Rowan

Rowan

A Story by Ashton
"

Rowan is forced by her father to disguise herself as a man and join the royal army. She must face love stricken kings and queens, dragons and sorcerers in order to save the one she loves.

"

        Rowan stood on the top of the tower. She grasped the flag pole and leaned as far out as she could catching the wind with her free hand. Her chin length aqua colored hair whipped around her face. She smiled as the sun warmed her bronzed skin. She felt so free, like she was flying. Ever since she’d been enlisted into the royal army she’d felt freer than ever before. Few things could spoil her joy. She twisted around the pole and laughed. As long as no one knew her secret, she’d be safe, she’d be free.

 

        Breeun stood far below, watching a newly acquired horse being taken through it’s paces. Suddenly a merry laugh reached his ears and something glinting in the sunlight high above caught his eye. He looked up. It was Rowan. The soldier stood on the top of the highest tower, the sunlight glinting off his bronze colored skin. The young man was strange. But then again there weren’t very many trolls in the city. Maybe he was normal for a troll. The young king smiled. Rowan was the most loyal soldier he’d ever had. Maybe he’d give him a promotion. He’d make a good armor bearer. He chuckled as the young soldier spun around the pole. The king’s heart fluttered within his chest as he watched the graceful troll. He quickly shook away the feeling and turned his attention back to the now galloping horse. Maybe it wouldn’t do to keep Rowan so close after all.

 

        Rowan saw Breeun watching her. She bit her lip as she felt her bronze cheeks turn a coppery color. The king turned away and she slid down to the edge of the roof. She caught the edge and twisted her body in mid air before dropping to a window sill below. She pulled herself over the ledge and into the room. It was an abandoned storage room that the king had given her permission to use. Her cheeks flushed again as she thought of the king. She peeked out her window and could see him far below as he watched his new horse. He cocked his head as if he could feel her watching him. Rowan sighed and pulled away from the window. It could never be. Even if the king were not betrothed to an Elvin princess, he and Rowan could never be together. Even if her secret were revealed, Rowan was a commoner. The king would never marry a commoner. But even if she weren’t a commoner, her secret would have kept them apart. She ran her hand through her short hair. He thought she was a boy, a soldier sent from the north to join the army. Rowan bit back tears as she thought of the events that had led to this. If her father hadn’t been so greedy or her sisters so vain, then she never would have been in this situation. But now, because of them, she was in love with a man she could never have. She stood and rested her head against the cold stone wall. Dinner was in an hour. Once everyone else had eaten she would go to the kitchen and get some food. The king ate with the army tonight and she could not face him right now. Not while her heart ached this badly.

 

        The king sat at a table with his head generals. He had not wanted to come to this dinner. He hadn’t wanted to face Rowan. Not while he was so confused about the man. But he had an obligation so he had forced himself to leave his room. But, Rowan was not at dinner. This actually almost worried him more than if Rowan had been there. Breeun talked halfheartedly with his generals as he kept a wary eye out for the green haired troll. If he saw Rowan he would find a reason to excuse himself. He would tell the generals that he felt sick. It would be the truth after all. He sighed and turned to his advisor, “Alcor, I’m not feeling too well. Please take over here. I’m going to get some air.” Alcor nodded as the king rose. Breeun did indeed feel sick as he stood and walked to the door.

 

        Rowan sat on the castle wall, her long legs dangling over the edge as she watched the starlight. She sighed. She was about to go to the kitchen when she heard someone behind her. She turned and found herself face to face with Breeun. She gasped, “My lord! I didn’t hear you!” Her eyes went wide as she tried to think of some way to escape.

 

        Breeun jumped at the sound of Rowan’s voice. He hadn’t seen the young soldier sitting on the low wall. “I… Rowan! I didn’t see you there.” He guessed the troll to be around fifteen. His voice had yet to deepen and his face still retained a young, childish appearance. His heart pounded as he caught those coppery eyes.

 

        Rowan nodded, “My lord? What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at dinner?”

 

        Breeun chuckled, “I could ask the same of you.” He sat next to Rowan and looked up at the stars. “Rowan, how old are you?” He glanced at the young troll.

 

        “I… umm… I’m… sixteen, your majesty.” Rowan stammered. She hadn’t been prepared for such a question. She was actually eighteen, but she could never pass for an eighteen year old boy.

 

        Breeun fell silent. Rowan was three years younger than himself. He watched as Rowan shifted uncomfortably. The troll chewed his lip. “I… I must go your majesty. I must rise very early for morning exercises.”

 

        The king nodded. Rowan leaned very close as she moved to rise. Her heart stopped for a moment as Breeun leaned even closer to her. She looked up at him and saw confusion in his eyes. She quickly stood and ran swiftly down the battlement, disappearing into the darkness.

