Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by theHobbit
"

Ann starts to see the effect of her lie on her Dad. Although she wonders if it's necessarily a bad thing.

"

Chapter 4

After talking to Dad for what seemed like hours I finally went back to my room. As I power up the computer I throw myself face first onto my bed. The wheezing sounds coming from the computer were therapeutic in their own way. My heartbeat slows down a little bit and I wonder, what's going to happen this weekend? I'm I going to have to lie and just wander around town for a few hours? If so how long am I willing to let this charade continue? I heave myself up from the comforts of my bed and sit down at my desk to see what assignments my teachers gave me. After pawing through my emails I decide to start with my English paper about science fiction's effects on a child's life. I have worked for hours pushing through subject after subject until finally it's 11:00pm and I feel the stress slide off my shoulders. As I go through my email and various social media accounts I stumble across a new email from earlier in the day. And of course, it's from Damien.


No worries :) oh by the way I think that you dropped one of your books when we ran into each other. I'll get it to ya tomorrow!


I quickly search through my book bag, and sure enough, my book Lord of the Flies is missing. I slide my hands down my face and groan. I was supposed to finish two chapters of the book before tomorrow. I spend only half an hour longer online before I close everything down and get ready for bed. I'm not even going to respond to him.


Standing in front of the bathroom mirror and swinging my hips while listening to my music on shuffle. I look at my reflection, my full cheeks that are rosy from singing and dancing and my light blue (borderline gray) eyes stare back at me, sparkling. I braid my hair into a simple plait, the loose hairs framing my face perfectly. A smile tugs on my lips as my favorite song starts playing, Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay. I turn off the light switch and take my phone as I go to my room. I turn down my music just enough to hear the melody as I pull the covers of my bed back, I plug in my phone, turn off the lights, and then I crawl under the covers and drift off to sleep.


I jolt awake to the sound of my alarm screaming. The sun isn't even up yet, my room seems hazy with the colors blending together and the only light is coming from my phone. I yawn as I slowly but surely wake up. I roll onto the floor and just sit there.

“Okay, okay that's quite enough, it's time to get up.” I whisper groggily to myself as I get ready for the rest of the day.


“Hey, Dad! Could you give me a ride?” I shout down the hall in the direction of his room. But to my surprise when he answers it sounds like he's in the living room. When I turn around the corner, I see him sitting down on the couch with his legs crossed and reading a book. He's outside of his office not on the computer. I try to mask my surprise as I talk to him,

“Dad?”

“Yeah? You took a while to get ready, slowpoke.” he smiles at his attempt at mockery. “Could you get me some coffee, kiddo? Oh, and if you want a ride you'll have to be ready to go in about...” he squints his eyes and glances at the clock hanging on the wall, “...15 minutes.” he glances at my disheveled figure.

“Uh...yeah yeah okay. Get your own coffee, though” I say over my shoulder as I turn to gather my school bag and books.


When we're driving down the road to get to Enreald's Dad turns to the right instead of to the left towards the school.

“Dad, it's the other way. You silly goose I'm going to be late.” I say lightly and with a smile on my face to show I meant it only as a joke.

“That's why we left a little early. Ann, we're stopping for coffee or tea, whichever you want.” Now I'm suspicious. The ride, he takes a break from work today, and now the coffee ? He hasn't been this functional or carefree since...well since Mom left.

“Sounds fun!” I say as we grin at each other and the corner of his eyes crinkle as he laughs.

“Us against the world, Ann!” he says as his eyes focus back on the road but his smile never falters.







© 2017 theHobbit


Author's Note

theHobbit
Hey so this chapter is really short but I'll have Chapter 5 done a lot sooner. I'm sorry about all of the grammar mistakes. I'm really excited to hear what you all have to say!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on January 23, 2017
Last Updated on January 24, 2017
Tags: #realistic fiction, #family, #the story of ann, #home, #lies, #fiction, #teen, #independence


Author

theHobbit
theHobbit

About
I'm a starting out writer and I really enjoy to hear any and all feedback so that I can grow and improve. I write poems and realistic fiction and I hope that you like it!!! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by theHobbit


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by theHobbit


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by theHobbit