Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Crazy Redd
"

This is where Vance discovers his powers, and sets off for school.

"

Chapter 3

Vance awoke the next afternoon after passing out in an uncomfortable position on a chair in Felix’s hospital room.  He glanced around the room to see Felix lying on the bed in front of him, and everything else seemed to blend in with the white walls.  Though he was relieved Felix was still around, the pain of losing his only father he knew seemed to stab him each second of the day.  He wasn’t actually sure that he was gone, only that something left him that day.  He felt sorrow for not taking his father with him and Felix. 

Vance looked down at the white floor and sighed.  The survivor’s guilt seemed to grip him.  If he only took Jeff with him, he could be with them right now.  However, somewhere deep inside, he knew he wouldn’t have been able to carry them both, and Felix wouldn’t be alive if he tried to save them both.  He had decided to take the one he knew was alive and young than the older one, whom he didn’t know was alive anymore, and now he was regretting it.  He knew that he couldn’t have changed it. 

After a second, a knock came from the door.  Vance looked up at the white door with a thin black frame, and slowly rose to answer it.  He turned the knob and looked at the visitor.  A tall man with light brown hair was standing in front of Vance, but something seemed different.  Vance literally could see right through him as though he was a ghost.  Vance backed up a few steps, frightened at the sight.  The man stepped into the hospital room, and looked around.

“Greetings Vance Blake,” the man said, “We are happy to inform you, that you have been accepted to The Magnis Academy, on the island of Angelus. Please ask any questions to me.  Do not be afraid, Vance, I am merely a hologram projected by the council of Angelus.”  Vance was taken aback by the abruptness of the man, or hologram.

“Y-you’re a hologram?  H-How?” Vance asked frightened, hoping Felix didn’t wake, because it would shock him more than it did Vance and Felix didn’t need that kind of stress or surprise.

“Magic, of course,” the hologram said in a matter-of-factly tone, “32 years ago Jonathan Steward founded the first academy of magic, The Magnis Academy, and sent holograms such as me, to greet new future students, and answer any questions they have.  I am usually reserved for children of those who attended Magnis before, however this is a special case.”

“Wait, magic?  Is this a joke?” Vance said disbelievingly.  Magic was just a myth, it couldn’t be true, or was it?  He shook his head, not going to believe this.  If magic was real, he could’ve saved his father, he could have prevented the phenomenon that took Jeff away from him.  He wasn’t about to believe in magic just because of some stupid hologram.

“It is not a joke.  As proof hold out your right arm, and say the word Lucis,” the hologram said demonstrating holding his arm out. 

“Fine, I guess.  Doubt anything’ll happen though,” Vance said holding his right arm out, “Lucis.”  To Vance’s surprise, a small ball of light appeared floating right above his hand.  It was like a small white tennis ball that he held.  He waved his hand through the air, but the ball stayed with his hand.

“What the-“Vance said perplexed.  What was going on?   This couldn’t be true; it wasn’t true, he wouldn’t believe it.  He completely was bewildered by this anomaly, this unbelievable circumstance, almost like the unexplained explosion of his house. 

“You see, your power has flourished within yourself, you are one of us, a Magnin,” hologram said, “It is dangerous to leave it untrained, we wish that you train at the Magnis Academy.”

Vance stared at the hologram, still not believing that this was real.  He thought it could be a dream, but it felt too real to be a dream.  Vance glanced towards Felix, feeling as though he had an obligation to fulfill.

“How do I make this go away?” Vance said looking at the ball of light not going away starting to feel a bit achy again.

“Simply say Atrum,” the hologram replied plainly, “Will you join our community?”

“Atrum,” Vance said feeling that it wouldn’t work, but the ball disappeared.  He clenched his hand into a fist, and didn’t feel any different.  It was amazing.  He knew he was going to play with this trick until he figured it out.  Vance spoke once more. 

“What about my brother?  He needs me,” Vance said, worrying about Felix.

“I will restore his heath, his legs and make him all better as long as you come to Angelus,” the hologram said reasonably, “Otherwise he will die from the injuries.  We have already checked on your father, Jeffery Martin.  There was nothing we could do, he was already dead.”  His father… Jeff Martin, the man who raised him for as long as he could remember.  It was the truth yet Vance did not want to accept it.  He knew that news of Jeff’s death would come at some point.  There was no way that Jeff had survived, yet Vance wanted to keep believing there was some small chance that his father, adoptive one at least, was still alive waiting for him. 

Vance looked over at Felix and sighed.  This was a way for him to make sure Felix survived, but he was not sure.  It was then, in his doubt, that Felix’s body suddenly looked like it did before the explosion at his house, in perfect condition.  That would mean that he could be that professional Quarterback he wanted to be, but if Vance did not comply… then he might not be able to play ever again, or maybe even live past a few days.

