Gory Bits of Reality

Gory Bits of Reality

A Story by pristine
"

a short romantic story... :D

"

“I won’t make it, I’m sorry. Still at office and I can’t sneak out for a moment. Could be later?” Again, there it is again. I have read the message for like what… the nth time? 

I feel left out each time he did. I gripped my phone for as tight as I could ever hold and as long as I stood out in that very same spot for like an hour or two not waiting anymore but more likely pitying and cursing myself, belittling of what has left of my little-to-begin-with self-belief.

I was having a vacation. After we graduated, held our degree, passed the licensure exam, he moved away… got accepted to a prestigious company from a distant city away from home.

Here I was, hoping to see what has become of the man I loved too much that it scared me.

He seemed fine. Too fine even, I fear.

I found myself getting him to look at me but with the eyes of a stranger. I’d catch his gaze only to find looks that were different from before and smile that were not for me anymore.

We’ve found and settled our lives, content with what’s new we had found in a journey we started out apart.

There and then, I knew… 

I walked back in his home with my feet feeling too heavy to go anywhere; eyes too red and blurry to clearly see and enjoy the city at night; a mind too tired to understand.

I walked past the door, gone straight to his room and sat in his table. I gazed the whole of his room that smelled his scent and warmth I have missed for a long time.

The silence broke out when my phone rang. I looked into the screen with his name on it. I answered with a slightly shaky voice trying my very best not to sound silly.

“Hello?” I responded.

“Sorry I didn’t make it. I can’t go home tonight because of some presentation I still need to---“ 

“Yeah. I know.” I cut him off midway. I continued, “Listen, baby you know I love you, right? Since you’ve been away, things have drastically changed given that we don’t see and talk and spend time together often as we used to. Please do me a favor. What you have here, keep it and make it last.

I ended the call, made up my mind, looked at his desk calendar and fixed my eyes on today’s date, 19th.

. . . . .

After the call that night, I knew it wasn’t only the call that ended. I came home the next morning and found the whole place consumed in silence. She had left.

Her things were gone, she’s gone. I loved her and that long time I wasn’t with her may have severed those feelings. 

Being a man alone, I’ve gone out with other girls and I may have looked for her in someone else’s but failed. I’ve met one I had gone out for the longest while I was here and I can’t even fathom why it’s still different, she’s different, her love is different, hers and hers alone.

Several weeks later filled of thinking through and drowning in work alone, I got a project to work on and needed to be on plane heading to farther region in North.

Feeling nostalgic at the center of a busy airport waiting to be aboard on plane in a couple of hours, I suddenly remembered someone once asked me what’s  the one place on earth was far more sadder and painful than anywhere else. The place where all the saddest goodbyes from parting loved ones took place.

A scene came flashing back through me that pierced me even more was the memory of a girl who won’t stop crying no matter how many times I’d tell her I’d surely be back, but I never did when I found myself enjoying what I have here. I think that was the last time I ever really saw her with the love I used to have for her undivided. She wouldn’t let go of my hand and even told me if what could possibly change my mind to stay. 

I remembered the memory of her who had dreamt with me of travelling to random places; the memory of that odd shirt she gave me which had the same print as hers but promised she’d never push me to wear it with her; the memory of staying up late together to finish the game we’re so hooked up before moving on to the next game to try; the memory of a pair of cross-shaped earrings I had trouble in choosing; the memory of the silly stories she hads written for me whenever she feels like it; the memory of bets not once had she won; the memory of the girl who would easily cry over romantic and tragic movies we watched… the girl who did stand by me but would barely reach above my jaws when I held her.

I grabbed my phone and called her; I can’t reach her and guessed she changed her number.

I boarded the plane, not going to work but to her. I went to her place but she wasn’t home yet. I’ve waited and waited until dark. It was past 11 and I lost hope of seeing her that night.

I stood up, and in my mind I longed for a new beginning with her if she would just only give me the one more chance I need. In an instant before me she stood almost in awe and before she could possibly run or even talk, I placed the red roses I bought for her in her hands with a card that said, “I can’t miss this day again, our 19th.”

© 2015 pristine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
Added on January 12, 2015
Last Updated on January 12, 2015

Author

pristine
pristine

cagayan de oro city, Philippines



About
Writing's been my passion. I am currently working for an official university publication at a state university. more..

Writing