15

15

A Chapter by CodyB

What kind of man suffers through all, only to fail?

- Hercules


Robert stood, rain pouring around him, soaking his clothes and dripping down his skin. He did not think, he did not move; he stood. He stood over the fallen body of his friend, the rain diluting the pool of blood that was forming. Terrence’s naked, dead corpse lay in the water, his head a few feet away. Water and blood coated Backbreaker’s blade, the rain washing the blood away.

Why? Robert thought. Why did this happen? Why does this always happen?

Why does anything ever happen, Mr. Thurman? Hunt said. Fate is the word you humans use for this kind of thing, but the Caeleste know better. Fate is simply a word, with no meaning behind it. Nothing happens for a reason.

That doesn’t sound like something someone who believes in gods would say. Robert replied bitterly.

On the contrary, Mr. Thurman, the very fact that I believe in gods confirms my thoughts. Hunt said quickly. Knowing what kind of beings exist in the universe, I know that the universe has no rhyme or reason. This plane of existence we call home is a vicious place, Mr. Thurman, and the only thing that may very well be constant in the universe is its inconsistency. Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to good people. Wars rise up when peace is expected, and friends die more than once. The real question is, who will rise up and fight it? Who will take up arms against the empty coincidences of life? What hero can help the victims of this grand cosmic joke? Then he was gone.

Robert growled, turned around, and started pacing back and forth on the slick ground. Riddles seemed to be the only thing that he was given now.

“Why?” He shouted to the sky. “Why me? Why all this?”

No one answered.

Robert growled again, louder, and kicked Terrence’s corpse over and over again. His growls and grunts slowly turned into thick tears, and he eventually tripped over his own feet and fell onto the body. He stayed there, draped over the thing, holding it with all his might, and cried. He cried like he had never cried before. He let loose all the tears that had never fallen from his eyes, for all the hardships and heartache he had gone through. He cried for his daughter, for his wife, even for the men and women that he had barely known, the ones who had found during their travels. He cried for every single person he had ever known that had lost their life, but he cried mostly for himself. He cried because he was now alone, with no one to care for.

My dear Robert. You are never alone. A voice said in his head, like so many times before.

But this was not Samuel Hunt, nor any of the men who came before Hunt. This voice was unknown, and it held a power over Robert like nothing he had ever felt.

Robert’s tears stopped when he heard that voice. The voice was soothing, yet compelling; gentle, but firm. It was a voice to drive him on. It compelled him to continue.

And so he would.

Robert immediately stood up, hefted Backbreaker, and walked to the camp. Ignoring everything, he grabbed his pack with all his provisions, a single tarp from one of the tents, and a stone from off the ground. The last he tucked into his pants pocket, and he carried the others to the handcar.

He would need nothing else.

Climbing up onto the handcar, he rolled up his sleeves and gripped the center lever and heaved with all his strength. The car groaned and squeaked, but the lever went down and the car moved. Robert lifted the bar up and the sounds and movement repeated. After gauging how much strength this was going to take, and how far he had to go, he fell into a rhythm that was comfortable. He began to even forget the movement of his arms and the bar, especially since it became easier the faster he went. Soon he was flying down the abandoned tracks, the scenery blurring slightly.

So, obviously, he was only seeing things when he saw Julius standing off in the distance.


                *            *            *


Julius stood at the end of the stone forest, watching Robert swiftly move away on that handcar.

So close. Julius thought to himself. So hucking close.

Just like always, Julius. Just like always. It seems that nothing you do ever works. Omnipotence said.

And you don’t seem to do anything. I suppose that’s one way to go around having never failed. Julius snapped. Some of us, on the other hand, wish to attempt to do something with our lives.

And what have these attempts gotten you, Julius? Omnipotence said.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Julius walked away.


            *            *            *


Robert’s arms were burning far greater than they ever had before, so he forced himself to stop. He let go of the handcar pump and let the friction of the wheels stop the cart as he sat down, breathing heavily. He had been pumping the handcar for several hours now, and the landscape around him had changed dramatically. Stone forests had given way to brown dirt wastelands, the remnants of fields and grasslands. Holes peppered the ground; whether from erosion or old animal dens, Robert couldn’t say. The only other time he had been even near this kind of place was when he was running from the Burst. All of his life he had lived in Detroit, never really leaving it. Oh, he had been on business trips and things of the like, but he had never really seen the sights. Now, at least after the fact, he was.

Yes, Mr. Thurman, the world was such a beautiful place. You realize, however, that is not the reason we’re trying to save it.
Of course. Robert replied snidely. Because you only ever cared about your own goals, never about the beauty of things.

