"Ignorance is Bliss" -Thomas Gray

"Ignorance is Bliss" -Thomas Gray

A Chapter by Collyn

Thomas Gray says in his poem Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College, "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." Ignorant people are people who do not open their minds to thoughts other than their own, small, happy thoughts. The true definition of ignorance is: "Lacking knowledge or awareness in general: uneducated or unsophisticated." Ignorance is a gift. It saves you the pain of thinking about the terrors of the unknown; of what is beyond death and what reality truly is. The root word of ignorant is ignore. Ignorant people ignore the burdens of ideas that the philosophers challenge out of their own curiosity and need for answers. 
I, myself, am ignorant. I may be ignoring a thought or being unaware of it. That is what some of Socrates' philosophies were; that we are all ignorant and without wisdom. We are all stupid and limited. What makes a person wise is knowing that he is not wise. 


© 2015 Collyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting philosophy, I eagerly await more instalments!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 31, 2015
Last Updated on October 31, 2015


Author

Collyn
Collyn

CO



About
I love writing poems and short stories. Philosophy is by far my favorite thing to write about. I have an innate appreciation for the arts and beauty. I struggle with anxiety and do my best to explain .. more..

Writing
A Person A Person

A Poem by Collyn


Uncertainty Uncertainty

A Poem by Collyn


You'll Break You'll Break

A Poem by Collyn