopped a moment to try to retrieve it, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Marcus grabbed hold of my hand, and we both rushed back. We went upstairs to the room where mama was, we found her lying there... she was lifeless.

It was the funeral a few days later. Amos, Emanuel, and Robert helped to carry mama's coffin, and Marcus showed up. The place was never the same since mama left it. Although, while she was alive, she was a strict woman, no-one ever dared to cross mama. Yet she was sweet and caring... always the life and soul.

'Shh.'

'What's the matter. I whispered.

'I thought I heard something over there in the bushes.'

I got up to investigate. Suddenly, Gills foot got caught in some thorns. I rushed over to help her when I stumbled across something. It was a long, flattened mind you, black hat. This hat must have belonged to Mr Brent. I whispered to Gill.

Suddenly, I realised that we were surrounded by nettles, and over in the corner I saw the figure of a woman knelt down.

'Isa!' I whispered.

Come on! Gill cried and pulled me by my arm towards the cottage. When we got in, we bolted the door and Gill stood behind it.

'You'll have to go on reading the book Chris, the answer must be in there.'

'Did you get the hat?'

'No, I forgot it. Look, it doesn't matter, just carry on with the book.

I never did find Marcus' hat. he stopped by a week after the funeral to see how we all were.

My brothers left the cottage and married. I suppose it got quite lonely. But then I started to grow herbs out in the field and on a thursday I would take them to market.

Marcus spent a lot of time in the cottage. Mainly he would read the books off of mama's shelf. Although mama never liked parties and Marcus could never fully understand why, he admired her knowledge of books, and grew quite fond of her collection.

That day, at four o'clock, my brothers, Amos and Robert arrived. I thought it would make a nice surprise for Marcus as he always went on about how we never had parties. So I invited a few other people from the village too. We had a lovely meal and Marcus was impressed. We played music, our Amos played the piano, Louise from down the way there sang so beautifully. And then we drank wine and danced all night.

The next day, Marcus called by the cottage to see if I wanted to go to dinner with him and his father. I felt awful at having to turn them both down, but I felt sick.

Marcus was upset; he took the news much worse than I expected he would do.

Over the next few days my sickness got worse. I sent our Amos to Marcus' to ask him to come over and see me. Amos came back and said that Markus was out but he left the message with his father.

Marcus didn't show up until about a week later, and I still felt sick. When he saw me he called for the doctor straight away. He held my hand and told me how much he cared for me, but when the doctor came, he left. The doctor said that I had caught a cold and I needed to rest.

When I was over my cold, I got dressed and went to the Brents' house to visit. That's when I discovered that Marcus had met another woman and they were about to marry. I never got a chance to be on my own with him after that, to ask him why, although, I really would have liked an answer.

'I'm almost froze, we'd better take these logs to the fire.'

The cottage began to feel really creepy. I darn't leave even the room without Gill there, although she was a 'tough' vampire, she didn't seem to mind.

I guess the diary explained why Isa was so mad. But still it didn't seem to point to many clues as to how we were supposed to break the spell.

I decided to leave the book until the next morning. It had begun to get dark and having already seen Isa once, I was totally freaked out. After supper, I took the remaining bottles of wine and me and Gill sat up and chatted.

'Did you have a boyfriend before you came over here Chrissy?'

'I had a few.' I replied. 'Although not all at once.' Gill looked over and gave a grin. 'I had to kind of make a desicion, between whether to have a family, or to carry on being a nurse. In the end, as you can see, I chose the latter. But I havn't resigned myself to celibacy just yet. Some day soon, I hope... when this vampire spell has been broken, if that is even a possibility, well, the first thing I plan to do is get the hell out of here!

'I'll drink to that woman! She said a guzzled the rest of the wine.'

'So, what is your type of man then?'

I laughed, and then replied... 'Ha! Type! I wasn't aware I had a type. Although, I suppose the last two guys I dated had something in common.

'Yeah?'

'Yeah. Well neither of them liked football for a start. I can't stand guys who like football.'

'No, me neither.' agreed Gill.

'So, what about you, what do you plan to do when we get out of here?' I asked.

'I don't know. To be honest, I think a guy would be too scared to even look at me, let alone go on a date.'

'I don't know how you can say that about yourself... Gill! open your eyes! you're gorgeous, and you're smart.'

'I know Chrissy... it's just... ever since this 'thing' happened, seven years ago, I kind of just resigned myself to that, you know. Besides, there are a lot of good things about being a vampire!'