Mr. Thurman, please. The world was never beautiful to me. All of your petty wars and disputes, coupled with your absolute disdain for the land you call Earth, rather dispelled my interest. No, Mr. Thurman, I am not saving this world for itself. I am trying to save it for someone.

Who? Robert asked.

You, Robert. I am working for you.

Then he was gone.

Robert growled as he always did after Hunt’s aggravating cliffhangers, and stood up on the motionless handcart. He needed to get going.

In his anger, he failed to notice the woman who had walked up to him. Consequently, he let out a yelp and jumped in surprise, causing her to do the same.

It was actually quite funny until she pulled out a machete.

“Who are you?” She demanded, holding the machete in what was supposed to be a threatening way, but, to Robert’s trained eyes, was a terrible stance. Robert put his hands up and sighed.

“Put the weapon down, ma’am. I’m not going to hurt you.”  He said calmly.

“Like shint you are.” She replied quickly, keeping the machete up. She nodded toward Backbreaker. “Your sword certainly looks harmless.”

“You really want to see my sword?” Robert asked.

“Not really. I’d rather cut you to ribbons while you’re unarmed. Makes it easier for me to steal your ride.”
“And you think I’m just going to let that happen?” Look, Miss…”

“Lyssa.”

“Look, Lyssa, I don’t understand why you think I’m going to hurt you.” Robert said, hands still raised.

“And I don’t understand why a Hungered is talking. Looks like it’s a confusing day for both of us.” She said, and lunged with the machete.

Oh please. Robert thought. She was attacking upward, as he was still on the handcart. This put her at possibly the worst disadvantage short of being unarmed. In fact, Robert didn’t even need to pull Backbreaker out. From her stance, she wasn’t balanced at all. He slid out of the way of the blade, and kicked the side of it viciously. The sword flew out of her hands, and she spun to the ground with a grunt. Robert jumped down from the handcart, retrieved her machete, and held it a foot from her neck. All this while she hadn’t even recovered from having the breath knocked out of her. She looked at the blade, and then looked at Robert. He could see tears form up through her face mask.

“Please don’t kill me.” She whispered, nearly inaudible through the mask and from the rain that had started to kick up.

“Look, Lyssa, I already told you. I’m not going to hurt you.” He said, but she interrupted him.

“Just like all Hungered don’t hurt people? Please. The one thing I don’t get is how you can still talk. Most others are gibbering morons.”  

Robert gaped at her. “Why do you think I’m a Hungered?”

She gaped right back. “The rain doesn’t hurt you.” She pointed at his hair. “I don’t think I’ve seen wet hair on a normal person in a long time.”
Robert suddenly remembered that he didn’t need to wear a suit anymore.

“Lyssa, I don’t understand it either. I don’t get it. All I know is that I am most definitely NOT Hungered, and I am not going to hurt you.” He said, but Lyssa scoffed.

“Sure. Some guy with a sword isn’t going to hurt me. Like I believe that.”

Robert sighed, then looked at the handcar. He needed to get going. Yet, when he looked back at her, he knew he could not just leave her here on her own. She may be capable, but nobody could ever survive long on their own.

You need her, Mr. Thurman. Hunt said. She will be immeasurably important in our cause. Do not let her get away.

“Fine,” Robert and, surprisingly, Lyssa, said. They looked at each other, but said nothing. They stared for a little while, analyzing each other. Lyssa eventually broke the silence.
“I’ve decided that I want to join you.” She said stiffly.

“I’ve decided that you can.” Robert replied in the same tone.

They both nodded, and Robert dropped her machete. She picked it up and used it as a cane to stand. Robert grimaced.

“Although, I’m going to have to teach you a few things.”

Lyssa snorted. “In your dreams.”

For some reason, Robert thought he could hear Hunt laughing.


            *            *            *


This woman is impossible. Robert thought as he pumped the lever up and down, watching Lyssa doing the same thing. Why did I ever consider bringing her?

She had stubbornly insisted on helping him, even though Robert said he could do it. Now that it was raining, he didn’t feel tired at all. The rain was more than just refreshing; it was energizing. He could feel himself getting stronger.

Lyssa did not care. She just wanted to prove that she was a strong as he was; in fact, she had said it herself.

“I’m not the kind of girl who needs to be babied and looked after. I can hold my own, and if I’m going with you, I’m going to do my part.”

Robert had rolled his eyes when she said that, but then she hopped up onto the handcar and placed her hands on the bar. Robert was a bit shocked when she started it herself, and had to jog to catch up with the car and jump on before she got too far away. He thought he saw a smug smile on her face as he pulled himself up. Swearing under his breath, quickly grabbed the bar and set to work himself, not allowing Lyssa the barest hint of satisfaction. They had been like that for several hours, and they were losing daylight.

