Darkness descends.

Darkness descends.

A Chapter by gloriouscoconut
"

Attila and Edgar meet after the plane crash, Attila deals with a brain injury and Edgar takes care of her.

"
The time on the clock was 24:03, the plane was uncomfortable to say the least to Attila, but it was the best she could finding a last minute flight to her father's house. Attila looked out the window and wondered where they were above. Attila was a pale girl, she almost always wore her long almost white blonde hair down and covered with a beanie. She had another six hours on the plane so she closed her eyes and drifted away to dreamland.
Edgar was sitting at his desk, he was a brand new forest ranger, it wasn't ideal being out in the mountains in December but it beat working in town as some fast food employee. He was proud of his job, he only needed two years of college to get the job and it paid good enough for him to survive on his own. He was a tall young man, dark skin and dreamy dark eyes. Edgar's long hair was a symbol of his pride, his family lived on the reservation near the mountains, and for the moment that's where he was staying until the snow cleared enough to return to town safely. At exactly 25:03 Edgar felt a chill. He was used to the cold but this was very different. He stood up and looked through the windows of the station.
The lights in the station went completely out, the radio suddenly died and Edgar felt completely cut off in that moment. Looking out the window he saw the horrific sight of what looked like a plane crashing into the trees off in the distance. He turned away and hoped for a painless death to those in the small plane, he would have to go out later and investigate, after all that's what he's getting paid for.

Attila woke up as the plane descended speedily. she panicked and braced herself for the worst as the ground collided with the plane. The fire started in the plane engine. She looked around, barely conscious and saw a man crawling to her, "We need to get out."
Attila barely understood him, she nodded and felt her face get warm, she touched her face and felt the blood dripping down her face from the side of her face. Considering there was a lot of corpses in the plane now, she was pretty lucky. The man stood up and pushed against the emergency exit a row behind where Attila ended up. She stood up and felt very dizzy, almost fainting as she stood. The sensation of the fire behind her suddenly made her flight instincts kick in, she grabbed her bag hanging outside of the overhead compartment and took off with the man as he opened the door.
They ran. They ran as far as they could away from the plane. The cold forest around them almost encouraged them to move faster. The man was running ahead and he suddenly stopped, gasping for air he collapsed on his knees in front of a road. She came to his side and he held on to her for support. She tried to hold him up as best she could.
"I can't go on. Find help." She reached in her bag and gave him a blanket, he just laughed sadly and told her that she needs all the warmth she could get.
"You'll die on your own." She said with concern in her voice.
"But you'll live." He smiled, "You remind me of my daughter, she was always so worried about me. Go find help, you're bleeding badly."
Attila suddenly remembered her head injury, she nodded and waved goodbye sadly as she kept walking, hoping the road before her would lead her to safety.
Edgar was glad the ranger station had an old iron stove, it kept the whole station warm, considering the station was very small. he sat on the bunk bed up on the loft, staring out the window. The snow was coming down pretty hard, but he could still see everything off in the distance. He squinted at the road, someone was out there. He stood up to his full height, almost hitting his head on the ceiling, he was about six-foot-six and towered over almost everyone he met. He walked to the front door and hesitated to open it, he had plenty of firewood in storage so he could get the station toasty again. He walked out into the cold and walked briskly towards the person, he got closer and noticed it was a young girl and she was bleeding.
"Ma'am are you okay?" His deep voice echoed. She shook her head, trying to stay awake. Her legs shook and he quickly came to her side. He needed to get the bleeding to stop or she would bleed out long before any help arrived. He grabbed her bag and put it on his shoulder before grabbing her and picking her up in his arms bridal style. 
After getting back inside the station he placed her on one of the wooden chairs near the fire and grabbed the first aid kit. She was very beautiful, even with her hair messy and blood dripping down her face. He cleaned her face and started to sanitize her wound. She winced in pain as he touched her head, "I'm sorry but this should help." She was still very cold from being outside in the middle of the storm. He grabbed the blanket from the loft above her and wrapped her up in it.
"What is your name." He asked her, she probably had a concussion so he needed her awake for a while.
"Attila." She responded groggily. 
"I'm Edgar. I work for the forest service. What happened to you?"
"Plane... It just crashed..." She was slipping out of it, her speech was slurred.
"You need to lie down." He helped her up and took her up the ladder to the loft, she laid down on the bed and he sat by her side, then he took the emergency satellite phone out of his pocket. and tried to turn it on, he was worried when nothing happened, he had just charged it. He took out his own cellphone, and it was totally fried, "What on earth..." he muttered.
"What's wrong mister?" She looked up at him with her big beautiful eyes and his heart skipped a beat.
He coughed and shook his head, "Don't worry about anything, just rest."
She nodded and just closed her eyes. Hopefully when she wakes up she'll be better he thought.
Edgar had no idea what time it was, it was getting dark so it was more than likely around 6 or 7. He had kept watch over her for the last hour or so. Her eyes fluttered open and she sat up slowly.
"Where am I?" She stuttered and looked at him with confusion.
"It's okay Attila you're at the ranger's station, you walked here remember?" He said calmly.
"B-but the plane!" She panicked.
He touched her arm and she looked at him, "It's going to be okay we can go look when the weather clears up."
She nodded and a tear falls down her cheek, "I feel so mixed up."
"You have a mild concussion it seems. If your head hurts we have some aspirin." He started to stand.
She grabbed the sleeve of his shirt and he sat down again, "I'm fine don't go."
"If you need anything I'll get it you shouldn't get up." He told her and she nodded.
"I don't want to die alone." He looked at her confused, that was sudden.
"You're not going to die." 
She shook her head, "He died all alone... He died so I could be here."
"You need to stay alive okay you're not going to die." He didn't know what happened but he could see she was distressed.
She leaned into him and hugged him, he awkwardly hugged her back and she cried a little, "Why did the stupid plane have to crash."
He shook his head and just hugged her as she cried into his chest. The sun was going down fast, and soon the only light in the station came from the old iron stove.


© 2016 gloriouscoconut


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really really good. I like it. However, if I'm going to rate I'll have to nitpick. I would've liked to see more drama towards Attila searching for help. Maybe make the scene with the man a little more detailed, because it's a really influential scene where a man maybe sacrifices his life for a stranger. Something like that could be a chapter on it's own if you wanted to! and then maybe a little more detail on her searching for help. Was she limping? Where was she bleeding? What was she feeling/thinking as she searched for help? it was the coolest story i read in a while so far. Most stories cant keep my attention like yours cuz my ADD. im rating this 100/100

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 16, 2016
Last Updated on January 16, 2016