To Sleep, or Not to Sleep.

To Sleep, or Not to Sleep.

A Chapter by Mr. Secrecy
"

The Beginning.

"
I lie wide awake again in the darkness of my room, staring at the ceiling, the bed sheets perfectly pulled up to my stomach, the same way they'd been 5 hours ago. Looking over at my alarm clock, I see it reads 3:46 pm.
'Six more hours.' I think to myself dreadfully as I turn back to look at the ceiling again. The room is silent and dark, the only sound is from dark streets of New York outside, always lively and humming with activity; a resilient drip from a leaky faucet that refuses to cease. At least I could pretend I was asleep for 5 hours, closing my eyes and laying my head on the pillow, hoping that it would magically come this time, despite the fact that it hasn't come for the past three weeks.  With a deep agitated sigh, I roll over on my stomach and bury my face into my pillow and shout
"Why?! for f**k's sake why!"
Suddenly I hear footsteps at my bedroom door. I jerk my head up, and immediately turn over and look towards the door. The door opens with a slow and ominous creak, and in the darkness I can make out the silhouette of, not a man, but something else. I slowly sit up in bed, squinting at the thing standing in the doorway. I make out four legs and a round body. 

"A really fat dog maybe? But how did a dog get in here." 

I whisper to myself, thinking aloud as the creature now seems to move slowly towards me. My eyes widen and my heart begins to race. I slowly move my right hand towards the lamp on my nightstand, then I notice it.  The 'footsteps' I once thought were human, sound more like....hooves? The creature's hooves echo on the hardwood, and it makes it way to the other side of the bed. Between utter confusion and fear, I shift back slowly, away from the opposite side of the bed, my lower back propped on the nightstand, my hand still clutching the lamp tightly. The creature props itself, hooves first onto the bed, its back legs keeping it up. It slowly moves it's upper body towards me, the springs of the bed slowly creaking with the movement, my heart is beating out of my chest and just as I'm about to bring the lamp up to hit it, it stops moving mere inches from my face, I feel it's breath as it breathes. The creature lets out a small bleat.  

"Baaaaaah".

Suddenly, my heart begins to slow down to a normal rate. I take a few deep breaths before putting the lamp back down on the nightstand. Now my confusion begins to set in even heavier now and I begin to think clearly again.

"A....sheep?" 

I say aloud, my face frowns in confusion. The only words I can think of that keep ringing in my mind are

"What the f**k?"


© 2015 Mr. Secrecy


Author's Note

Mr. Secrecy
I probably have LOADS of errors, so if you could point them out for me, that would be great! Also, other constructive comments are welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha I like this! I like the line that says "at least I could pretend I was asleep for 5 hours" and I like "Baaaaaah" haha good job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mr. Secrecy

8 Years Ago

Why thank you! I know it's different from my usual poetry, but I've been feeling compelled to write .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
1 Review
Added on June 16, 2015
Last Updated on June 16, 2015
Tags: sleep deprivation, comedy, melancholy, book


Author

Mr. Secrecy
Mr. Secrecy

Mount Laurel , NJ



About
I like to think of random things....at random...so yeah. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Poem by Mr. Secrecy