“We need to stop.” He shouted through the wind as they rocketed down the tracks. “We have to find some sort of shelter.”

“Oh come on, Mr. Macho. You aren’t admitting you’re tired, are you?” Lyssa sneered, but she started pumping less forcefully. Robert growled. Incorrigible. He thought. Absolutely incorrigible.

“Look, I was kidding.” Lyssa said, in a softer tone of voice. “I just don’t even know who you are, where I am, or what I’m supposed to do. I’m scared.”

Robert was stunned for a few seconds. He hadn’t been expecting this level of sensitivity from a woman who had tried to kill him. Certainly of the other ones were like this.

“It’s alright.” He said as they stopped. “I get it. I really do. Just, try not to be sarcastic all the time.” Lyssa actually smiled a little bit. Robert smiled slightly back.

Mr. Thurman, please do not get distracted. Though she is vital to our aims, she is not to be trifled with. Hunt warned.

Oh please. Robert scoffed. You’ve never even met her.

Hunt didn’t respond.

Robert rolled his eyes, grabbed his pack, and hopped off the cart. Lyssa gave him a sideways look.

“Where are you going?” She said.

“We can’t just stay here.” He said. “They don’t care about the cart, so they’ll leave it alone. But if we’re with it, out in the open? We’re both passable fighters, but I don’t want to take that chance.”

Lyssa sighed, grabbed her pack, and hopped off the cart, falling in step behind Robert.

“So, where are we going, smart guy?” She asked. “I hope you have a better plan than just abandoning our best shelter.”

“First off,” He replied, holding up a finger. “We are not abandoning it. We’ll come back to it in the morning. Second, it isn’t that the best shelter.” He pointed at a very large mound that had risen up in the middle of the field. “ That is.”

Robert watched Lyssa stare at the mound with scrutiny, and chuckled a little when she threw up her in arms in disgust.

“Don’t worry, little lady.” He said, taunting her in the same way she had to him. “There’s something there.”

Lyssa rolled her eyes and pushed past him., shaking her head.

“Hey, I am a lot of things.” He called after her. “But I am not a liar!”

She lifted her hand behind her and lifted her middle finger.

Interesting reaction. Hunt said seriously. But what does it mean?

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or just trying to mess with me even further. Robert said. Again, Hunt didn’t reply.

“Hey genius, I hope you aren’t the kind of guy who brags a lot.” Lyssa called from down the field.

“Why?” Robert called back, knowing her answer before she said it.

“Because you were right.” She said, pointing at the mound. Just as Robert had suspected, there was a cave in the side of the mound.

“How did you know?” Lyssa asked.

“Because I’ve been here before.” He said, walking towards the cave. “I recognized a couple of things, and I remembered that this was here.”

“Well well.” Lyssa said. “Maybe you are pretty smart after all.”

Robert rolled his eyes and entered the cave. Lyssa followed him after a few seconds.

The cave was dark, with a few echoing drips sounding from its depths. It was only a few paces wide, but enough space for a few people to walk side by side. Robert started, for a moment thinking he was back in the Gape. The darkness and the sounds were virtually the same.

“Hey, genius man. You want to get a fire going or what?” Lyssa asked, dumping her pack on the ground and raising her hands to her head. In one fluid motion she undid the seals on her mask and hood and pulled it off her head, letting her hair billow out and hang down. Her hair was the color of chocolate, and hung down her neck in smooth waves. Robert couldn’t help but stare for a few seconds, soaking in her beauty.

Stupid. He thought to himself, turning away and getting out his fire kit. Elaine just died. You’re pushing forty. In addition, she is the most difficult woman you’ve ever met! Keep it together, Thurman! He pulled out a couple of his moderate sized bags of dollar bills that he kept as emergency fuel. There was not any use for them anymore, not with the whole world in shambles, so mostly he raided bank vaults for fuel. No wood existed, so it was the best thing they had left.

In a few minutes he had a good sized little fire going, and he sat down against the cave wall to relax. Lyssa sat down on the wall next to him, her homemade watertight suit plopped next to her pack. Robert now got his first good look at her.

She had smooth olive skin, with a few scars trailing across her left shoulder. Her arms were lean, but with a good amount of muscle that showed she took care of her body. She wore a black tank top and a pair of navy jeans, worn and ripped from use. On her feet were a good pair of brown hiking boots modified to keep the rain out, which she promptly kicked off to reveal rough feet. She wore no socks.

