chapter 4

chapter 4

A Chapter by cody

Chapter 4--Metamorphosis

           

            Zander awoke in the middle of the night thinking of Astrithr.

            “What is happening to us? Blanc doesn’t seem like himself after returning from Valhalla.” Zander thought to himself. Zander rolls out of bed slipping on his green robe. He walks to the upper balcony looking up to the stars. Blanc walks up behind him.

            “What are you doing brother?” Blanc asked.

            “Looking at the mystic lights. Do you look at them anymore?” Zander asked.

            “No. Reminds me too much of Valhalla.” Blanc said.

            “Remind me brother, why are we revolting against the gods?” Zander asked.

            “As I said a year ago the gods have betrayed us and look at how far we have come--without the help of the gods.” Blanc said.

            “Astrithr said that we have doomed us all.” Zander said.

            “As I told you earlier do not worry about the elves, the medics will teach them how to live like us.” Blanc said.

            “What if we have doomed ourselves, what then?” Zander asked.

            “Enough. You are just being paranoid. We have freed ourselves from the cursed beings that we called gods. Ragnarok will be the new heaven as soon as everyone else realizes that the gods are nothing!” Blanc shouted.

            “What has become of you? You are not the same. What really happened in Valhalla?” Zander asked.

            “Fine you want the truth here it is. I fell in love with a Valkyrie and Odin forbidden it so I struck him down, now my dreams haunts me.” Blanc said.

            “We are revolting against the gods because of your lust? Are you mad, Astrithr was right we have doomed ourselves.” Zander said.

            “It’s too late now the pendulum of time has already shifted its course in our favor, the world will be ours to command just like we always wanted it to, unless you have forgotten our sacred oath.” Blanc said.

            “No I remember, I Zander take this oath to help my brothers to rule the world like no other kings have done before.” Zander recited.

            “Like no other kings have done before. And we have succeeded in that goal just look down at your city below look at our lust it is. So what we don’t have the gods favor anymore, but remember what it was like when the kings did listen to the gods. There is no more bloodshed in the city walls. Now tell me how this is going to bring us to our doom.” Blanc said.

            “I guess you are right.” Zander said.

            “Now that we are on the same page go back to sleep.” Blanc said.

            “I think I’m going to stay out here for a while.” Zander said gazing back at the stars.

            “Ok.” Blanc said and retired to his bed. Zander remain on the balcony watching the sky shift from the mystic lights to the raise of the sun. Zander left to the throne room seeing Blanc already in his chair.

            “Good morning brother.” Blanc greeted.

            “Good morning. I’ve been thinking.” Zander said.

            “What?” Blanc asked.

            “It’s been a while since we have visited the lower quarters.” Zander said.

            “Yes it has. Let’s take a stroll down there.” Blanc said. Blanc and Zander left the throne room and walked to the lower quarters. The Lower quarters is a much different scenery then the castle quarters. The Lower quarters are home to low lives and thugs, as for the castle quarters houses the most respective people of Ragnarok. The Lower quarters houses are single room shacks made of rotting timber that sit side by side one another. As Blanc and Zander venture further and further into the lower quarters they began to have an eerie feeling as a small boy ran past them.

            “Stop that runt!” A guard shouted. Blanc used his physic power forcing the child to a halt. The child has brown hair and appears to be twelve.

            “What seems to be the problem?” Zander asked.

            “He stole bread from the bread maker, your majesty.” The guard said.

            “Did he now? Come child.” Blanc said. The child wanted to run but couldn’t over power Blanc’s physic powers. “Why did you steal child?” Blanc persuaded.

            “To feed my brothers.” The child cried.

            “Do you know what the punishment is for stealing?” Blanc asked.

            “Yes, but I didn’t then my brothers would starve.” The child cried.

            “You know the law now you must take the punishment for your crime.” Blanc said.

            “No!” The child sobbed as he collapsed to his knees begging the guard to spare him.

            “Blanc can I talk to you?” Zander asked.

            “What?” Blanc asked.

            “It wasn’t long ago that we were in this same situation.” Zander said.

            “What’s your point?” Blanc asked.

            “Point is, we should spare this child for he is protecting his brothers a rule that we lived by when we lived here or have you forgotten that rule.” Zander said.

            “I haven’t forgotten the rule.” Blanc said.

            “So we spare this child.” Zander said.

            “Fine. Guard you will spare this child.” Blanc said.

            “As you wish. You are free to leave youngster.” The guard said. The child scampered away.