“How and when would I get there?” Vance asked deciding in that instant, trying not to convince himself out of it.

“A plane will leave from the Magnis airport, tomorrow at noon.  If you do not make it, there will be no way to get to Angelus, until a year later and your brother will die.  You may only return on June 30th, and then you must come back on the following school year.  We will supply housing and food, for you and your brother, though your brother may not come.  We will keep him healthy and alive, as long as you attend Magnis,” the hologram said.  Vance nodded stiffly, not wanting to leave, but wanted to insure Felix’s safety.  The hologram smiled.  “Good.  Say your good-byes.”  Vance nodded once more, before the hologram simply disappeared.  It seemed almost instantly after that when Vance heard something stirring on his brother’s bed. 

 “How are you feeling Felix?” Vance said smiling as his brother awoke.

“A little stiff, but the pain’s gone,” Felix said lifting his head only slightly. 

“Good, they were able to give you back the use of your legs, and you’re like completely healed right now,” Vance said happily, but then he became sad, “I’m going to have to go away for a while, to this school.  It starts tomorrow, and I won’t come back until July.  But they said you would be kept healthy and our house repaired.  They’ll take care of you as long as I attend.”

“Aw, it’s fine bro.  I understand, but how did they heal me so fast, it’s only a day after your birthday, usually it takes a lot longer, unless I’m wrong about the date,” Felix asked curiously.  Vance knew this was going to come, but he decided to skate over the details, not tell the whole truth.

“I don’t know, they must be magical or something,” Vance said smiling once more, happy his brother was happy for him finding a school. 

“I doubt they were magical, but I guess they must have developed some sort of super-fast regrower serum or something,” Felix said grinning, “Well, bro, you know that tomorrow’s the 23rd right? You better pack…”  He trailed off, remembering that the house blew up. 

“It’s ok Felix; the house should be fixed up when you check out.  I bet they’ll keep you for a while, to make sure you’re all good and all,” Vance said smiling widely, happy that Felix was all right.  He was willing to do pretty much anything to help Felix out, and going to this school would help him.  Anyways it sounded like fun either way, learning magic, and going to school.  He could have friends, and maybe he would finally have a life. 

 

 

Vance walked down to the cafeteria of the hospital to grab some food to eat.  He was thinking about how Magnis Academy was going to be like.  Vance wasn’t sure if he really should go, but saw no real downfalls.  He would go to school, learn magic, and help Felix out, even if he was extremely sad about leaving Felix alone.  He grabbed his food, a light brown blob, which did not look appetizing to Vance.  He poked the substance when he sat down, but didn’t eat it.  Across the room, a familiar face peered at him.  Where had he seen the man who was peering at him before?  Wasn’t that Bertram?  No, it couldn’t be… or was it?

Vance looked up at Bertram, and was curious; what was he doing here?  Before he could get up to ask, Bertram seemed to be there no longer.  He looked at the table again, and there he was.  Completely dumbfounded, Vance threw his food away, without eating any part of it, and walked over to the table where Bertram seemed to disappear. 

“B?” A voice from behind him sounded in a familiar scratchy voice.

“Bertram?  What are you still doing here?  And how’d you know it was me?” Vance said spinning on the spot.  Bertram with his wild brown hair and white eyes stood there with a grin on his face.

“Yep that’s me B,” Bertram said, “I have heightened senses since I can’t see, your footsteps sound different than anybody else’s; everyone has unique steps.”

“You’re still avoiding a question, why are you here?” Vance persisted trying to keep a positive attitude about Bertram.

“Fine,” Bertram sighed, “I am here to watch you, keep an eye out, and protect you.”

“P-protect me?” Vance said confused, “Are you a Magnin or something?”  Vance really hoped he was mostly because he didn’t know how to explain his question if Bertram wasn’t.

“Yep, and a teacher at the school.  You see, you need protection, because your parents were the leaders of an evil group called the Resistance.  They killed our founder eleven years ago and were killed ‘cause of it.  The Resistance wants you, the flesh and bone of their old leaders, to help them out.  We’ve crushed them, and they are desperate to have some rejuvenating of their cause,” Bertram explained, though he didn’t convince Vance very much.  He didn’t know what to make of this, because Vance really wanted to think that his parents were good and not at all evil, but he didn’t know.  Everything was happening too fast, but there was something inside of him that made him want to trust Bertram.  He decided to pretend to ignore the fact that this Resistance wanted him. 

