Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Letter to My Son

Letter to My Son

A Story by Luke
"

Words of advice for the next generation

"
Over my years I've been a good many places and learned a good many lessons. I hope to pass some of those along to my son. With the hope that my words of advice live longer than I do, I have written this letter to him, from me in the present to him in the future regarding things I’ve learned in the past:

Son,

As you are falling asleep in the next room, I write this letter hoping to reach out to you, and feed you from the fruits of the labors of my lifetime. To lend you guidance where spoken word or action may lack it in person. I hope my words of advice live beyond me, and that you add to them your own, and pass them on to your son. Here's some of what I've learned:

Life is hard. It's infinitely harder if you insist on learning every lesson the hard way, as I often have. I hope the lessons of my life can help you to avoid some hardships in yours. Don’t take people’s word for “it”, but don’t feel like you always have to learn the hard way either. Sometimes a good combination of life experience, listening, and applying some common sense can save a great deal of pain and suffering for not just you but everyone involved.

Focus on the things that make you happy. Enjoy the positives of your life, not the negatives of someone else's. Treat people with kindness and respect and they’ll return the favor.

This planet we find ourselves on is beautiful. Respect it, it’s not yours to destroy.

Don't sweat the small stuff. But remember-small things add up. Learn early when to draw the line, what you can live with letting go and when you need to stand up and fight for or against something. And don’t be afraid to do that.

Listen. The only thing you can hear when you’re talking are things you already know. The more you listen, the more you learn, and the more you learn the more you know, and the more you know, the more you realize you should be listening more because you don't really know anything.

Don't let the crowd drown out your voice. Speak up, but only speak when necessary. Don’t waste words, they are a valuable thing that can be used for both good and bad, and can often be more powerful than any gun or weapon. Use them effectively, use them with purpose, use them wisely, but most importantly use them responsibly and respectfully.

Life IS short, but it’s also the longest thing you’ll ever do. Live like there’s no tomorrow, but plan just in case you wake up tomorrow and find out there is. Don’t live in fear of the consequences, but maintain a healthy respect for the fact that in this life for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, and whether you’re ready for it or not, it’s still coming so you might as well be ready.

These are my words of advice, to my son and future generations. Take them as you will, add to them, and pass them along to your children.

© 2013 Luke


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on June 15, 2013

Author

Luke
Luke

Providence, RI



About
Wow, it's been a seriously long time since I've been on here. I signed up for this site 4 or 5 years ago intending to use it regularly, used it for about a week, then didn't look at it again, lol. I.. more..

Writing
The First Time The First Time

A Poem by Luke


The Meeting The Meeting

A Story by Luke


The Walk The Walk

A Poem by Luke