 

        Breeun’s heart skipped a beat as Rowan moved to rise. He could smell the young man’s musky scent. He leaned closer, his heart racing. Rowan paused and looked in to his eyes. Breeun saw confusion and fear in Rowan’s eyes. It felt as if his chest were on fire. Then Rowan was on his feet and disappearing into the darkness.

 

        Rowan lay in her bed but she couldn’t sleep. She could still smell the king as he leaned close to her. She could still feel his warmth. Her heart raced and fluttered, sending heat spreading across her body. He was so confused. He thought he was in love with a soldier. Rowan sighed. If only he knew. She rose from her bed and walked to the window. The stars were bright tonight and they helped to calm her racing heart. She sat by the window until she fell asleep.

 

        Rowan awoke with a stiff back. She peered out the window and saw that she was nearly late for morning drills. She jumped up and began to dress as quickly as possible. After winding a piece of cloth around her chest she pulled on an oversized brown shirt and a belt. Then she pulled on a pair of pants. She looked around to make sure she hadn’t forgotten anything before running out the door.

 

        In the yard she skidded to a halt beside her only friend, Areli. He leaned over to her, “You almost didn’t make it. I was getting worried.”

 

        “Oh come on Areli, have I ever missed a morning drill?” Rowan whispered back.

 

        Areli smiled, “No. And I’d have to say, you’re the only one who never has. No late nights for you huh?”

 

        Rowan shook her head, “No reason for them.”

 

        “Oh come on. This city has some of the most beautiful, not to mention most willing women in the country!” He chuckled.

 

        Rowan just shook her head.

 

        “You are a strange one Rowan. A very strange one.”

 

        “Like you’re so normal.” Rowan laughed. Areli was an elf who’d come with the Queen to be. He was one of the only elves in the royal guard.

 

        Areli chuckled but was cut short  as the head general walked into the courtyard. “Attention!” He shouted gruffly. Everyone snapped back into their lines and morning drill had begun.

 

        Several hours later Rowan sat on her rooftop again. She closed her eyes as the sun glinted off of her metallic skin. “I have to tell someone. I can’t hide forever.” She thought to herself. Tomorrow they would get their placing assignments. Rowan would finally find out where she would be placed as a soldier. She hoped it wasn’t somewhere far away. She hoped it would be somewhere that she could still talk to Areli. If she lost her only friend, she might not make it. She sighed and slid into her room for a nap.

 

        “Rowan Dunevon!” the general’s rough voice called. Rowan stepped forward to receive her placement assignment. “The Queen’s guard!” He barked out. Rowan nodded and took her place with the other’s who’d gotten the same assignment. She crossed her fingers as Areli’s name was called out. “Areli Saris! Watchtower guard.” Areli breathed a visible sigh of relief while Rowan closed her eyes and sighed inwardly. They were both stationed at the castle. They would see each other every day. Rowan smiled at him as he walked past. He grinned back at her.

 

        Rowan reported to Princess Niniane’s quarters along with three other soldiers. Niniane wasn’t queen yet but she was close enough to be allowed to use the Queen’s Guard. Niniane stood tall in her courtyard, her blond hair glinting in the sun. Her icy blue eyes roved over the four young soldiers whom had been assigned to her. Her cold glare came to rest on Rowan. “I suppose you will do.” Her voice was near emotionless. Rowan held back a shutter. She did not like this woman one bit. She didn't like what she saw in her eyes. She saw evil, and she couldn't wait to get away from her.

 

        The other guards were excited to serve the queen to be. She was beautiful, for all that she may have been evil. At dinner they all spoke of her beauty and graciousness. Rowan held back and did not speak. Areli plopped down beside her, "Rowan, how was your first day?"

 

        Rowan just shrugged and shook her head.

 

        "Come on then, what's wrong? I've never seen you so silent." Areli nudged her.

 

        "I don't like that woman, Areli. Not at all. There's evil in her." Rowan glanced at Areli, catching his eye as she did.

 

        He turned to face her, "I traveled all the way from Gaimead with her. I never felt or saw anything that would constitute as evil. Strange maybe, but not evil."

 

        Rowan almost said something about women being able to sense magic better than men but stopped herself. She planned on telling Areli her secret, but not just yet. Instead she simply shook her head, "I know what I saw. It was in her eyes Areli. It was in her eyes." She paused, "I don't feel so well, I think I'll turn in early." She stood and began to walk back to her room. 

 

        "What's going on?" Rowan thought as she walked. She suddenly felt feverish and weak. She could barely walk straight. It had to be something to do with Niniane. She made her way up the staircase to her room and collapsed into bed.

