Aunt Ruby

Aunt Ruby

A Story by Jimmie Martinez
"

A little bit autobiographical, and a little bit paranormal.

"
"If you want to see your Aunt Ruby again, you should go in when we get back to the hospital." My mother said.
 We had taken a break from the hospital to go eat dinner. 
I couldn't see my Aunt Ruby like this. Didn't they understand? They endlessly asked me, and I overheard the adults whispering, that Ruby seemed to be holding on, long enough to see Cissie. But, I couldn't make myself go in there. I had been sick. I had Chicken Pox. I couldn't watch tv, or go out for a few days, but then I got better. Aunt Ruby would get better too. I wanted to see her when she was well again, not weak, sick and sad. That's how the adults described her in hushed whispers to one another. 
It made no difference what I said about seeing her now. By the time we returned to our vigil at the hospital, Aunt Ruby was dead. She had passed while we were gone. I heard them talking about her asking for me, and I cried. I cried so hard my little body shook. I thought I'd never stop crying again, and wondered if a person could die from crying too long. If that was possible, I was sure I would. Then, at least, maybe I'd be with Aunt Ruby again. 
I finally did stop crying, with some holding and consoling from my Mother, Daddy, and Aunt Ruby's husband, Uncle Sealy. But, my heart was still broken. So, maybe I'd die from a silent but deadly heartache. My heart hurt so badly, I thought I might. 
We buried Aunt Ruby in a dusty rose colored dress. She looked so peaceful, and not sick. It would have been easy to believe she was just sleeping, except when I pressed a buttercup into her hand. it was cold and hard. Not soft and warm anymore. Buttercups were our flowers. Aunt Ruby and I would pick them, and rub the yellow pollen on our noses. We'd laugh at one another's yellow noses. Whatever made me happy, had made her happy. 
 I went with her everywhere I could. She and Uncle Sealy would take me to get mail from the Post Office, to visit her relatives in Cottonwood, and his on Sycamore Street They worked at a night club on weekends, run by his brother-in-law. They sold Cokes Seven-up  and glasses of ice, from a big Coca-Cola ice box cooler to the customers. I had no idea the patrons were mixing the soft drinks with liquor at their tables. I just knew it was a fun place and  everyone was always happy. Many people,  including Uncle Sealy and Aunt Ruby, whirled and spun on the waxed, wooden dance floor. It was such a exciting  time, and I was always the center of attention. Aunt Ruby took me shopping, to the beauty salon, and the manicurist with her.  My little fingernails were always brightly manicured, and my long blonde hair beautifully curled. They bought me clothes, toys, almost anything I wanted. Aunt Ruby pushed me for miles on my pink bicycle.  I was certain I'd fall, if she ever let go.  It was a wonderful life. A life that was shattered when she died. 
After the funeral, I was still alive, so  dying of a broken heart wasn't possible either. Daddy and Uncle Sealy offered to hold me up and help me ride my bicycle, but that was Aunt Ruby's job. I would have nothing to do with that bicycle after she died. 
I spent most of my time, outside with my dog, Polly. Polly understood. She was such a wise dog. She would let me rub Buttercups on her nose, and it made me smile a little. 
I had always been fearful of sleeping alone. But, after Aunt Ruby died, I was no longer afraid. The worst thing possible had happened to me, so what could I  have to fear now  So, I slept the pure sleep of childhood, and had dreams of the happy times before Aunt Ruby had left me. 
One night, I was sleeping peacefully, when I felt a presence beside my bed. I opened my eyes, and there was Aunt Ruby! She was even more beautiful than she had been in life. I rubbed my eyes, in disbelief, but when I opened them again, she was still there. She was dressed as she had been at her funeral, and she had on no shoes. Her pretty pedicured feet, seemed to hold her just inches off the ground.  She told me to come with her, and took my little hand in hers. Her hand was warm and soft, just as it had been when she was alive. Her skin was soft and like porcelain with a rosy glow.  Suddenly, we were outside in the starry summer night, but I don't remember walking through the house. Once we were outside, she got my bicycle from beside the porch and pushed it over to the sidewalk. I got on it and she held the handlebars, with my hands under hers, and she held me up while  we rode  up and down the long sidewalk for hours. We talked about a lot of things, but the only thing that made an impact on me, was when she said, she couldn't stay with me. She looked up into the starry night, and said, "I have to go back."  Suddenly, my soul was crushed again.
 I started crying, and she wiped my cheek and said "Don't cry, I can't stay here, but I'll always be with you."  I didn't understand, but by now, the sun was peeking over the horizon in the east, and we had to put my bicycle away. There was a patch of Buttercups, just beginning to bloom by our front door. We each picked one, rubbed the yellow on our noses, and laughed. 
Then, she led me back to my bed. She tucked me back in, kissed me with her warm lips, and as suddenly as she had appeared, she was gone. But, I went back to sleep, the happiest I'd been since she had gotten sick. 
When I got up that morning. I did not say word to my parents about Aunt Ruby's visit. I knew they wouldn't understand. I had a quick breakfast, of Mother's  Malt-o-Meal, and went outside. There was my bicycle, where Aunt Ruby and I had left it. With a Buttercup, in the basket. I got on it and rode down the sidewalk with no help. I knew Aunt Ruby was holding me up, and she would always hold me up.  

© 2020 Jimmie Martinez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very enjoyable story. Although it was sad in places. Nonetheless it was easy to understand.

Posted 4 Years Ago


A very heart waring story, a child's story. The touches you gave it aloud the reader to see, and feel.
Welcome to the café I hope you enjoy your visits here.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

405 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 24, 2019
Last Updated on February 4, 2020


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sorry Ladies! Sorry Ladies!

A Poem by AJNJ