Mattie and the Blue Lion

Mattie and the Blue Lion

A Story by George Love
"

A young girl gets help from an unusual source

"

 

Mattie and the Blue Lion
 
Mattie did now always know where to go for help. Adults in her life did not always know where they could go for help either. Some of the adults in Mattie’s life were cruel, both to Mattie and each other. When their voices started to get too loud, Mattie ran to her safe place under the staircase until the voices got quiet again. 
            One night, the voices got loud for a very long time. While Mattie was hiding, she explored her safe place a little more. She found a place where the faded wallpaper pulled away from the wall. She could see a bright blue line from one corner. It was such a pretty shade of blue, she pulled the paper back so she could see more of the drawing.
            Once she pulled more of the paper away, she found the drawing of a blue lion on the wall. Someone drew this creature in great detail and it looked so real, she could almost see it moving. Mattie felt the picture, and it seemed to come to life. She wasn’t afraid, and it seemed to give her strength.
            As Mattie rubbed the picture from its head to its tail, the blue lion turned its head toward her, as if it wanted her to rub its head.   Before she could realize what was happening, the lion stepped from the wall and stood between her and the door. She knew somehow to hide behind the magnificent animal as the door flew open. One of the men in the house had come for her.
            The blue lion roared its biggest roar, and the man fell backwards in fear. The lion stepped out of Mattie’s small hiding place with Mattie close behind. With incredible speed and strength, the blue lion led Mattie out of the dangerous house and to a shelter. 
            Seen only to Mattie and the other children in the shelter, the Blue Lion stood guard at their door until Mattie was safe again. Before it left, Mattie rubbed its head and hugged its beautiful blue mane. 
            When Mattie turned away, the lion was gone. She knew it would be there should she ever need its help again. 

© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is good. I think you could really stretch this out quite a bit - put a little meat on its bones. Tell us about the arguing, the fright, the flight. Did people just run from the lion? Who were the adults? Her parents? The man?

Your piece stands alone well as a concise piece of flash fiction, but I can't help wanting a little more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a respectable piece of flash fiction. I love the metaphor of the Blue Lion. And it does a good job of attacking the subject of child abuse in a child-friendly manner. Children in abusive situations often cannot process the horrible experiences they have, therefore replacing an abusive parent's or other adult's form with that of a monster, and their protector's with some symbol of honour and courage in their drawings. I think this piece could be lengthened if you wanted, but for the sake of keeping it child-friendly, I'm glad you haven't. Well done. You've made the cut thusfar in Dreamscape. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is good. I think you could really stretch this out quite a bit - put a little meat on its bones. Tell us about the arguing, the fright, the flight. Did people just run from the lion? Who were the adults? Her parents? The man?

Your piece stands alone well as a concise piece of flash fiction, but I can't help wanting a little more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Overall a good read, keep up the good work and feel free to send me a request when ever..
One!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..