The Black Lamb

The Black Lamb

A Story by Chris Woestenburg
"

Don’t try to find any meaning in this. I’m just stretching my imagination and freewriting. Thought this might make for a creepy creature.

"
It was dark in the new ruins of the town. The destruction spread out in all directions for as far as the grounded eye could see. The small, broken buildings had shed their detritus everywhere, looking like half-completed sculptures of an alien world, various in their shapes. Everything was coated in soot and ash like the parched afterthought of fire. The smoke still blocked the moon, fortifying the ashy haze in the sky with dark, sporadic columns. The heat still radiated in the streets. The only sounds were that of stubborn chunks of wall which held out until now to fall to the ground in a dull clatter. Dry char would give any smelling nose a burnt smell and black nostrils.
In a broken courtyard stood a strange creature. It looked like a black lamb, except its legs were as tall as a man, spindly and awkward. It stood still, not seeming to have any immediate purpose. It was coated with a hide as black as the night, and its eyes were darker still, like holes into the abyss. It didn’t look physically intimidating in the slightest of ways, but it had an air about it that screamed horror. There was something in the way it stood that gave the impression that every awkward and troubled step would cause calamity. It was like destructive coincidence made manifest.
Without warning, the body of the lamb seemed to drop down as if to fall in between its four legs, but as it neared the ground, its body hovered. The Joints connecting the legs to the body were now facing upwards, and the black lamb now looked like a terrifying four-legged spider. The face of the lamb spread into an extremely unsettling grin, flashing rounded fangs that were somewhere between a human’s teeth and a hound’s. It scurried out of the courtyard and made its way to the next town, bringing with it nothing but devastating chance.

© 2014 Chris Woestenburg


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Damn, haha.
This felt like a really bad trip, in a good way.
Surrealist excellence, glad I subscribed.
-VM

Posted 9 Years Ago


A rather intriguing story, one with plenty of potential as a new kind of monster... I would love to see more stories inspired by this beast.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Chris Woestenburg

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Alec! I likely won’t be making any more stories with this creepy lamb as it was just a .. read more
Alec

9 Years Ago

True enough my friend. Hooray for spontaneity!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 18, 2014
Last Updated on November 19, 2014

Author

Chris Woestenburg
Chris Woestenburg

Kelowna, BC, Canada



About
I hope to use this website as practice for my more ambitious undertakings in the future. I might turn some of the writing I do on this site into videos, similar to my other ones: https://www.you.. more..

Writing