'Oh yeah?... name one.'

Well you never have to die for a start.

Our conversation was suddenly interrupted by a loud screech. I jumped up.

'You see what I mean, I don't get it with you, we're already dead, there's no point in jumping up and being scared.'

'Rawr' Gill tickled the side of my hips, I let out a scream. 'You see. I'm a ghost, watchya gonna do, I'm a ghost... see?' She put her fingers to her ears and started to stick her tongue out.

'You're pissed. I said. 'I'm off to bed.'

'Wait! cried Gill, you havn't read the rest of the book yet!

'Well, there's no way I'm reading it now', I replied. Anyway, like you said, we're already dead so I think it can wait until tomorrow.'

The next day. I sat by the fire, it was 11.00am. Suddenly, the memories of the conversation me and Gill had the night before came flooding back.

I began to wonder what I would do if I were to succeed in breaking the spell. Gill had a point. Things could hardly ever be the same. I mean, would I really ever be able to love a human? it seemed unlikely.  Maybe there would come a time when I would forget about all that has passed. Although, I felt that that was even more unlikely.

After dinner, I decided it was time to go through the rest of the book. Again, we sat by the fire as I opened it up then resumed...

When Marcus' friend came to tell me that someone had bought the cottage... I was so annoyed. Accidentally I cast a spell over him. It was a bad one, I just know it and now he's been ill for days. No doubt I will get into trouble over this but I just wanted to see Marcus one last time so as I could give him back his hat.

I feel so sad. But worse, I feel like a monster! Mama always warned me to be careful about getting too angry. Apparently, there are witches in our family that go back for generations. All good witches mind you! But, if they got angry, well!

'Wait a minute' Gill said suddenly. So, all that Isa wanted to do was to give Mr Brent his hat back?

She glanced up at me. 'That's it!' she said.

'What's it? I asked her.

'Why the hat of course! We need to get the hat and then go and find the place where Marcus Brent was buried.'

Fog filled the air.  Concealed by trees, away from streets and roads that would soon turn aghast, the duty of day was almost up.  Below, the grass blew in the breeze where we sat  -silent.  Gill nudged close.

'What do you think will happen once we break the spell?  It could destroy us... perhaps we'd better think about it.'

For all I knew, it might.  But I didn't care.

'Oh! anything is better than this Gill, is it not?  I am sick... and tired of killing things just so I can go about my day, and besides, I've eaten enough oxtail soup to last a lifetime. I don't think it will kill us, but there's only one way to find out, and right now, we have to do the right thing.'   

'That's it then.  Come on, it's almost dark.'

'Where are we going?'   

'There's only one-other graveyard I know of, and that's at the back of the hospital.'

'Now?  Are you sure?'

'Look! just hurry up before I change my mind okay!'

As we neared, I got a bad feeling in my stomach.  'I'm not sure we should Gill.  I think I've changed my mind.'

She grabbed a hold of my wrist and my face met with hers.  'You started this... I won't let you back out now, okay!...  I won't.'  Her last two syllables were emphasised by a whisper, then she pointed towards a fence.  'There it is' she cried.  'Over there.  The only dis-used burial ground in Keffer.'

The fence didn't appear particularly old, in fact, there was nothing particular about it. The light coloured, waist high structure waddled against the breeze.   

'I used to come by here to eat my lunch when I first arrived'  Gill said.  'It was quiet and...'

Suddenly the hat got caught on a nail, I stretched to retrieve it when I felt something on my arm.  I glanced up and saw Dr Hammond.

'So... you finally learned the ropes... I'm impressed.  Now, what are you two girls doing out here?

I was about to make something up when my voice was muffled by the sound of Gill's.  '

'We were hungry, alright!'  

'Really?  you should have said, I've just had dinner.'  

'Look, just leave us alone!  and let go of her arm... don't you go frightening her like that again do you hear!'   

A grimace moved across his face as he released his grip, then in an instant the back of his hand thrashed across her face.

'Looking for food?  out here?  You two are up to something.'  

'We're up to no such thing, what are you talking about... you're mad!

As I stood behind Gill I noticed she waved her hand, and while searching for mine she shoved the hat into it.

'Run... Run! she shouted.

Dr Hammond tried to grab hold of the hat and a struggle ensued between them both. When I glanced back I saw the doctor as he bashed Gill's head against the floor.    

'I can't just leave her' I thought to myself.

My heels sank into the mud as I pulled a pole from the fence and out from the ground.  I crept silently behind him.  My shoe scraped across some glass, Dr Hammond heard my step and turned round.