 

        The next morning Rowan couldn't even get out of bed. She rolled over and stared out the window. She could hear the morning exercises in the courtyard below her. Groaning, she tried to push herself up into a sitting position and couldn't even manage that. All's she could do was hope that Areli would notice that she wasn't at drills and come find her.

 

        That evening there was a knock on her door. Rowan almost couldn't say come in. But she managed to croak something akin to words. The door opened and Areli walked in. Before he could say anything Rowan asked, best she could for some water. Areli brought her some and then sat beside the bed. "You look awful."

 

        "I feel awful." She chuckled.

 

        "You're still wearing your uniform." Areli smiled softly. "Let's get you into something more comfortable. 

 

        "No!" Rowan clutched the blanket up around her neck. "I... I mean. I'll change later."

 

        "Rowan you can hardly move. Just let me help." Areli pulled a clean shirt from the dresser. He moved over to Rowan who still clung to the blanket. He tried to pull the blanket away. Rowan gripped it with all her strength. "By the stars Rowan, you've got some strength for an invalid." He pulled the blanket away. 

 

        Rowan grabbed his hands. "Areli wait. There's something I've got to tell you."

 

        Areli withdrew, "What?"

 

        Rowan took a deep breath and sighed. "I... I'm a girl."

 

        "What?" Areli's eyes went wide. "This isn't some kind of joke is it?"

 

        Rowan shook her head. "No."

 

        "This fever has gotten to your brain." Areli shook his head. "You don't look like a girl."

 

        "I use bandages. I'm not stupid." 

 

        Areli shook his head, still not believing her. Rowan sighed and pulled her shirt off, revealing the bandages around her breast. "Satisfied?"

 

        Areli jumped back, his eyes wide, "Oh my stars, you are a girl!"

 

        "Told you. Now give me that shirt." Areli handed the shirt to Rowan and she pulled it on. Then she fell back against the pillows. Fighting off Areli had taken a lot of her strength.

 

        "You would possibly be killed you know, if anyone found out." Areli ran a hand through his hair. 

 

        "There have been lady knights before Areli. I don't think they'd kill me. I don't think they'd be happy, but they wouldn't kill me."

 

        "What are you going to do?" He shook his head.

 

        "I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. Pretending to be a boy. And you're going to keep quiet." Rowan nodded at him.

 

        Areli nodded. "But how long can you keep it up?"

 

        "I don't know. But I'm going to keep it up as long as I can." She sighed.

 

        "So... why?" Areli sat back by the bed.

 

        Rowan closed her eyes. "The king sent out a decree to all the nobles. Send one son to the army. If you have no sons, pay a fee into the treasury. My father has no sons. He has plenty of money, but he is greedy and couldn't bear the thought of parting with any of it. So he told my oldest sister, Lish, to go. She refused and told my other sister, Tassy to take her place. Tassy told me to go instead. I didn't want my family to suffer the consequences of not paying so, I came. They may not be kind, but they're still my family. "

 

        Areli was quiet for a moment. "I understand. I'll do whatever I can to help you."

 

        "Right now you can help me by going away and letting me sleep." Rowan smiled.

 

        Areli chuckled. As he reached the door he turned, "You're unusually tall for a girl you know."

 

        Rowan smiled. It was true. She was nearly six foot tall. She flapped her hand at him, "Yes, yes, now go away!"

 

        It was three days later that Rowan was well enough to go to morning drills. The captain glared at her but said nothing. Areli had told him that Rowan was sick. Niniane was not as forgiving. She glared at Rowan and when she spoke her voice was cold, "You've been gone for four days."

 

        "I'm sorry your highness, I was very ill." Rowan stared at the ground.

 

        "That will not be tolerated in the future. What was your name again?" Her icy eyes cut into Rowan.

 

        "Rowan, m'lady."

 

        "Rowan." The queen-to-be tested the name, "I'll be keeping a very close eye on you young Rowan. A very close eye."

 

        "Yes m'lady." Rowan continued to stare at the ground until Niniane dismissed her to her post.

 

        Away from Niniane, Rowan could think straight. She looked around. There were four of the queen's guard posted around the corners of the room. The room itself was draped with gauzy material that made the walls look ethereal. Niniane sat at a desk in the middle of the room, pouring over ancient books. Rowan shuddered. There was something about those books. They weren't right. They smelled of evil magic. Suddenly Niniane stood up, "The king will be joining me for dinner." She said to no one in particular. "Please have my dining room prepared."

 

        Rowan's heart sank. She had hoped to avoid Breeun, but it seemed that would not be possible. She sighed and moved with the rest of the guard to the dining room. Niniane sat at the ornate table and beckoned to Rowan. "Dear Rowan, would you honor me by being my wine bearer this evening?" Niniane's voice was sickly sweet.

