Chapter 1 - Introduction

Chapter 1 - Introduction

A Chapter by Judy Fitzpatrick
"

an introduction to theorehtical time travel, a project i began in 2007.

"

TIMETRAVEL

is it possible to go back and forth through past and future? once you go to any other time apart from your own no time is really your own any more. Every time is past and future, present no longer exists for the traveler.                         

I guess the present is whatever time you're in. There's another thought though: if you go through time do age normally or do you just stay whom you were when you left? And since time is as real as other dimensions isn't it impossible to see an exact future? Cause if you back even a day before you might change it because what you know. Even if you think you don't. One word could have change on everything or nothing at all.   

If you think about more it might not change any thing because what you learn from the future you might use to go back and try to change things just to find that your the reason it ended up the way it did.                

Also present is just wherever you are at the time. Past and Future are only relevant if it's a time you're not in. ALL of time is then your own; you no longer have a set amount of years. Like, the time that you live in right now, 2007, well, isn't 2008 the future for you? But for someone in 2009, 2008 is the past for him or her.

Now the grandfather paradox states that if a man were to travel back in time and kill his grandfather before his father was conceived, then he (the traveler) would never be born. However if he was never born the he never would have come back to kill his grandfather and he then would eventually still be born and come back to kill his grand father making these events be impossible. Thus the paradox.

On the other hand in the belief that every decision creates an alternate reality, if the man went back and killed his grandfather and did so it would create an alternate reality in which he and his father are never born. However in his reality the future would be the same as the alternate world with out him being born but he would still exist physically; everything that had happened to him never would have happened and no one had known would have known him. so even if he went back to his own time period, he would not be on any birth records nor would any being no who he was. Therefore making the grandfather paradox a possibility not a paradox.                        

A great scientist from the 1900's once stated that he did not believe in possibility of time travel because of lack of tourists from the future. It is actually impossible to tell if someone is from the future because they would be doing so in secret. So we would never know that they were here.



© 2009 Judy Fitzpatrick


Author's Note

Judy Fitzpatrick
grammar mistakes i know, and if you find any errors in my philosophy, let me know please id love to hear our thoughts on it. also this was written in 2007, so ignore the who, 2007 as the pressent in the introduction.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

If you were to commit the perfect murder, would you go backwards or forward in time?

You seem interested in that sort of thing, so I figured I would ask.

I know where there may be some time travelers locally if you're interested in talking to them.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I just want to say I LOVE time travel theories. And I don't have a life so I can spend hours reading about time travel and think about the different possibilities. There were problems in my opinion, with what you said. Here is my opinion.

Paragraph one:
You ask if it's possible to "go back and forth through past and future?" as you live you are traveling into the future thru the present. (And one could argue that memories allow you to travel backward, if and only if you believe that the present cannot be changed)

Paragraph two:
You ask "if you go through time do age normally or do you just stay whom you were when you left?" it depends on how you travel through time... if you "jump" or "teleport" through time then you would not age or change. however if you travel through time, even if it is faster or slower than time that travels for everyone else, you would get older if you went forward and younger if you went backward.

Paragraph three:
I subscribe to the theory that you cannot change time. It is a little hard to explain with words but I will try. First I want to say I do not believe in luck or chance, I believe in God. I also believe that everything happens on purpose even if there were no God. Here is why I believe this: Only two things influence the world we live in, Inanimate and animate objects.
Inanimate objects must obey the laws of physics completely
Animate objects are incapable of doing anything without a reason, even if the reason is: there is no reason to do it. So humans and animals must have reason before they do something.
Humans and animals are the only variable (changing/unpredictable) part of "chance" but it isn't chance if it has a reason behind it. And the results can theoretically, be predicted.
Therefore I believe everything is predestined, and if everything is predestined then even if you travel through time you cannot change time.

Paragraph six:
I am aware of the alternate reality theory, but there would still be one reality where the paradox would exist. If in one reality he goes back in time and kills his grandfather then in that reality we have the paradox. If in a second reality he goes back in time and kills his grandfather we still have the paradox. If however in a third reality he doesn't kill his grandfather then there is no problem. No matter the conditions the grandfather paradox is still applies and is still a paradox.

Paragraph seven:
If I went back in time I would cause a huge ruckus. I would tell everyone I was from the future, why would I keep it a secret (unless there were "time-travel police" like in Hollywood).

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 21, 2009


Author

Judy Fitzpatrick
Judy Fitzpatrick

Any where but here



Writing