Time

Time

A Story by Slim Pikkens

There are instances in life that you wish you could hit a pause button. 
Whether that be for the sake of enjoyment, to be able to drink in every small detail of that lovely summer afternoon you spent in the quiet of a garden. For the sake of engraving something to memory.
 
Or that to shield yourself. To hide from the hideousness of pain, loss and suffering. You may wish, at that time, that you could find that elusive and all-powerful remote to pause, maybe even fast forward through a time like this.
 Has it not been in the hearts of us, the common people, long enough for books, movies, T.V. shows and articles to be written of that impossible "What If..." subject? How we wish we could last long as time itself.
Perhaps we do submit to that fantasy in the dark hours of morning, before we awaken to reality. In this slumber, where anything is possible, we may actually grab hold of this device, and use it to revisit pleasant memories. And if we're tempted enough, to fast-forward to that enigmatic time in our lives which we call the future. And the "What if's" continue to grow.
But, for the moment, let us return to the present. Yes, now, when we have no absolute control of the future, or the past. This moment that flits away instantly and is replaced by a frame of time from the future, which now, of course, is occupying the present, only to expire in the past. How badly we wish to reach out, grasp it firmly. Forcing this thing, this mysterious thing, which we encompass our entire lives around, and look at it for a while. Maybe speak to it, stroke it, as if it were some strange and flighty rare bird in our clutches, and ponder the stuff with which it is made of. 
Then of course, when we do strive to catch this thing we call time, it no sooner comes than leaves, and our efforts to capture it were no more successful than our attempts to catch the wind, that is, if ever you tried such a silly feat. 
The subject, so vast, profound and common in our midst, could potentially be discussed ad nauseum. This, of course, would be a waste of that precious commodity, since we have no mastery over it. 
All we can do is simply utilize it. Spend it wisely, like the rest of our resources. Our love, our attention, money, beauty, fame, none are so valued as our time. Since it is, after all, our most precious gift.
Will you spend it wisely?

© 2012 Slim Pikkens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Slim !!! What a surprise to see you here today !! Now I know why it took you so long to come around again. A great piece ! I like this one very much.. and its very true. I personally never have enough time. Write more Please !!!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
1 Review
Added on May 10, 2012
Last Updated on May 10, 2012