 

        It wasn't a request, it was a command, and Rowan could not refuse a command from the queen. "The honor would be mine, m'lady." Rowan bowed to Niniane, hiding the disgust that she felt.

 

        The king arrived and Rowan stood next to the queen, holding a golden pitcher of the finest wine. Breeun and Niniane talked of politics and the state of the kingdom as they ate. Breeun tried to give Niniane his whole attention, but his eyes continuously strayed to Rowan. "Why?" He wondered to himself. "Why would Niniane use Rowan as a wine bearer. He's a solider, not a servant. We have many trained wine bearers, yet she asks a soldier to serve her. And why did it have to be Rowan? Why am I so distracted by him?" 

 

        Rowan could feel the king staring at her. It was all she could do not to blush. "Why? Why did Niniane have to ask me to be the wine bearer?" Her thoughts raced. Did Niniane know of the friction that was between them? Did she know that Rowan would be such a distraction to the king?

 

        Finally after several hours of torment, the king was able to take his leave of Niniane. She and Rowan were left alone. As Rowan set the wine pitcher down, Niniane placed her hand on Rowans, "Dear, sweet Rowan. Thank you." Her voice was slurred, but Rowan knew it wasn't from wine. Niniane had hardly touched her wine all evening. Rowan could feel the magic that was all over Niniane. She was drunk with magic and power. She stood, pressing disturbingly close to Rowan. Rowan stared down at Niniane and she gripped her collar and started toying with the buttons. "What do you want Rowan?" Niniane cooed.

 

        "For you to shrivel up and die?" Rowan thought. "I only want peace in the kingdom m'lady." She said quietly.

 

        "Oh come now, such a noble wish." Niniane traced a finger down Rowan's neck. "What do you want right now? At this moment? Is it really peace? If you could have anything, would it really be for the betterment of the kingdom? Or would it be for your own pleasure?"

 

        Rowan stiffened. Niniane was out of her mind. She didn't answer.

 

        "Am I beautiful Rowan? Do I make your heart race?"

 

        Rowan took a breath to keep herself calm. Niniane did indeed make her heart race, but it was from hatred, not lust. "Everyone says you are quite beautiful m'lady."

 

        "But what do you say?" Her face was dangerously close to Rowan's lips. Rowan turned her face slightly away, "I would not be the one to say, your highness, I am told I have very strange taste in women." She pursed her lips and thought. "As in not liking them at all."

 

        Niniane let go of Rowan's shirt. Rowan took that opportunity, "I should go m'lady." She moved toward the door, her back was towards Niniane. 

 

        "Rowan." Niniane's voice had a commanding quality to it. Rowan turned. Niniane had loosened her robe and let it drop, revealing her naked body. There was a look in her eyes that said, "If you walk out that door, you will pay the price." Rowan shook her head, turned, and walked out the door.

 

        Rowan walked to her tower, knowing that she had angered Niniane. She had seen it burning in her eyes. There would be hell to pay. She shook her head. "What's done is done. And what Niniane wanted, I couldn't give." She climbed the stairs and stared out her window. There was nothing she could do but wait to see what Niniane would do.

 

        Niniane ignored her, treated her as if nothing had ever happened. Rowan kept to her corner and Niniane did not ask her to be wine bearer again, although she did have several other young men whom she used regularly. Rowan knew exactly what happened after everyone else had left. She knew what the king did not. His future queen was anything but faithful.

 

        Weeks went by. Rowan was able to avoid the king and Niniane continued to ignore Rowan. Breeun, no matter how hard he tried, could not put Rowan from his mind, not even when reports of a dragon began to come in from the north. He and Niniane were having dinner one evening and he told her about the dragon. She leaned forward, very interested. "A dragon?" Her eyes were wide.

 

        Breeun nodded, "In the north. I'll have to begin dispatching soldiers soon."

 

        Niniane pursed her lips as an evil plan began to form in her mind.

 

        The next day, she asked for an audience with the king. When she came into his chamber, she told him that Rowan had volunteered to go out against the dragon. Her heart pounded as Rowan was called to the audience chamber.

 

        Breeun could hardly believe it when Niniane told him that Rowan wanted to face the dragon. He almost said no, but that would give his feelings away. Instead, he called Rowan to a meeting. Rowan strode into the room with confidence and bowed to the king. "You called me my lord?"

 

        Breeun nodded, "Niniane told me that you have asked to be sent out against the dragon."

 

        Rowan held back a look of shock. She glanced at Niniane, who wore a malicious grin. This was payback. This was the hell she had to pay. If she refused, there would be a trial and they would weigh Rowan's word against the queens. And Rowan would loose. So she turned her gaze back to the king, "Yes my lord. It is my honor and duty to protect the kingdom."

