the lobotomy shop

the lobotomy shop

A Story by Priya
"

A receptionist at the lobotomy shop entertains an interested customer in the not too distant future.

"

Welcome to the lobotomy shop!
How can I be of assistance, Sir?


Yes, of course, I will be happy to explain to you our services! Please follow me.

 

This is our boutique. Here you can rest while I show  you a holographic presentation of our premium services. Oh, you've seen them already, Sir? How nice. Do you have any queries regarding anything we do here? I'll be glad to help.

 

Yes, Sir, and don't worry, that's a perfectly logical question. We at the lobotomy shop aim to help people experience their true selves. We aim to liberate you from all unneeded conscious interferences in everyday life. Why should you think about every single thing you do while your brain gives you its assessment automatically? Why should we think about the things we want to do? Why don't we disinhibit ourselves?

 

No Sir. I'm sorry, but I think you might have misjudged the situation. We do not allow your sub conscious to take you as a hostage. We merely allow it to control your activities.

 

Haha, yes Sir, I understand it seems similar to modern day governments. But governments, as always, never do any job well. We assure you we will eliminate all and any thoughts you might have. I believe we have more approximations with the media than the governments in that regard.

 

That is a most important question, Sir. We differ from the media in that we do not sell your mind to other people. We merely sell it to yourself. I know it sounds confusing, but believe me,  your conscious thought- free self understands what I'm saying.

 

We offer many different services depending on your needs, Sir. The regular lobotomy removes just a part of your frontal lobe, ensuring that you lose any unwanted projections of your conscious self on your persona. The deluxe lobotomy removes part of your frontal lobe along with a part of your hypothalamus, ensuring you lose most of your unneeded personality, enjoying a refreshing sense of new found freedom. Our Lobotomy Grand TM, the pinnacle of all such technology available in the market removes all personality defining areas from your brain, ensuring your sub  conscious is in total control. You will feel invincible.

 

Yes, all procedures are risk free. We even take a backup of your brain, should you ever reconsider your decision. Yes, ironical, considering that you'll not be able to think reasonably afterwards. But you will be pleased to know, Sir, that we have never had an unsatisfied customer thus far.

 

Yes, all versions are upgradable if you so want, Sir.

The Deluxe version? Very well, Sir. That will cost you two litres of water. May I inform you that we also offer a special subsidy on the Lobotomy Grand for committed customers? Oh, you are satisfied with the Deluxe? Very well, Sir.

 

No special instructions, Sir. You can fly home immediately after the procedure. When shall I book your appointment with one of our lobotomists? Yes, you can come tomorrow. Ok, please provide your tongue print to confirm your appointment tomorrow at 0400 hours. Thank You.

 

If you have any doubts regarding the procedure, you can ask our interning lobotomists at any time.

 

Thank you very much for doing your lobotomy with us, Sir. I assure you, our service is so good, you will lose your mind.

 

Have a nice day, Sir.

© 2012 Priya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is certainly satire at it's best: witty. I could see this as a sketch done on camera. You certainly display a talent here. I love how you casually slide in commentary on the government and media. I want to say the currency being water is comments on the environment, like pollution. I love how this just overall screams sly magic trick sales techniques, like especially how she tries to upsell him at the end. I guess I just enjoyed all of this through and through. Well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thought-provoking, interesting, and well written. Wow!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Very interesting take on intertwining dialogue attribution with the narration. I honestly don't know if there is anything I've read quite like it. Very well written. There really isn't anything critical that I can offer, it was as it was meant to be, and I suppose I'll leave it at that. Thank you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How thoughtful indeed. You really did pose some thoughtful things here, like about the government and the media and just about everything in genreal. "you will lose your mind." Oh the.... oh what's that word. It's an obvious word, it's just escaped me. Oh well, I hope you know what I mean. Really, I love that line. I really enjoyed reading this, I liked how the tone of the receptionist really came across. I imagined this smiling ever happy woman, always happy, always bright. This was a really good story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is something so Victorian about this, I laughed darkly throughout. Very well written and a great pleasure to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great story. And it's my kind of reading :)
Best line IMO "...we do not sell your mind to other people. We merely sell it to yourself. I know it sounds confusing..." I love it!
This whole story has an excellent run of humor. And so well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Awesome story! Though I had to google lobotomy; had no idea what it was, lol. Great piece!

Posted 12 Years Ago


this made my day!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow.. you had me interested with the title, and I gotta say, you delivered. Unique writing style that I think paid off... I'm not sure I'd want to go to this shop though.. lol. Awesome write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is certainly satire at it's best: witty. I could see this as a sketch done on camera. You certainly display a talent here. I love how you casually slide in commentary on the government and media. I want to say the currency being water is comments on the environment, like pollution. I love how this just overall screams sly magic trick sales techniques, like especially how she tries to upsell him at the end. I guess I just enjoyed all of this through and through. Well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is certainly an imaginative story about lobotomies. I hope you write more of these medical 'thrillers'.
Jocelyn Wonders

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

2913 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on April 17, 2012

Author

Priya
Priya

Neverland, The Milky Way



About
Hello all. I'm Priya, a student of biotechnology. I'm transgendered, and coming from a society notorious for its ill treatment of people of our kind on many occasions, it is natural I feel a little af.. more..

Writing
Dilapidation Dilapidation

A Poem by Priya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..