“Don’t you get blisters in those things?” Robert said, nodding to her shoes.

“At the beginning I did, but I got callouses after a couple of months or so. After that, I just thought socks were a hindrance.” She laughed. Robert smiled, staring into the flames.

“You know, smart guy,” Lyssa said. “You never told me your name, and I can’t really go around calling you ‘smart guy’ and ‘genius’, now can I?”

“I guess not.” Robert chuckled. “My name is Thurman. Robert Thurman.”

She nodded without a response. They both stared into the crackling fire for a moment, listening to the storm outside. Lightning flashed, and thunder rumbled, and they still said nothing. Robert caught himself stealing glances at Lyssa every now and then, staring at her in the dim light. She never looked up, just stared longingly into the flames. Eventually Robert broke the silence.

“So, Lyssa,” He said slowly, and she looked up at him. “What’s your story? How’d you end up here?” She sighed, looking outside at the flashes of lightning. Robert wondered if he had touched a nerve.

“You know it started five years ago.” She said slowly, still not looking at him. “I was twenty-four then. I had just graduated from college in Ohio, and I was going to bust the world right open. That’s when it hit.” She paused, going back to gaze at the fire. Robert waited patiently, hoping she would open up some more.

“I was visiting my boyfriend in Atlanta when it happened for us. You guys from Detroit think that you were the only ones who got hit those first few days? Think again. That shint spread fast, man. Atlanta was covered in the stuff almost the next day after it turned bad in Detroit. You have no idea. I was walking my dog when it happened. It had been overcast all day, but only now did it start raining; but soon, it was pouring. That stuff was coming down in buckets. The only reason why I’m not a burnt out husk is because I was under a tree when the screams started. Even then, I got dumped on pretty good.” She lifted her tank top to her chest, and revealed ugly, mottled scarring on her stomach. Robert gasped. His hand looked relatively the same. Lyssa nodded, and let her shirt fall back into place.

“Yeah. I know how it feels. As I was screaming in pain under that tree, the rain started to let up. I was dang lucky that it didn’t rain much in those first days, since it took a while for that bacteria to suck up a lot of water. I hobbled back to my place, and I found my boyfriend and his parents-” Her voice broke. Robert could almost feel the emotion from her. After a moment, she continued in a husky voice.

“I still don’t understand what they were thinking. I mean, what kind of idiot goes swimming when it’s about to rain?”

Robert got up, walked over to her, and sat down next to the sobbing woman. She lay her head on his shoulder and cried.

She was still crying when his brain shut down for the night.


            *            *            *


Julius ran along the tracks in the darkness, the rain pouring down his cheek. He had been running for hours, never once needing to stop. The rain did that. It energized him, strengthened him, caused him to not tire. Julius didn’t know why, and Omnipotence did not feel like explaining it to him.

You don’t need to know right now, Julius. All your knowledge will come in time. He had said in his usual cryptic way. In his usual way Julius paid him no heed. He just continued walking as the rain followed him, revitalizing his tiring muscles.

The only thing that really scared Julius about the rain was that it had cured his burns. The day after he had spent the night meditating in the rain, he had flipped the switch that showed him his real body, to remind him why he was doing this. He had been floored when his body hadn’t changed.

And the pain was gone.

One of the many gifts I have given you, Julius. Omnipotence said as he ran. I can give you everything.

So do it. Julius said abruptly. Omnipotence laughed.

Isn’t there a saying your world: There is no such thing as a free lunch? The same is true.

What do you want? Julius asked, stopping and staring up at the sky, ignoring the rain that fell on his face. Lightning flashed above him, as if to answer.

Everything, Julius. I want everything. Omnipotence said, and then he was gone.

Julius growled, and began running alongside the tracks. Omnipotence never spoke clearly, and his riddles were incomprehensible themselves. It was like trying to read Shakespeare that was translated into Egyptian. Julius didn’t know anything.

And so he just kept running.


© 2014 CodyB


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on August 9, 2014
Last Updated on August 9, 2014

DisEase

1

By CodyB

2

By CodyB

3

By CodyB

4

By CodyB

5

By CodyB

6

By CodyB

7

By CodyB

8

By CodyB

9

By CodyB

10

By CodyB

11

By CodyB

12

By CodyB

13

By CodyB

14

By CodyB

15

By CodyB

16

By CodyB


Author

CodyB
CodyB

Gilbert, AZ



About
I'm an aspiring novelist of 18, and I'm hoping to get onto the NY Times Bestseller list before I'm thirty. On non-writing related notes, I'm a heavy fan of TCG's and LCG's, and I enjoy MOBA video game.. more..

Writing