 

        The look in Breeun's eyes hurt Rowan. She could tell that it broke his heart to let her go. "It's for the best." She told herself. "For both of us."

 

        Rowan was packing when Areli burst into her room. "Is it true?" He was panting from running up all of the stairs.

 

        She nodded quietly.

 

        "Why?" He was nearly frantic. 

 

        Rowan set down the shirt she was holding. "About a month ago, Niniane tried to seduce me. I refused her, for obvious reason. She told the king I had requested to go out against the dragon. It's pay back."

 

        He nodded. "I see." He stood, "I'm going with you."

 

        "What?" Rowan looked up sharply. "No."

 

        "I'm not letting you go alone. You're my best friend. I'm going to go ask the king now. I'll be back." He slipped out the door before Rowan could say anything.

 

        He burst back into the room about twenty minutes later. Rowan looked up at him, "No. You're not going with me!"

 

        "Yes I am! The king gave me full permission. He was glad to give it. I'm not going to let you go alone and get yourself killed." He picked up her bag and set it by the door. "Give me a half an hour and I'll be ready."

 

        Rowan shook her head. Nothing she could say would dissuade him. Areli was more stubborn than a mule.

 

        Half an hour later, Rowan and Areli were riding out the city gates. A huge crowd of people had gathered to wish them well. They paused at the gate to receive a blessing from the priest and the king. Only Rowan heard Breeun's whisper. "Be safe, come back."

 

        She whispered back so not even he could hear her, "I can't."

 

        As soon as Areli and Rowan had passed the crowds, they urged their horses into a brisk trot. It wasn't far to the northern border. If they hurried, they could make it there by tomorrow.

 

        As night fell they could see an orange glow in the north. The towns and villages that had been torched by the dragon continued to burn. Rowan could see the disturbed look on Areli's face. "It'll be ok." 

 

        Areli shook his head, "We never had to deal with dragons back in Gaimead."

 

        "This is the first one that we've had in Aruna in a very long time. Not since the time of Wyvren the Giftseeker. That was over three hundred years ago."

 

        "What are we going to do?" Areli stared at Rowan, wondering if she had a plan.

 

        "We are not going to do anything. I am going to go fight the dragon. This is something I have to do alone Areli." Rowan said quietly.

 

        Areli started to protest but stopped when he saw the look on Rowan's face. "You're in love with him aren't you? And you don't expect to come back from this foolish dragon slaying quest."

 

        Rowan hung her head, "Yes, Areli, I'm in love with Breeun. And I can't come back from this quest. It's better this way."

 

        Areli shook his head. "Is it?"

 

        Rowan sighed, "There was a moment when I was happy. But it was only a moment. I can't go on like this, my heart constantly breaking."

 

        Areli was about to speak, but was cut short as they came over a ridge and saw the destruction that the dragon had caused. Below them lay a charred village. Flames leapt from gutted, burned out building frames. Embers were everywhere. But the most eerie part of the whole scene was the silence. There was no sound other than the crackling of the flames. Rowan took a breath. The air was searing. She closed her eyes, trying to block out the scene before her. The dragon had been here. She turned to Areli, "I go on alone from here."

 

        Areli shook his head, "I can't let you do this Rowan."

 

        "I have to. If I don't come back, go home. Tell the king that I failed. Tell Niniane that she won."

 

        "I won't. You'll come back. You'd better come back." Areli took a shaky breath. "You'll be fine."

 

        Rowan nodded, not believing him. She knew that she was going to her death. She urged her horse forward, praying to the stars that Areli would not follow.

 

        She followed the trail of the dragons destruction for several hours before coming upon another burnt out village. This one was fresh, screams still came from the burning houses. Rowan bit back her horror. She couldn't leave these people to die. She plunged into the fire. She worked for hours, dragging survivors from the burning wreckage. All of them died before her eyes.

 

        Once the screams had subsided, Rowan bandaged her burns and moved on, blocking out the horror she had seen. The dragon was near. As she closed in, Rowan did everything she could to remember what she knew about dragons. They breathed fire, some could fly, and there were only three places that you could strike a dragon to kill it. Where the leg met the body, you could drive a sword through the flesh into the heart. Under the chin you could pierce the brain, and in the throat, if a dragon could not expel the fire, it would burn from the inside. She also knew that dragons blood would burn through flesh just as efficiently as a dragons fire. Suddenly, Rowan's horse stopped and refused to go any further. Rowan looked up from her thoughts. They stood outside of a huge cave. Rowan realized that this was the dragons lair. She dismounted from the horse and stared. A horrible smell came from the cave, making Rowan gag.  She lit a torch, unsheathed her sword and walked into the cave.