            “Let’s return to the castle.” Blanc said.

            A guard stood by the castle entrance with an old women bound by rope.

            “What is the meaning of this!” Blanc roared.

            “You honor this women is suspected with treason.” The guard replied.

            “Treason?” Zander asked.

            “She was caught plotting a revolution against you and your brothers.” The guard said.

            “Did she have any companions?” Blanc asked.

            “None that we have found, my men are searching the area as we speak.” The guard said.

            “I wish Seryth was here.” Blanc sighed. “Very well throw her in the dungeon.”

 Blanc said.

            “As you wish, come on hag.” The guard said.

            “Wait Blanc we have to get her side of the story.” Zander said.

            “I’m only following the brother’s code.” Blanc said sarcastically.

            “No you are just being stubborn.” Zander said.

            “So what she is charged with treason not only that she was plotting against us!”

Blanc roared.

            “I’m going to the dungeon with or without you.” Zander said.

            “You are only wasting your time brother.” Blanc said as Zander headed to the dungeon. “Why can’t he be like Seryth, instead of caring about every creature in the cursed world.” Blanc thought to himself.

            Zander walked down the spiral stairwell that led to the dungeon cells. Zander approached the cell of the old hag.

            “My dear what is your name.” Zander asked in a sincere voice.

            “Sapphire.” Sapphire replied.

            “Sapphire, what were you doing when the guards took you from your house?”

Zander asked.

            “It wasn’t me you know. The guards framed me. They told me to; prepare battle plans, for an invasion. I was using our kingdom, as a template. Why would I conspire, against my home?” Sapphire asked.

            “I believe you. Who were the guards that framed you?” Zander asked.

            “The one that turned me in.” Sapphire said. Zander left Sapphire and returned to Blanc.

            “So you returned. Am I right it was a waste of time?” Blanc asked.

            “She says she was framed.” Zander said.

            “That’s what they all say isn’t it?” Blanc asked.

            “I believe her; I think we should talk to this guard.” Zander said.

            “Why can’t you believe there is some people that are pure evil?” Blanc asked.

            “We killed the creature that was pure evil.” Zander said.

            “I’m sorry but I’m not going to take a chance on this one. She will be hung tomorrow.” Blanc said.

            “You can’t do that. Even Seryth would investigate further in this case.” Zander said.

            “Seryth is not here, and I think he would agree with my decision.” Blanc said.

            “I don’t approve.” Zander said.

            “I don’t care you saved one person today without my approval. This is my case and I will be the judge of who is right and who is wrong.”

            “And you say that Sapphire is guilty?” Zander asked.

            “Sapphire, is that the old hag’s name? Then yes, Sapphire is to hang tomorrow. Don’t lose any sleep over this one brother, it won’t do you any good.” Blanc said and left it with that.

            That night Zander snuck to the dungeons.

            “Sapphire, you awake?” Zander asked.

            “Yeah, I want to enjoy, the time I have.” Sapphire said.

            “I’m going to get you out of here.” Zander said as he unlocked the cell.

            “Where are you, planning to take me?” Sapphire asked.

            “To the forest, you’ll be safe there.” Zander said escorting her out of the dungeon. Outside Zander morphed into an eagle and spall on the ground as Sapphire climbed on his back.

            “Hold on tight, we will be in the forest by sunrise.” Zander said as he flapped his wings flying high in the sky to be undetected by the sentry.

            Zander entered the forest just as the sun began to rise in the eastern sky. Zander morphed back as he landed in the elven city square where Alkyl stood.

            “Zander what are you doing here?” Alkyl asked.

            “I’m sorry Alkyl, but I had to protect this elderly woman from being hanged.”

Zander said.

            “Hanged? For what?” Alkyl asked.

            “She was framed for treason.” Zander said.

            “I don’t know how long we can keep her hidden. Did Seryth look further into it?”

Alkyl asked.

            “He is away on a special mission. Blanc wants to hang her.” Zander said.

            “You know Blanc will be here as soon as he learns that she is missing.” Alkyl said.

            “I know. So I’ll just wait here for now.” Zander said. Just then, Blanc appeared in thin air.

            “Zander I told you she is to be hanged.” Blanc said.

            “I won’t let you.” Zander said.

            “You are only making this harder on yourself.” Blanc said.

            “Why can’t you investigate further into the case like we agreed we would?” Zander asked.

            “Because we have to make her an example in case there are others in the kingdom that are planning something against us. As the brother code states the brothers must protect each other no matter the cost is that not what it says?” Blanc asked.

