The Meeting

The Meeting

A Story by Luke
"

Two lovers meet after months of online interaction.

"

As I walk in the door of the book store, I briefly check my reflection one last time in the door window.  It’s not nerves that drives this newfound mini-obsession with my looks, rather a desire for this to be perfect, for this night to be everything you deserve, for me to be everything you deserve.  Hell, maybe it IS nerves.


As I walk in, I know right where to find you.  We didn’t plan the details like this, but where else could you be?  I pass the popular novels on display, pass the romance novels, pass the children’s section.  I pass the biographies, I even pass the literature.  You could be there, but I know you’re not, any other day it would make sense but not on this day.  No not today, today on the first day I truly meet you, I know exactly where you’ll be, so I pass the literature section and head straight for the History section.

I passed only two customers on my way to this section in the back of the store, and as I expect the history section appears just as barren as the rest of the place.  I can’t see anyone here, but that’s okay I know where you are, and I shouldn’t be able to see you from here.  I pass the first shelf A-D, that’s not where you are though, you wouldn’t be there.  I wonder what you’re thinking right now, I wonder what your eyes will say to me when they are first laid on me here, in real life.  E-H, would they show disappointment?  Would I be all you expected?  I-L, would they search for a fast exit, for a reason to cut this night short before it begins?  M-P, no, that’s not how it will go, I may not know a lot in this world but as I pass Q-V I know that.

Just as I turn the corner of the last aisle you must hear me coming.  You’re crouching right where I thought you’d be; in front of the “W” section.  You stand and turn simultaneously, turning those soft brown eyes that I’ve seen in so many pictures, through so many cameras towards me, in the flesh standing there before you for the first time.  So often when you meet someone your eyes start at their feet, moving up their body and settling on their face to fully size each other up-but not us. From the instant you turn in my direction, our eyes are locked on each other, staring deep into each other's souls, communicating on a level we haven't yet experienced.

For several seconds we both stand there in silence, our eyes saying all that needs to be said.  Finally you break the silence; “It’s you” you say simply, seemingly at a loss for words.

“After all this time, it’s you too” I softly reply.

Without another word we move towards each other.  It’s funny because I’ve imagined this moment dozens-maybe hundreds-of times, even just on the ride here.  Every single time I imagined it there was fumbling, some awkwardness, we didn’t know quite how to greet one another.  But not in real life.  In real life, the moment we laid eyes on one another we knew exactly what to do, we knew exactly where we belong, and so we go there; to each other’s arms.


We proceed in mirrored motion, each taking two steps to cover the distance between us.  Our first step is slower than the second, not quite so slow as to call it cautious or hesitant, but just slower than the second enough to notice.  Any apprehension either of us carried to that moment completely dissipates with the second step, as our excitement takes control.  Eyes still locked, not having moved since I made that final turn around the end of the aisle, a smile begins to spread across both our faces as we’re about to meet.


Our arms encircle one another as our two bodies merge, unifying us in an embrace we know we’ll never truly let go.  As I wrap my arms around you I sweep you off your feet, and without a second thought our lips touch, sending waves of electricity as the energy of this perfect union courses throughout our bodies, instantly and magically liberating our spirits of any burdens we carried before we arrived here.


As your feet touch the ground again, we both open our eyes and begin to take in the wonder of the moment we’ve just shared.  We both know this is just the beginning, we both know this marks a moment of change in both our lives.  We don’t ruin it with words, we’ve had enough of those.  We simply turn, your hand in mine, my hand in yours, and walk side by side out the door, better for having come here, better for having met, and certainly better for leaving together.

© 2013 Luke


Author's Note

Luke
As with all my writing, your thoughts would be wonderful.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow for a second i actually thought the speaker was looking for me =)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2013
Last Updated on February 7, 2013
Tags: romance, love

Author

Luke
Luke

Providence, RI



About
Wow, it's been a seriously long time since I've been on here. I signed up for this site 4 or 5 years ago intending to use it regularly, used it for about a week, then didn't look at it again, lol. I.. more..

Writing
Letter to My Son Letter to My Son

A Story by Luke


The First Time The First Time

A Poem by Luke


The Walk The Walk

A Poem by Luke