 

        She had no idea how far into the cave the dragon might be. She held the torch out in front of her, lighting the huge cavern. It was damp and the stench was even worse than it had been outside. Rowan tried to be quiet. It would be best if she could sneak up on the dragon. As she went deeper into the cave she began to see signs of the dragon. There were bones scattered about and huge claw marks on the floor and walls. Many of the walls were charred from dragon fire. Rowan tread even more carefully than she had before. She wondered if the dragon was even here. Perhaps it was out terrorizing some other town. She rounded a corner and stopped in her tracks. She had come to the dragons nest. The bones and rocks had been piled neatly to form to the dragons body. But the dragon was not there. Rowan shuttered at the thought of having to wait for the dragon. But then she began to form a plan.

 

        She burrowed under the piles of bone and rock, forming a hollow that she could fit in. Then she began to wait for the dragon. When it fell asleep, she would be able to come out from her hiding place and kill it easily. She just hoped that it would not smell her.

 

        Rowan waited for hours. It was dark in the cave and she couldn't see anything. It would be difficult to kill the dragon when she couldn't even see it. She blocked these thoughts from her mind, thinking only of how she would kill the dragon.

 

        Rowan snapped to attention. She had nearly fallen asleep when she heard a noise. It was like someone was taking rocks and grinding them together. As the sound came nearer so did the stench of rotting decay. Rowan tried not to breathe. The dragon approached. Suddenly there was a burst of flame. The dragon had lit a pile of uprooted trees. Rowan could now see the beast.

 

        It's head nearly reached the top of the cavern. The long, snakelike neck curved with what was very near grace. The muscular body tapered to a slender tail. And the whole thing was covered with bright, emerald green scales. 

 

        The beast held some kind of animal in its massive jaws. Rowan watched in horror as the beast ripped into the flesh of its prey. It tore out huge chunks of meat, spraying the walls of the cavern with blood, before swallowing the flesh whole. When the dragon was finished eating it left the carcass to rot. Rowan tried to still her pounding heart as the dragon stepped dangerously close to her. She stared at the huge, razor sharp claws that could rip her to bits with one swipe. Finally, the dragon laid down to sleep. Rowan tried to calm herself to no avail. She waited until the dragon was fully asleep and then crept silently from her hiding place. She circled the dragon in an attempt to find the best place to pierce its thick, scaly hide. The eye was the least guarded place. Rowan lifted her sword to plunge it into the dragons eyes and was suddenly stunned by a blow to her side. She dropped her sword and watched helplessly as it slid between the, now standing, dragon's legs. She hadn't seen the dragon's tail as it came around. The dragon pinned Rowan to the ground by her chain-mail. Rowan tried to bite back her fear as the creature stared her in the eyes. Rowan quickly began to realize that this was no mere animal. This creature was intelligent.

 

        Rowan cried out as a sharp pain burst into her mind. She realized that the pain came from what sounded like a thousand voices, laughing maliciously. She covered her ears, trying to block out the voices but they were in her mind. "Foolish human creature. Did you think that I would not feel your presence?" The voice scoffed. The dragon was speaking directly into her mind. She could feel dark magic fill the cave as it spoke. "Did you think that I was some stupid animal to simply be outwitted? I am more than a simple dragon." The dragon sniffed her. "I see. So you are female. But those around you believe otherwise. You have been betrayed by those who should have loved you." An image flashed into Rowan's mind. It was the day that her father decided that she would go as a soldier. She watched as he shoved her out of the house with nothing but the clothes on her back.

 

         "Do not come back. And if you do not go to the city like I told you, I will find you and kill you." He snarled.

 

        The dragon laughed, "I was betrayed once as well. It cost them their life." Rowan looked around wildly for her sword. It still lay between the dragon's feet. She began to struggle. The dragon leaned it's massive head closer, Rowan could smell it's rank breath, "What is this? The little girl doesn't want to die? Very well." The dragon released its hold on her. Rowan scrambled for her sword. The dragon laughed, spurting fire in-between Rowan and the sword. The air was searing. She realized that the dragon was playing with her. She pushed closer to the weapon, but the dragon continued to push her back with its fire. Just when she was about to reach the sword the dragon swung it's claws, catching Rowan in the side. Rowan cried out in pain as she landed on a pile of bones. The claws had ripped straight through her armor. Blood poured from her side. As she cluched at the wound, trying to stop the bleeding, she felt a sharp pain in her back. The broken shank bone of an animal pressed against her. Rowan staggered to her feet, gripping the sharp bone with both hands. The dragon didn't notice it in her hand. She staggered toward the beast. "Give up?" The creature lowered it's head to face Rowan.