            “There has to be another way.” Zander said.

            “There is no other way we must continue with the hanging. Now hand her over or else.” Blanc said.

            “Or else what?” Zander asked.

            “You will leave me no choice but to use my physic powers on you.”

            “You dare to hypnotize me?” Zander roared.

            “If I must then, yes.” Blanc said.

            “What have you become? You are the evil that we defeated a year ago.” Zander pleaded.

            “No I just know what is right for the kingdom and if that means I have to shred some blood then I will. Now hand her over or I will force you to.” Blanc ordered.

            “Fine. You win.” Zander said at last. “I’m sorry Sapphire, I have failed to protect you.” Zander said.

            “It is ok. My time has come. Thank you, for letting, me see the, sunrise, again.” Sapphire said. Blanc teleported his brother and Sapphire back to Ragnarok. There the citizens crowded around the hanging platform.

            “Today we are to see this woman hanged for treason. Let this be an example to all who tries to bring harm to this kingdom!” Blanc preached as Zander helped Sapphire onto the platform. Zander put the noose around her neck, and then pulled the lever. The old woman’s lifeless body flopped around in the air.

            “You have done well my brother. You have taken the first step to be a true king.” Blanc said to Zander.

            “You were right. There is still evil out there that must be dealt with.” Zander said. When Blanc and Zander returned to the throne room Zander sent a servant to fetch the guard that brought Sapphire into custody.

            “You wish to speak to me Lord Zander?” The guard asked.

            “Yes I wanted to thank you for helping to protect the kingdom. I think you should be rewarded. What do you think Blanc?” Zander asked.

            “I think you are right.” Blanc said. Zander summoned a pack of wolves that viciously tare the limbs off the guard, as he cried out in pain. Seconds later the cries ceased.

            “Well done. You will be a great king at this rate.” Blanc said. Through the course of a week Zander became more and more like Blanc enforcing the law with a bloody hand. Anyone who tried to deny their punishment met with a pack of wolves. The excusers also received punished by becoming slaves in the castle and others sent to the coliseum to fight to the death.

            One day Zander awakens to find his physical form changing. As Zander looks into the mirror he notices, his deep green eyes become a flaring flame of soulless black. His short hair lush with a colorful brown pigment begins to grow and turn silver as a wolf’s coat. His skin began to sink; he tugs and claws at the loose skin, picking it off until he was nothing but a bony skeleton. As he sighed, he saw his cold breathe. He was now a death druid.

            “What has happened?” Zander asked himself, his words came out in a deathly tone.

            “You have finally gone through a metamorphosis. I have too gone through my metamorphosis but kept myself hidden. Now look at me.” Blanc said, revealing his true form. His metamorphosis was much different from Zander’s. Blanc morphed into a dark psychic warrior. He has lavender eyes and hair. His skin remains human, but has a purple aura around him. “With your metamorphosis your abilities has also changed. Summon your wolf.” Blanc said. Zander summons a wolf but it was also different. The wolf is much larger with black fur, and demonic canines.

            “What happened to my wolf?” Zander asked.

            “It’s a warg now. Wargs are stronger, faster, and more viscous than the average wolf.” Blanc informed. “Let’s test its killing power.” Blanc said.

            “How do you plan to do that?” Zander asked.

            “Let’s have some of the arena combatants fight one.” Blanc said.

             The arena was an ordinary coliseum, tall and round, made out of stone. A twenty-foot wall that encircles the combatants’ ring and dirt makes up the arena floor, above it is the spectators’ section, which extends another fifty-foot. Midway in the spectators’ section is a balcony where the arena coordinator and other high officials watch the combatants fight. The balcony has a small roof over it to keep the officials out of the elements. An executioner is present to tell the victor to kill his opponent or to let him survive. Blanc and Zander walked in wearing black robes, as they examine the room, the combatants are getting ready for another day in the arena.

            “Combatants, I have a proposition to make with you.” Blanc said.

            “What’s that?” A combatant asked. The combatant wasn’t more than eighteen of age, but had the body of a season soldier.

            “I will let anyone live with us in the castle with full benefits. On one condition you must kill one of Zander’s creations.” Blanc said.

            “I’ll accept the challenge.” The combatant said. The combatant was in his mid-thirties and was a senior combatant. He wields a sword and shield made of steel and wore full steel body armor.

            “Good. Get prepared you fight in one hour.” Blanc said.

