three

three

A Chapter by coffeeoften

The sun beams shone bright the next morning through the thin dusty curtains and against my clenched eyelids. I groaned lazily pulling the covers over my throbbing head; my sleep had been far from restful, filled with troubled dreams and restlessness. I rolled over rubbing my eyes and peered across the empty room out the window at the shining sun hanging low in the skyline. I slipped my legs off the bed until my feet touched the cold wood floor and I stood tall arching my back in a wide stretch. I shuffled towards the muffled sounds in the kitchen and smiled shyly as I entered the room at Lucy sitting on the edge of the counter and Morgan lounging on the sofa in the living room.
“Morning!” Morgan said cheerfully and I joined him sitting on the edge of the couch.

We grazed small talk with ease, joking frequently and made and ate breakfast together. I dressed and readied myself for the day before Morgan took me out for a tour of the town. We spent the afternoon chatting and walking through town, Morgan taught me about the area and showed me different attractions. As we combed the streets a small boutique caught my eye, or more specifically the 'help wanted' sign in the window did. It was tucked in the corner of a small brick building along the street. The Victorian lettering in the window read 'Dreamcatcher' and dark lace curtains draped on either side. I motioned towards the sign optimistically and Morgan chuckled.
“Go for it!” He encouraged “I'll wait here, best of luck.” I smiled in return and took a nervous breath as I approached the door.
A small bell dinged its cheery welcome as I entered. The ceilings were high; the walls were lined with aged shelves and vintage clothing hung delicately from wire hangers. The deep purple walls and black tiled floor gave it a mystic look; the whole place had a great dreamy vibe that intrigued me. I approached the counter at the back where a young woman leaned over a pile of papers.
“Hey.” She greeted kindly and shot a short glance to me away from what she was doing. I smiled in return and stood like a goon in front of the desk. She peered up through her dark fringe questioningly and I shifted uncomfortably and cursed myself for being so awkward and never knowing what to say in social situations. “Did you need help with something?” she asked.
“I.. uh.. the sign out front?” I stammered pointing back in the direction I had walked in “The help wanted sign.. I'm- well, looking to help.” 
The woman stiffened a chuckle and extended her hand,
“I'm Cooper” 
“Raegan” I replied shaking her hand.
“I'm supposed to close up in about 15 minutes but how about I do it a bit early so we can squeeze in a little interview before I take off; that's if you have time right now?” 
“oh- uhm, yes of course!” I said taken aback by her abruptness. Cooper breezed across the store turning the lock and flipping the open sign around to the 'closed' side and returned beside me easing her body up to sit on the counter.

“The store closes at three?” I asked, noting the time on the wall clock.
“Today it does,” she replied nonchalantly “I have a daughter, and no sitter for this evening after she's off school.” She pointed to a picture of her and a little girl, no older than 3 or 4 sitting on the counter top by the cash register. “Which I suppose is why I need the help; the less I'm open the less money I'm bringing in for me and Ella.” I nodded and replied,
“She's adorable”
“She's pretty darling” Cooper cooed and paused for a moment entranced on the photograph before shaking her head and shifted her eyes back to me. “I'm not sure how much I could pay you, or how many hours I could give you.. I guess it depends on if people actually come in at night if I were to stay open”
“It's just you that works here then?” I questioned and she nodded
“It is, started the store a few years ago myself; it's not much but it's enough.” I traced my fingers over the glass encased vintage broaches which sat delicately under a thin layer of dust.
“It's lovely,” I replied softly, enchanted by the boutiques fragility and charm. “I could work anytime, as much as you need; I'm new to town.. I don't exactly have much else going on.” Cooper smiled sweetly and took a moment of consideration while she studied my face before she spoke next.
“I think I'll take a chance on you kid. You might just be a good fit.” Her voice was light and kind; it drew me towards her and her words filled my mind with excitement.
“That would be amazing!” I squeaked slightly, unable to hide my surprise. Cooper chuckled slightly and reached for a desktop calendar
“Welllll, I'm closed tomorrow, why not come in Monday morning? We can get you trained then.” 
I beamed with delight and replied
“That would be great! Thank you so much, so so much!” I shook her extended hand enthusiastically “I'll see you Monday then.” I said and turned towards the door.
“See you then!” She called as the bell chimed against the door and I reemerged onto the street, smiling wide.


“That went well then?” Morgan asked, noting my beaming expression.
“It definitely did!” I said excitedly “I start Monday!” 
“That's great!” He said surprised, straightening himself off the wall he had been leaning on. “Who could say no to you anyway?” He pulled me into a bear hug supportively burying my dweeby smile into his wrinkled coat. 