 

        Rowan chuckled, "No." She plunged the bone into the dragon's eye. The dragon reared back, roaring in pain. The voice in Rowan's head screamed. The dragon crashed to the ground. One last whisper echoed through Rowan's mind, "I was great once." And then, it was silent. Rowan retrieved her sword and staggered out of the cave. Her horse was nowhere in sight. She sat down and ripped her shirt into strips, wrapping them around the wound, hoping to quell the blood flow. She discarded her now useless armor. After taking a few steps it became obvious to her that she would not be able to walk on her own. She found a stick that would support her weight and tried to use that to help her, but even that was to much strain. She had lost far to much blood. She had killed the dragon, but it seemed that it had killed her in the process. She propped herself against a tree and tried not to focus on the pain. She thought instead of Breeun. It was better this way. Let him remember her as a valiant and brave soldier. Despite her racing mind the pain quickly overwhelmed her and she passed out, welcoming death.

 

        She awoke to the sound of Areli's voice. "Oh my stars!" He knelt beside her. "Are you ok?" Rowan did her best to nod. "Did you kill the dragon?" Rowan nodded again. "Let me look at that wound. He began to remove Rowan's makeshift bandages and she passed out again. 

 

        When she came to she was laying on soft pine branches. Areli was kneeling near a fire, cooking something. Rowan tried to sit up but the pain in her side forced her to stay down. She gasped for breath. Areli was by her side in an instant. "I cleaned the wound out and bandaged it properly. You should be fine. You took quite a blow."

 

        Rowan smiled as Areli continued, "I told you you'd do fine."

 

        Rowan began to chuckle but quickly stopped. "Oh! Stars above this hurts!" 

 

        "Since you're horse is nowhere to be found you'll be riding mine home."

 

        Rowan nodded, "I think the dragon ate it." She felt nauseous as she recalled the dragon ripping into the flesh of it's dinner.

 

        Areli nodded, "We'll head back when you're well enough to ride."

 

        Rowan sighed and fell back asleep.

 

        It was several days before Rowan was healed enough to ride without too much pain. Areli helped her on to the horse and then led the horse back toward the kingdom. It took two days but they made it back without any incident.

 

        As Areli helped Rowan off the horse Breeun came bursting into the courtyard. "Rowan! Areli! You have returned." A look of shock and concern passed over his face as he saw Rowan. "I'll send the royal doctors to attend to you!"

 

        Rowan shook her head vigorously. "No!." She paused, "No, please, I'd rather just have Areli tend to me. Please sire."

 

        The king looked confused but consented to Rowan's wishes. He hovered nervously around her, but quickly stepped back as Niniane swept into the room. She glared at Rowan with distain. "How nice to see you came back alive." She sneered. Rowan just smiled at her.

 

        Later, Rowan was resting in her room when there was a knock on her door. She answered it and was surprised to see Niniane. The Elf forced past Rowan into the room. Rowan was about to protest when Niniane cut her off. "Don't think, even for a moment, that this is over soldier boy. You will either be mine, or you will die."

 

        Rowan shook her head, "Then it looks like I'd better prepare for an early death. Not that I haven't already done that."

 

        Niniane's eyes blazed. She gripped Rowan's arm with enough force to draw blood. "We will see. You will soon enough have your chance to redeem yourself." She left the room.

 

        As she watched Niniane leave, Rowan felt a cold chill wash over her. She shivered and walked to her window. She stared at the stars. Rowan had never much believed in the stars, but now she prayed to them with all her might that she would be delivered from Niniane's schemes and that Breeun would not be hurt by the elfin princess.

 

        Rowan healed quickly. Soon, she was back at morning drills. But she was given far more respect. No soldier in the king's army had ever even seen a dragon, let alone killed one. Everyone noticed a change in the young soldier. He was quieter, more introspective. Little did they know that Rowan was simply waiting. Waiting for Niniane to make her move.

 

        Rowan continued to serve in the queen's guard. She silently held her post, watching as Niniane poured over ancient books. She stood guard outside of Niniane's private chambers door as the queen to be retreated to solitude, mixing potions and reworking spells. Rowan could feel the dark magic seep from underneath the door. And she waited. She waited as Niniane took man after man to her bed. She waited as the elfin princess shot hate filled glances at her. And after months of waiting, she was finally faced with the moment that she had been so dreading. The moment when, no matter what she chose, she chose death.

 

        Niniane had been up late reading when she called Rowan to her side. Rowan instantly knew that the time had arrived. She slowly approached the princess. "Yes m'lady?"

 

        Niniane smiled up at her. "Read this for me please."

 

        Rowan leaned over the book and read the passage that Niniane had been referring to. "Moonlight's kiss and dew drop's wish. Silent as the grave. Heart's desire, passion's fire. Come to me death's slave." Rowan paused. It was a spell. "Death to the one my enemy loves. Pain to the one who causes my grief. That death would bring my sweet relief." 

