Wolf in Vampire Clothing

Wolf in Vampire Clothing

A Story by George Love
"

A new threat enters Mallory's life.

"

 

Wolf in Vampire Clothing
 
Tony felt uneasy as his father prepared for the night hunt with Justin. Something about Justin’s attitude did not feel right to him. Even though his latest interaction with Justin did not go well, Justin’s sudden peaceful demeanor and change of attitude did not match the encounter. 
            Tony’s inherent mind probing ability left him confused. The images entering his mind made little sense to him. He knew the limitations of his ability, but once he entered a person’s mind, the images he collected were accurate. The images he collected from Justin were disjointed, confusing and made little sense to him. He needed his father’s insight into these images, but his father needed to feed tonight. Two vampires on the hunt for willing victims in a small town often led to competition for the victim. 
            Justin methodically donned his night gear. The old vampires wore capes to hide their feeding on the unwilling in years past. Now the night hunter used dark, loose fitting clothing to hide in the shadows and allow freedom of movement. They had to cover their pale skin which in the darkness almost shone with a luminescent quality. Additionally, the dark clothing offered some protection from the early morning sun. 
            Tony’s father dressed in his traditional black loose-fitting weatherproof gear. IN addition to this, he wore Kevlar beneath his clothing, and included a hood of the same material. Tony often thought it odd that his father chose to wear bullet-proof gear. 
            “This time is treacherous for all beings mortal or otherwise my son. Traveling about at night in certain areas requires due diligence so we do not reveal ourselves before our time. An overzealous home owner protecting their family, a mugger, or an errant hunter could wander into our path. These garments allow us to explain why the bullets do not kill us, even the silver or wooden ones, even though they are largely myths.”
            Tony watched as they left. The pair disappeared into the night within a few feet of the house, blending in with the shadows as they sniffed the air for their willing victims. As they ventured further from the house, Tony’s suspicious nature spiked as unusual sounds emanated from the back side of the house.  He checked all doors out of habit and noticed the neighborhood pets seemed more agitated. A sudden thump on the back door caused Tony to jump.
            As he went to his back door, the thump became louder, followed by scratching and a loud feline yowl. Tony was surprised to see Mallory’s cat, Stanley at his house. He knew the cat did not care for him, but in keeping with the mood of the night, this fit in with all things strange.
            Stanley hissed at him initially, but clawed at the door again. Tony opened the door and allowed the cat inside. It was uneasy, but also seemed more at ease inside than outside. Stanley ran to the windows flanking the back door and hissed loudly at something in the shadows. Tony could not see anything in the shadows, but he knew better than to discount the cat’s superior vision.  Something was in his back yard and from the behavior of Mallory’s cat; it was demonic and more sinister than a Graveling or Goran.
            “You can see something, I know it. If only I had your vision,” Tony said to the feline.
            As he studied the shadows in his backyard, Tony thought he caught a glimpse of something moving across the tree line at the back of the yard. It moved too fast for him to make out its form, but Stanley arched his back and hissed loudly at the shape. The cat could make out the form clearly. As the demon moved closer to the house, Stanley tried to project his images to Tony. Mallory could at times capture the ideas Stanley projected, but it was not foolproof.
            Tony shrank back from the window as he captured the image of the old werewolf lurking in the shadows of his back yard. Stanley projected the image again so Tony could understand the intent of this demon. As he rubbed against Tony’s legs, he fought back the urge to defecate on his clean shoes.
            The image of the old werewolf attacking his father as he returned from the hunt repulsed him, but the images were not set. This was a possible outcome. The intent to attack existed, but the opportunity to attack was not yet upon them. Satisfied he accomplished his task; Stanley walked arrogantly to the front door and demanded his freedom. As Tony opened the front door, the sight of Mallory caused him to jump again. 
            “Holy Mother of God!!” he exclaimed. “You almost gave me a heart attack Mallory! Are you looking for your cat?”
            “Yeah, yeah,” she said. “Is he here?”