            An hour passed and the arena was full of spectators, Blanc and Zander made their way to the balcony where they met with the arena coordinator, and executioner.

            “Good morning my Kings, what brings you to the arena this fine day?” The arena coordinator asked. The arena coordinator is a bitter old man and any day could be his last.

            “We would like to experiment with one of your combatants.” Blanc said.

            “Experiment? I did not know of such--

            “Not to worry I have already selected the test subject. Ah here he comes now.” Blanc said. The combatant entered the arena to their left.

            “That is your test subject! Forgive me your highness but he is the best combatant we have. He is known as Tyr.”

            “Good then he will be the perfect match.” Blanc said as he stood. “Welcome everyone. Today is a special day. Today the famous Tyr shall have the privilege to stay at the castle if he defeats a sacred beast known as the warg.” Blanc said. Zander summons a warg in the center of the arena; the crowd gasps at the scene of the mutated wolf. The warg charges at Tyr with great speed. Tyr defends himself with his buckler. The warg tears the buckler from Tyr’s arm as Tyr counters with a sideward slash. The warg answers with a devastating rake knocking Tyr to the ground. The warg now in control of the battle circles the wounded Tyr. A beam of light from the sky shines on Tyr. Tyr enters a trance and charges at the warg. Now equal to the warg’s power Tyr hacks and slashes at the beast landing lethal blows that made it howl in agony. The warg collapses to the ground, Tyr towers over it and looks up to his kings. Zander in disbelief turns to Blanc. Blanc has a smirk on his face.

            “What are you laughing at?” Zander asked.

            “This one will prove to be a valuable ally.” Blanc said as he stood to turn his attention to the victor. “It appears Tyr has lived. A deal is a deal, you shall stay at the castle young warrior.” Blanc said. Blanc and Zander escorted Tyr to the castle.

            “So they call you Tyr in the arena. What is your real name?” Zander asked.

            “Brock.” Brock answered.

            “Well Brock welcome to the castle. Your chamber is up the stairs and is the last room on the right. We will give you some time to unpack. When you are done come down and join us for dinner.” Blanc said. Brock left to his chambers as Blanc and Zander sat on their Thrones.

            “Blanc how did that low life kill my warg?” Zander asked.

            “I’m not sure. We will ask him tonight at dinner.” Blanc said.

            Tyr entered the dining hall as a servant fixed Blanc’s and Zander’s plate. Blanc sat at the north end of the table and Zander sat across from him.

            “Welcome Tyr. Come sit down.” Blanc greeted. Tyr sat in between them.

            “So how did you become a gladiator?” Zander asked.

            “I was caught stealing a sword from the blacksmith in the lower quarters. The jailer didn’t have any room for me, so as a punishment I was sentenced to a life as a gladiator. That was eight years ago when I was ten.”

            “How impressive, so you must be a skillful swordsman by now?” Blanc asked.

            “I prefer the title weapon master.” Tyr said.

            “Oh? Why is that?” Blanc asked.

            “Give me any weapon and I will kill anyone or anything.” Tyr boasted.

            “I want to know something.” Zander said.

            “What’s that?” Tyr asked.

            “How did you defeat the warg?” Zander asked.

            “I’m not sure. I remember the beast knocking me to the ground, and circling me. Next I felt a warm feeling, almost as if I went into a trance.” Tyr explained.

            “Do you worship the gods?” Zander asked.

            “Of course I pray to them every time I am just about to fight.” Tyr said.

            “And you believe the gods make you go into a trance?” Zander asked.

            “I do.” Tyr said.

            “What would you say about giving up praying to the gods?” Zander asked.

            “I would say you are crazy.” Tyr said.

            “I’ll make a deal with you. If you give up praying to the gods then I will give you power beyond your wildest dream. Power that will surpass that so called trance of yours.” Zander said.

            “Hmm. Power that can surpass my trance. Deal.” Tyr said. Zander rose from his feet removing his robe revealing his true form.

            “What are you?” Tyr gasp.

            “I am a death druid. And you will now be a death warrior. As a death warrior you will recruit new soldiers and teach them the ways of killing.” Zander said as he casts soul drain transforming Tyr into a death warrior. “Now rise Warlord.” Zander said.



© 2013 cody


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on March 28, 2013
Last Updated on March 28, 2013


Author

cody
cody

Deepwater, MO



Writing
Drake Drake

A Story by cody


The Legend The Legend

A Book by cody


Grimlock Grimlock

A Chapter by cody