Without a second thought, I shoved the sharp end of the pole into his chest, a look moved across his face as he tried to pull it out, and then he fell to the floor.

Gill raised her head and looked at me.

Have you done it yet? she asked.   

'No, not yet.'

'Well, what are you waiting for?  go... now! before he gets back up!  

The tears streamed from my face as I hastened through thorns and over shrubs to get to the ground.

When I saw the graves, my head turned quickly from side to side as I wondered which of them could be Marcus'.  But it was of no use, I wasn't going to find it like that, I had to get a closer look. 

Surely enough, there it was.

'Here you go Marcus' I cried out.  'Here's your hat!' 

I expected... I don't know, maybe a bolt of lightening or something.  But there was nothing...  Nothing at all.  I thought it hadn't worked.  I wasn't sure whether to be disappointed or relieved.  

When I got back I saw that Gill was still lay on the ground.  I called to her but she didn't answer.  The blood trickled from her mouth, and as I knelt at her side I could see that she wasn't breathing.  

As I cradled her head in my arms, I looked up to the sky and let out a screech.  

I can't begin to describe the pain I felt at that point, having lost her.  It was the moment we'd waited for so long, and she should have been there to share it.  But it wasn't meant to be.    

Not long after I moved out of Keffer, and eventually, I got another nursing job in my home town.  The house I had left, luckily for me was still vacant, and mum and dad were thrilled to have me back.  

I never told anybody about what happened though, not even Lizzy.  Not that she would believe it.  It's thirty years on, and I still think about it every day.  Of all the things I saw back then, the monster I had become, those memories will stick with me for forever.   

I stop by the town occasionally to see how it has changed.  Even though the people are still weird, they are a lot happier now.  I have no doubt that some of them remember what they were, but it doesn't prevent me from feeling alone on this planet.  I think I found a soulmate in Gill, even though, and when she left a big part of me left with her. 

Sometimes, I go to the spot were she died.  Sometimes I think I can hear her calling out to me.  Maybe it is her.  Maybe it's just my imagination.  I guess I'll never know.

Or perhaps someday I might!    

© 2010 Angela Mulley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed this story. You've got a good sense for dialogue and place. I think, however, some of favorite parts of the story were the descriptions of the people:

"Her hair was blonde and reached her waist. She was small in size, perhaps a little plump. As we talked, it became obvious to me that she was a little older than I'd first imagined, perhaps around thirty two- thirty three.

"The person who stood out most, was Dr Derrick Hammond. He didn't have much to say. When we were introduced, he shook my hand then lowered his brow in an upward glance. I was struck immediately by black eyes and a sallow complexion.

"Finally, I was sent into another ward to a Mrs Smith. She suffered with Alzhiemers, and needed help to get to the bathroom."

The descriptions are spare, but tell much about the characters in the story. I can see them clearly, and yet you've left enough up to my own imagination that I feel a part of the story. I like that a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I enjoyed this story. You've got a good sense for dialogue and place. I think, however, some of favorite parts of the story were the descriptions of the people:

"Her hair was blonde and reached her waist. She was small in size, perhaps a little plump. As we talked, it became obvious to me that she was a little older than I'd first imagined, perhaps around thirty two- thirty three.

"The person who stood out most, was Dr Derrick Hammond. He didn't have much to say. When we were introduced, he shook my hand then lowered his brow in an upward glance. I was struck immediately by black eyes and a sallow complexion.

"Finally, I was sent into another ward to a Mrs Smith. She suffered with Alzhiemers, and needed help to get to the bathroom."

The descriptions are spare, but tell much about the characters in the story. I can see them clearly, and yet you've left enough up to my own imagination that I feel a part of the story. I like that a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

To do what you've done here and create a story with the power of your imagination is a monumental feat, and something that few are capable of. We all know that vampires are "in" right now and that stories on that subject abound, so your challenge was to write something expressly your own, and I think you've done a fine job of it. That is not to say that I think your story is perfect and couldn't benefit from some editing---it could, but I'm confident you possess the skills to do that.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on December 23, 2010
Tags: vampire fiction strange town

Author

Angela Mulley
Angela Mulley

RUNCORN, North West, United Kingdom



About
Infinity, regardless of what the human mind might think, exists not merely without time, but without the individual concept of time too. And while this concept would not exist without an individual mi.. more..

Writing
Echo Echo

A Poem by Angela Mulley