8 Reasons Why Toby Maguire’s Spiderman is Better Than Tom Holland’s Spiderman

8 Reasons Why Toby Maguire’s Spiderman is Better Than Tom Holland’s Spiderman

A Story by Cinematic N0stalgia

 

1.   TM’s Spiderman doesn’t rely on his suit. 

 

In the first Spiderman movie out of the trilogy of Spiderman movies with Toby Maguire starring as Peter Parker a.k.a. Spiderman, he is seen for the majority of the film, either without a suit, in a Spiderman onesie or with his suit literally beaten off his body. Yet, regardless, he can still use his web shooters and still climb up walls with his sticky fingers. Plus, all the rest of his powers. 

 

2.     TM’s Spiderman is fearless. 

 

In the second movie, Peter Parker is facing some kind of insecurity with his powers and as a result temporarily loses them. We see him countless times, with diminished powers, throwing himself off building attempting to use his web shooters. He falls from tall skyscrapers and even lands on the pavement a few times, yet he is never scared. In TH’s Spiderman movie, Homecoming, we see Peter Parker looking to be afraid of heights as he climbs the Washington Monument. 

 

3.     TM’s Spiderman isn’t an Ironman Wannabe. 

 

Tom Holland’s version of Spiderman is extremely tech-savvy. His suits are easily paralleled to that of Ironman’s (Tony Stark is the one that makes it). It has a voice operated command, named Karen, and is amplifying Peter Parker’s abilities. Ones that Spiderman doesn’t even have… I am pretty sure that is cheating. Toby Maguire’s Spiderman, on the other hand, completely designs and creates his suit. Which doesn’t amplify his ability (as he has all the ability his needs within himself), only conceals his identity. 

 

4.     TM’s Spiderman is far more intelligent than TH’s. 

 

In Toby Maguire’s Spiderman Trilogy, we see a more intelligent side of Peter Parker than what Tom Holland portrays. He not only goes to college (making him much older than Tom Holland’s Spiderman) but a lot of the discourse in the second movie revolves the attempt to make renewable energy through the construction of a fusion reactor that is fuelled by tritium fuel. Like who-the-what-now? This compared to Tom Holland’s assumed potential (as he never does) to participate in the academic decathlon team for his high school, it seems a bit silly. 

 

5.     TM’s Spiderman sticks to the right personality. 

 

Now we all know Spiderman �" the ridiculously smart, awkward, shy boy from Queens. Well, I am not sure Tom Holland’s Spiderman lives up to that. He is awkward at times, but overall, I believe him to have too much self-confidence to be a true rendition of Spiderman. For one, he can talk to girls. What! In regard to Toby Maguire’s Spiderman, he develops confidence as the movies go on however, he remains true to the character of Spiderman. Except for when he is possessed by the Venom symbiote in the third movie then he is just a downright cocky b*****d. But we got to love the finger guns. But that is what is perfect about Spiderman, that he is just as flawed as us and continues to evolve and grow as a character. 

 

6.     TH’s Aunt May is young and where is Uncle Ben?

 

I am sorry but this was one of the worse things that the new Spiderman movies could do. Not only make Aunt May into this extremely hot, young Aunt but also not even include Uncle Ben or any mention of an Uncle Ben in the movies. The death of Uncle Ben in the first Spiderman is what establishes Peter Parker and sets up a motivation for him to be Spiderman. It is a crucial turning point �" although it makes me sad to watch �" that brings forth the ‘do-good’ Spiderman persona. Say it with me: “With great power comes great responsibility”. 

 

7.     TM’s Spiderman is just one tough cookie.

 

In Spiderman Homecoming, we as the audience as positioned to see Tom Holland’s Spiderman lifting a boulder off himself as something heroic. Whereas, when we see Toby Maguire’s Spiderman in the Spiderman 3 with the living daylights being beaten out of him by Sandman, we just think it’s another day for Spiderman… We see Spiderman withstand a lot of beatings in the Toby Maguire Spiderman Trilogy but that one really does take the cake. 

 

8.     TM’s Spiderman is far more complex

 

We see a lot of sides to Toby Maguire’s Spiderman. After all, he is trying to juggle college, borderline poverty, dating Mary Jane, looking after his Aunt May, grieving his Uncle Ben’s death, the conflict with Harry, and being Spiderman. With all that in mind, he paints a conflicted Spiderman perfectly. We even see an entirely new dark side to him when he is possessed by the Venom symbiote. Cue �" THE FINGER GUNS! Tom Holland’s Spiderman, however, seems a bit sheltered with his caretaker Happy following him checking in with his every move. We don’t see a big emotional range from him, and there doesn’t seem to be a lot troubling him, except Tony Stark not telling him he is proud of him. 

© 2021 Cinematic N0stalgia


Author's Note

Cinematic N0stalgia
Disclaimer: I have not read the comics.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on September 15, 2021
Last Updated on September 15, 2021
Tags: Tom Holland, Toby Maguire, Spiderman, Reasons, Better Spiderman

Author

Cinematic N0stalgia
Cinematic N0stalgia

Australia



About
I provide an authentic, deep dive perspective into the world of pop-culture, film, and literature in my non-fiction writing. My personalised writing style tied with my meticulous research and investig.. more..

Writing