Suns of Grinches

Suns of Grinches

A Story by tmike
"

A Sports Article Story

"
Suns of Grinches

15 days removed from Christmas and 8 days from Kwanzaa yet a busy schedule finally saw the Grinch make his Holiday Rounds in the Twin Cities.


Minnesota fans are wondering if this fan rollercoaster is destined opposite of the light because we never receive the blessing that comes with the faith we put in our sports teams.  I don’t know where the Phoenix Suns lie on this spectrum but last night left a common burn in the hearts of the Minnesota Hopefuls in another disappointment under the national spotlight.


The last time we got the chance to prove ourselves under the lights, we took a more than embarrassing loss to the formerly known as the MINNEAPOLIS Lakers. Now it’s hard to come by 2nd chances but ESPN gracefully enough gave us a gift on the primetime slot to forgive our first botch. I mean, that’s the best way to put it given that the Wolves are the most respected under .500 team I’ve ever seen and shouldn’t be losing to a team lead by a point guard truly not better than our Ricky Rubio yet he’s probably our 4th option!


I would say watching this game from a neutral fans point of view, this game gave you the equivalent of watching the Sunday weekly Romo show in Dallas. The Wolves who recently let a lead slip away against the Oklahoma City Thunder would control this game after another dominant 3rd quarter that showed the Wolves 6 point halftime deficit turn into a 5 point lead going into the fourth. And it wasn’t like all hell just broke loose in the fourth, the Wolves bench actually held it down not letting the Suns get within their beginning of the quarter deficit but then, crunch time came.


Like most coaches would do in this situation, Rick Adelman put his trust into his starters giving them the chance to prove their composure and will to finish. To do that, you need a reliable point guard and going with the 6 years of professional basketball overseas prior to joining the Wolves, Ricky Rubio, seemed ideal. But to make me rethink my earlier statement about our point guard being better than the Suns Goran Dragic, Dragic took over the game right in the grill of Rubio. Dragic hit three key jumpers and a nasty euro lay-up down the stretch that brought the Suns down 102-103 with a little under a minute left.


We put the ball in the hands of our young stud, Rubio, who was being guarded by Dragic. With the shot clock winding down Rubio was forced to make a drive to the basket but went into the lane with no intentions on scoring. Instead, he made a leap in the air undecided on his next move underneath the basket (a cardinal sin in basketball) and with no choice passed it to one of the Morris twins (doesn’t really matter which) and turnover the other way for the Suns with a chance to win the game!


And now the best part was still to come. Y’all remember when Gerald Green played for us back in like ’08 and we let him go after his agent demanded he be traded because he was getting no burn? Well, six years later, that same Gerald Green would be the one to play the role of himself, karma and the dude whole stole Christmas (on CPT) all rolled in one ‘Reggie’ moment as he would hit the game winning shot that dropped the mood and stole the game away from Minnesota Hopefuls.


For the fans, it’s another sh*t talking moment on why in your school or work circles. As for the Wolves, it’s one step back under that .500 mountain. Smh.

 

 

 

© 2014 tmike


Author's Note

tmike
FOR SPORTS FANS! Part 2 of the per-game story. Comments please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on January 9, 2014
Last Updated on January 9, 2014
Tags: sports newspapaer entertainment

Author

tmike
tmike

Twin Cities, MN



About
Need Help. Looking to get into writing Sports Stories so it would be very much appreciated if you could leave comments and suggestions. I'm more focused on improving my writing more than getting out t.. more..

Writing