Street Lamp

Street Lamp

A Poem by Ben Taylor

Frozen lighted limb
Blinks for lack of sustenance
Screams of collision

© 2011 Ben Taylor


Author's Note

Ben Taylor
Tonight was my first try at haiku..any pointers?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

the form of a Haiku is still being fought over and discussed in the western world. they originated in Japan and it's true, they should have 5,7,5 (or at least that's the idea) syllables, however... Japanese words use what are called "Onji" and are much much shorter than our idea of syllables to construct their words. so while we might make a perfect haiku to us, it could be a ridiculous mouthful for someone studied in japanese poetry. all of that is beside the point though....
this would really be a Senryu, since although it's talking about a streetlamp (which is a bit of a stretch from the 'nature' theme haikus are supposed to have anyways) it's written about a human carcrash or whathaveyou, which would be a Senryu.
as something just to read, this is very... almost serene... that might be a bit morbid but whatever. the alliteration in the first line might take away from it though. :) for all intents and purposed this is a great write, just thought i'd give you a bit of a poetry lesson :P

Posted 13 Years Ago


A beautiful write. I could relate it to human life. If the light of ambition dies, then the whole life looses its very meaning. Similarly, a confused mind results in collision with undesired fields.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very well done, very visual. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This haiku presents a clear visual image... the street lamp runs out of electricity and causes the collision... if i have understood it correctly. I like the turn in the last line, it give the haiku the depth that suggests more than the sum of its words.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2011
Last Updated on March 24, 2011

Author

Ben Taylor
Ben Taylor

Columbia, MO



About
Almost everything I write now is relatively real, so just read what I write and get to know me. more..

Writing
Stretched Stretched

A Poem by Ben Taylor