Ghenkon

Ghenkon

A Chapter by cobebear

The last light of the day descended into the worlds end, ceasing to exist. It was late now, and the night scavengers, of both nature and men, started to advance into the forests and plains. The inhabitants of the stone and clay buildings extinguished their lights, lying themselves down into an abundance of rest, forgetting and forgiving all the troubles the day had brought them.

All but a few constructs had now dimmed down, and they would serve no value until the very next day. The remaining buildings were bars, guard stations, a few inns, and a trade hut. All the things you may need in a shadow run darkness. In the paths and streets, all you could hear was either the roaring laughter and talking of drunks, or the pairs of guards that would pass by the buildings on street patrol, talking about the bribes they accepted today.

There was an entrance gate to the small town, of course. Not just one, but two. One served as an exit, while the other served as an entrance. It was located at the north part of town, protected by a pack of foolish guards, just like most small towns have. The guards were not serious about there being a possibility of strong intruders. For the most they have gotten was a lousy group of rogues.

A figure emerged from the darkness in front of the gate. The guards noticed the figure and told the figure to halt. “Sir, we either need a pass, or five hundred depudes,” one of the guards stated. The figure paused for a bit. He was dressed in a black hooded coat covering his face. He pulled the hood down, revealing his face. He had jet black dreadlocks, pulled up into a short samurai like ponytail. His right eye had a gash that had later turned into a tinted scar. His eyes, a dark hazel color, like the tar of a swamp. The guards stood there shocked. “O-Oh. Ghenkon. We didn’t know it was you. Please, we apologize. Welcome back.” Ghenkon nodded. “Thank you. Here’s ten thousand depudes for your services.” Ghenkon handed the guard who had spoke ten coins, each one worth one thousand depudes.

Ghenkon continued to walk at a medium pace. As he passed guards, and out late citizens, he heard his name several times. He was well known in this town, but only to the night owls who stayed up late. He continued to walk down the street, with his hands dangling at his side, to let people know he wasn’t going to cause trouble.

He stopped at a large wooden plank building that towered over him. The sign above the door read, “Tal’s Brewery & Inn”. Ghenkon stood in front of the door for a moment. Then, he knocked on the door several times. A few moments later, the door swung open to reveal a very red faced man. He was quite tall, only a few inches higher than Ghenkon, and he had long grey hair and a beard almost as long as his hair. “You know this is a bar, you can just walk right in whenever you want, it’s not like it’s-,” he started shouting, then stopped himself, realizing Ghenkon was at the door. “Oh, I say. It’s Ghenkon…” the man said quietly. “Are you alright, Tal?” Ghenkon asked. “Oh yes, I’m fine. Come in, come in. They’re waiting for you in the west parlor room.”

As they entered, the atmosphere seemed empty and still. There were about seven tables throughout the bar. There were only three people sitting and drinking, being completely quiet. there was also a cleaner, wiping down the bar table, where customers were served. Tal and Ghenkon then headed left down a hallway. There was a door at the end of the hallway, which of course, was the West Parlor. “Now don’t get into any trouble, Ghenkon,” Tal warned him. “Don’t worry. I’ll be absolutely fine.”

When Ghenkon entered the room, several pieces of sofa, were formed at a half arch, arching over a marble table with a few drinks on them. Sitting in the pieces of sofa, there were several men. “Welcome, Ghenkon,” The one in the middle said, opening his arms up with a smile. “You are Ghenkon, right?” The one of the left said, sounding very idiotic. “Of course he is, Rave. Have you never seen him before?” The man on the right said. “Rave. Vincent. Let’s all just do what we’re here to do, okay?” The man in the middle said. “Yes, Blaze.” they said. “Where’s the information packet about Caligo?” Ghenkon asked, standing up straight. Blaze pulled out a small envelope. Written on it, there was a runic looking language. “God Caligo…” Ghenkon said, immediately translating the writing. Blaze handed Ghenkon the envelope carefully. “That’s the best information we got. Now, you said you would pay us five thousand depudes?” Blaze asked. The other two smiled. “Right,” Ghenkon said, reaching into his pocket. “You know what, I actually gave it to the guards, because of the great services they complete in this town.” Ghenkon turned around and opened the door. “If you want the money, you’re going to have to get it from them. It shouldn’t be too hard,” Ghenkon said with a dark voice. Blaze and the two others stood up drawing out there blades in anger. “How dare you do this to us!” Blaze yelled. Ghenkon snapped back, facing blaze and shot out a spew of lava out of his hand, hitting the wall behind Blaze. “I missed on purpose,” Ghenkon said. “You can still get the money, you just may have to do a little blood work.” Ghenkon smiled. “Here,” Ghenkon flipped a coin into Blaze’s hand. “Hm? 1000 depudes. For what?” Blaze asked. “To keep your mouth shut when you mercilessly beat the hell out of those guards.”

As Ghenkon left the town, Blaze, Vincent, and Rave followed behind. They then went up and confronted the guards. “Excuse me, sir,” Blaze said to one of the guards, “we have information about you guys having ten thousand depudes.” The guard turned over to see Blaze. “Yeah? And what is it to you?” The guard asked. Blaze nodded to Vincent and Raze. “We want it.”

Ghenkon had already been a few hundred feet away when he started hearing the cries of the guards, who were being beaten by Blaze and his two followers. Ghenkon let out a laugh. “My goodness, I’ll never be going back there, I’m sure.”


© 2014 cobebear


Author's Note

cobebear
Depudes are a type of currency.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love your use of imagery.! This was very well detailed and had a nice rhythm because of it. My only suggestion is that sometimes you use a word too often in one sentence, for example, "The guards noticed the figure and told the figure to halt." I think it would help to replace the second "figure" with something like "him" or "it", that way it keeps the flow. Very nice work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
cobebear

9 Years Ago

Glad you liked it! And I didn't noticed the halt thing, or using the same word in one sentence. Than.. read more



Reviews

I love your use of imagery.! This was very well detailed and had a nice rhythm because of it. My only suggestion is that sometimes you use a word too often in one sentence, for example, "The guards noticed the figure and told the figure to halt." I think it would help to replace the second "figure" with something like "him" or "it", that way it keeps the flow. Very nice work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
cobebear

9 Years Ago

Glad you liked it! And I didn't noticed the halt thing, or using the same word in one sentence. Than.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 17, 2014
Last Updated on June 17, 2014