“So you’re a teacher at The Magnin Academy?” Vance asked  suddenly getting the feeling that all of this seemed so surreal, but found it hard to disprove it, especially with how that hologram ghost had healed his brother and how he conjured a ball of light with a single word.

“Yep said so didn’t I?” Bertram said, “Teach Magnin Specials.  Spells and everything.  So now on, B, you need to call me Mr. Vengence, hear?”

“I hear you loud and clear sir,” Vance said faking a smile, “If you knew my parents and my name, why do you keep calling me B?”

“Just ‘cause I feel like it B,” Bertram chuckled, “Now, I need to get some rest, get back into your room, B.  Be with your brother as long as you can, you might not see him much more after you leave.  See you tomorrow on the plane!”  It all seemed so sudden.  Nothing Bertram had said had settled in yet, and then he was gone almost instantly.  Vance decided he would just think it over in the hospital room. 

Vance walked up the stairs to Felix’s room.  He sat down in his normal chair, seeing as Felix was sleeping right now.  He thought aloud as he began to debate whom he was going to believe.

“My parents, they said they gave their lives for me, but Bertram says they killed a man and died for it.  Both stories make sense, but who do I trust?” Vance thought aloud, “I don’t know anyone giving their lives for someone, except in books and on TV, but never in real life.  I do not know.  I want to believe my father’s journal, but I have a good feeling about Bertram, and I want to believe him too.  Why did it have to suddenly become so complicated?”  Before he knew it, Vance’s words stopped and turned into only thoughts.  In the silence, Vance slowly nodded off to sleep.

A large wooden desk sat in front of him, and he saw a good dozen people begin to file out of the room.  It seemed so real, more real than any dream he had ever experienced in his life before.  A tall man, whom Vance recognized as Julius from his picture of his parents had stayed behind not filing out of the room. 

“How’s our little project going?” Vance asked once all of the people were gone, and his voice didn’t seem to be like his normal voice, but much lower and raspier.

“Working real well,” Julius said in a voice much like Vance usually sounded, though a bit lower.

“Good, glad my part’s over. It’s drained most of my Tokine powers.  They aren’t working as well as they usually do… how’s Damien fairing?” Vance replied adverting from the topic of these powers in a worn voice and seeming much older than he thought whomever’s place he was in had been.

“He’s still upset, sorry Johnny, can’t seem to stop him this time.  I don’t think my boys can hold back much more,” Julius said looking down kicking his feet only slightly.

“I’m sorry to hear that.  There’s no redeeming him I take it?” Vance asked.  Suddenly he heard the door open.  It was a blonde haired hazel-eyed woman, whom looked like his mother from the picture.

“Glad you could make it Lianna,” Vance quickly said greeting the woman, whom Julius kissed on the cheek and wrapped his arm around her middle.

“Glad to be here, please just go on,” Lianna replied smiling softly looking up lovingly at Julius.

“No unfortunately not,” Julius responded frowning continuing the conversation.

“I wish it could be another way.  Very well, carry out the plan,” Vance said emotionless, though he felt a horrible stab of pain in his heart, as if his heart had just broken.  It was instantly that he saw a flash of light and pain beyond imaginable coursed through his body.  He saw was Julius running towards him and holding his head up, looking worried before everything went black.

Suddenly, he had drained back into the hospital room.  Everything seemed the same as when he left it, when he had gone to sleep.  Vance was shook by this odd dream.  He looked out the window, and the sun was rising from the horizon.  He must have slept through the night.  Vance walked over by Felix and shook him awake.

“Felix, wake up!” Vance said playfully, “Come on bro, I have to leave soon!”  Felix opened an eye and smiled.

“Vance, how yah doing bro?” Felix said seeming almost like his old self, though Vance could sense the sorrow of the news of their father was getting to him, “You ready for that academy you found?”

“Yeah, I can’t wait.  We’re even taking a plane over there.  I just wish you could come, Felix,” Vance replied trying to sound excited for Felix.

“Me too, me too,” Felix sighed giving up almost all resistance to the sadden mood he was feeling, “You better get going Vance, don’t want to be late do yah?”

“Ok, I guess this is good-bye?” Vance croaked sadly.

“Good-bye bro,” Felix waved as Vance slowly made it to the door.

“Stay out of trouble Felix,” Vance said and he walked through the door with a deep pit in his stomach telling him he would never see Felix again, but Vance knew that he could come home next summer.  Vance walked out the entrance and looked around the busy streets for any sign of how to get to Magnis Airport, by noon.



© 2012 Crazy Redd


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on May 19, 2012
Last Updated on May 19, 2012


Author

Crazy Redd
Crazy Redd

TX



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Crazy Redd


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Crazy Redd


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Crazy Redd