            Stanley all but jumped into Mallory’s arms, happy to be out of the more than uncomfortable surroundings. He purred loudly as he rubbed her face, projecting his images from the back yard and the intent of the werewolf. Mallory looked at Tony and could understand his fear. Her father was on the trail of the werewolf stalking Tony’s father. Amanda was her father’s lookout and Mallory was the decoy. Along with Stanley, they flushed this werewolf into revealing itself in wolf form. It was hungry, but intent on attacking a vampire rather than taking a willing victim.
            “It’s going to be okay Tony. You know what my father and I do, so we mean you no harm. We mean no harm to your father. He has never transgressed the Code, so he is safe. We are here to protect him and you as hard as that might be for both of us to believe. Something is happening tonight and it’s going to go down big.”
            “Yeah, I could sense that. I got inside Justin’s head, and it’s really confusing in there. He’s confused about who or what he is, so it’s all a mess.”
            “I know. Stanley went off on him when he messaged me the other night. He’s a mixed demon Tony. I thought it before, but with what you just said, now I am sure. He must be eliminated, but it’s against the Code for you or your father to turn on him or deliver him to a Slayer.”
            “So, what demon is he?”
            “He’s a young vampire turned werewolf. My father and I think he’s in league with the shape-shifter who’s trained the Gravelings. We could be wrong, but it does make perfect sense.”
            “Well, that I don’t know, but something’s different about him. He gives me the creeps and I’m the son of a vampire.”
            “Watch your back, Tony, and your father’s. Is he hunting tonight?”
            “With Justin, I’m afraid.  They both need a willing victim tonight. My father delayed feeding because Justin needed so much attention. He’s the weakest I’ve seen him in years.”
            “That isn’t good, Tony. Justin wants to feed on anything that will give him more strength and power.  He’s very ambitious. You think he would attack my father don’t you?”
            “It’s not just possible, it’s probable Tony. If he takes your father down tonight, that werewolf is coming after you. If Justin does not take your father tonight, that werewolf in your back yard intends to take him, and Justin will take you. Either way, they intend to take you family down tonight.”
            “Mallory, I trust you to protect my father tonight. Will you go?”
            “You’re in danger too, Tony. I know we may not see eye to eye on many things, but I don’t want anything to happen to you tonight.”
            “Your father’s on this werewolf. I can sense it. You can track my father and protect him. It does not violate your Code to protect him tonight and I give you my trust. As a Slayer, you have to do this.”
            “Well, you do understand the Code. I don’t want to leave you here. If anything goes wrong on my father’s quest, you’re unprotected. Amelia’s hurt and Amanda’s with my father.”
            “Stephanie’s at home and I know she has been your assistant on other missions.”
            “I should have known you knew about us. Do you have any idea where they are looking tonight?”
            “I think they are looking in the area of the psych hospital. Younger, suicidal victims are their targets tonight.” 
            “I’m on my way. Stanley, I want you to stay here. You’ll be Tony’s early warning system till I get back.”
            Stanley growled in disagreement, but Mallory knew her cat. He would stay with Tony until she returned. It was against her better judgments, but Mallory left to protect the old vampire. She called Stephanie while she drove towards the small psychiatric hospital. She could feel the despair and heartache as she approached the building. No wonder she avoided this place. It was simply too depressing for her. She spotted the two victims soon enough. Both were young, but neither wanted to live past this night. Both bore the tell-tale marks of the vampire. Justin took both victims and he carelessly left both in full view with the bite marks visible. 
            Mallory did not like the scene. Stephanie’s face bore a look of shock as she followed Mallory into the courtyard. It looked like a slaughterhouse, unlike the scenes Mallory took her on before. She barely had time to react before Mallory grabbed her and the two girls were running for their lives. The scene was what Mallory feared. It was a trap and they were in the middle of it. All they could do now was run.
             
           
 

© 2009 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A interesting tale, perhaps you shold try a book as they are all in vogue as top sellers now..Kathei

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great story!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Awesome story

Posted 14 Years Ago


Like me, you've been reading too much Twilight! But I like your story though.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

486 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 20, 2009

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love