The next day when I awoke I found myself alone in the house. It was a little surreal, the whole situation, it all felt like a dream but I knew I wasn't sleeping. I found a calling card on the coffee table, my name neatly written on it- well 'Raegan' written on it. I stared at it for a long time before my nerves calmed enough for me to dial the phone. One ring. Two rings.
“Hello?” ... I pause, my mouth is open but words escape me.
“Helllllo?” He repeated.
“...Ashton” I croaked my voice cracked and a flood of emotions filled me.
“JAYDEN!” He exclaimed excitedly and I felt my heart skip a beat, it had been so long since I'd heard my own name, my real name. “Is that you?! Are you okay? Where are you?!” He asked frantically. I paused for a moment to gather myself before replying.
“I'm fine..” I spoke softly “Things are fine, I found a good place to live.. and a job..”
“That's great Jay,” His tone lowers and I can hear the shake in his voice “I've been so worried... Your mom called and asked about you.. I wanted to tell her where- but I didn't, I swear. I'm just so glad you're safe.” I couldn't lie, my mother asking about me came as a shock... I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that so I steered clear of it.
“I'm fine.” I repeated, maybe I was trying t convince myself.
“I'm glad.” He said, almost in a whisper and there was a moment of silence between us where I listened to his uneven breaths and I'm sure he awaited more of a response from me. “...I'm so sorry” He whimpered, I could hear the cry he was holding back in his voice, “None of this ever should have happened to you, I could have- no I should-”
This is not your fault. At all. It's okay, I'm okay.” I interrupted
“It's not okay.” I could tell he was hurting and it killed me I wished I was with him, but I wasn't, and I wasn't going to be. “When are you coming home?” He spoke with a pleading voice, and I didn't have an answer. “Please just come back..”
 Tears spilled from my eyes unwillingly and a few squealed sobs escaped me.
“I can't,” I cried “I can't, I can't” So I sat there, like that, crying away into the telephone, with nothing left to say and no strength to hold in my emotions and no reason to be strong because he was my strength. It stayed that way for a while, me sobbing and him shushing and comforting the best he could until the automated woman on the telephone informed me I had two minutes remaining. “I have to go,” I sniffed “I will call again when I am able, I promise.” I heard him begin to panic so I said again “I promise.” and he was quiet. “Thanks Ashton” I said and clicked the phone off. 

I paused for a long time not moving then picked up the phone once more and dialed. One ring. Two rings. Three rings. Four rings.
“Hello?” She said “Hello?!” She repeated with a slightly louder tone “Is there anyone there?... hello?” and the phone card ran out.


Steve was the first one home that day. I hadn't got much of a chance to interact with him so I thought I would take a stab at building a bridge there. The first while we talked was spent forcing subjects like the weather, local attractions, household stories but when he received a text and his face nearly dropped to the floor I felt compelled to ask.
“Things with Lucy... they aren't that great” He said sounding defeated. I gave him a questioning look and he continued, “I'm crazy about her, I completely am, but she doesn't always feel the same. She has a troubled past that isn't always completely behind her if you know what I mean. Old habits die hard.” I could see that he was hurt and a look of concern struck my face but I didn't know what to say... I knew it wasn't my business to ask specifics but it was hard to give any sort of advice of comfort with only a vague idea of the situation. The conversation was cut short however, when Everett bounced through the door. Steve shoved the phone back into his pocket and his concerned expression was replaced with a welcoming smile. 

We spent the evening playing cards, exchanging stories and laughing. Laughing. Just the three of us, like old friends. I didn't feel like an 18 year old girl, and they didn't feel like complete strangers and it was nice to allow my mind at ease and my heart to warm. After cards came stories and stories to popcorn and popcorn to movies and movies to a 3 person tangle on couch cushions infront of the television to which Morgan walked in on in the early hours of the morning, with alcohol on his breath and a stagger in his step. His tone was condescending as he spoke to us, but we didn't talk about that. Lucy didn't return home that evening, but we didn't talk about that either.
Morgan continued with his drunken ramblings and Steve somehow managed to sneak to his room without much notice. He spoke of clubs he had been to, people he had ran into and new one's he had met.
“Just adding a bit of new business.” He slurred and I wondered what he meant. “Even ran into that old fairy friend of yours Everett!” He exclaimed following with a deep rolling laugh. I could tell before that Everett had been getting annoyed but at that comment his jaw tensed significantly and his shoulders fell forward in a standoffish way.
“Go to bed Morgan,” He spat “you're drunk.” Morgan waved his hands in a mocking way and strolled sloppily down the hallway to the back bedroom. Everett sighed deeply and I kept my eyes on the floor to avoid the new tension that gripped the room. He must have noticed my shifting because he said quietly “He was an old flame of mine, the person Morg was referring too... Morgan has never exactly been cool with the homo, especially when he drinks..” He chuckled over the serious tone of the conversation.
“Oh!..” I stammered slightly taken aback “You're.. you're gay?” Everett looked the the floor and nodded and there was a moment where the streets sounds took control. “Well that's great!” I said “Nothing wrong with that, in fact I love the gays!” Everett looked up to me and smiled,
“You really have a way with words, don't you kid” He laughed nudging my side with his.
“I have been known to ooze the awkward.” I responded and we laughed to kill the silence. I slept in Everett's room that night.



© 2014 coffeeoften


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are a master of imagery! The description of the Dreamcatcher was so thorough, I could honestly picture it in my mind.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 28, 2012
Last Updated on January 27, 2014


Author

coffeeoften
coffeeoften

Nova Scotia, Canada



About
I'm Bri; 20/Canadian I'm not very fancy; I'm just looking for a more productive way to spend my days than re-watching all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. ++ Simplicity, cats, guitar, natur.. more..

Writing