 

Niniane nodded. "Do you, dear Rowan, know how old that spell is?"

 

Rowan shook her head. 

 

Niniane smiled, "Far older than either of us. You must say the incantation as you  bathe in a mixture of rose water, the blood of your enemy, and the blood of the one your enemy loves. It kills your enemy's lover, slowly, painfully, before their eyes. Afflicts them with an incurable fever. First the fever affects the body. They waste away. Then it affects the mind with horrible hallucinations. And then, they literally burn from the inside while they are still alive. They die screaming in agony. I have seen it work before. It is a beautiful thing."

 

Rowan shuttered at the thought.

 

"But it does not appeal to you does it? Don't worry, it only works if it is done by a master sorcerer."

 

Rowan just stared at Niniane. 

 

The elfin woman crooned, "Do you want your second chance Rowan? Do you want to redeem yourself?"

 

        "I, your highness, can not and will not, commit such a crime against my king." Rowan stood stock still, refusing to look at Niniane.

 

        "Then you seal your fate." And she began to scream. Rowan didn't move. She knew what Niniane was doing. She would accuse Rowan of attacking her. And Rowan had no way of proving her innocence. There was no use putting up a fight. Guards burst into the room. Niniane screamed even more, accusing Rowan of attempted rape. Rowan didn't flinch when the guards shoved her to the floor. She didn't make a sound when they put her in handcuffs. She went like a lamb to the slaughter.

 

        Breeun was shocked when the guards brought a sobbing Niniane into his chambers. He was even more shocked when she had been calmed enough to tell him what had happened. He quickly retreated onto the balcony of his chambers. "Why?" That was the only word he could form in his mind. Why would Rowan do such a thing? He tried to brush the tears away but they continued to fall down his face. Nothing made sense anymore.

 

        Rowan looked up at the dull, stone ceiling in her jail cell. They would have a trial. They would take Niniane's word over that of a soldier and she would die. She would die in front of Breeun's eyes. The sound of the door being unlocked tore Rowan from her thoughts. Areli stepped into the room. "Breeun gave me permission to see you. I convinced him that you deserved comfort in your final moments. Although, he didn't take much convincing."

 

        Rowan nodded. "His heart must be broken."

 

        Areli sat next to her, "He is very confused."

 

        "Yes, he is." Rowan said sadly.

 

        "Listen I have a plan. You're not going to die Rowan. I'm not going to let you." Rowan couldn't help but grin as Areli told her his plan. It was perfect.

 

        The day of the trial, Rowan washed and pulled on the clothes that Areli had brought her. He then escorted her to the courtroom. The king had consented to Areli being Rowan's only guard. They entered the room and Rowan took her place at the stand as everyone stared.

 

        Niniane cried out, "Is this some kind of a joke? Where is the prisoner? Where is Rowan?"

 

        Breeun silenced her. With awe in his voice, he nearly whispered, "That is Rowan."

 

        Areli had brought Rowan a dress. A ball gown of stunning green that matched her hair. It was cut low in the front, revealing that Rowan was very much a girl. She had combed her short hair and placed flowers in it. She looked as if she were going to a ball as opposed to a trial.

 

        Now she stared at the floor as her accuser gaped in disbelief. She lifted her eyes and glared at Niniane. "Why? Stars above, why would I, Rowan Dunevon, try and rape Niniane?"

 

        There was silence. "By the stars, someone answer me!" She shouted angrily.

 

        "Now let me tell you the truth. The truth about who I am. The truth about your queen." Rowan paused and looked at the shocked faces before her.

 

        "I am Rowan Dunevon, daughter of Remulas Dunevon. Last year, the king imposed a tax. Every family must send one son to the army or pay a small fee. My father had the money to pay the fee, but he was a greedy man. So instead, he sent his youngest daughter, in the guise of a boy, to the army. That is why I am here." She watched as understanding dawned in people's faces.

 

        "I was placed in the queen's guard. I was assigned to protect the unfaithful queen to be, Niniane. Ten months ago, she attempted to seduce me. I refused her advances for reasons that should be obvious now. Then I watched as she bedded man after man, continuously being unfaithful to her king. Five months ago, when the dragon came to our kingdom, she told the king that I had asked to be sent out against it, when I had asked no such thing. But I knew that I could not contest the word of Niniane. So I went out and slew the dragon that plagued our kingdom. Then, three days ago, Niniane once again tried to seduce me. I refused her again. She accused me of the crime for which I stand in front of you now. So truly, who is guilty? I who valued my loyalty to my king and country? I who, against my will, fought and nearly died, for this kingdom? Or Niniane, who has been unfaithful at every turn?"

 

        There was a communal gasp. To accuse the queen to be of treason was unthinkable. Breeun stared at Rowan, in shock over what he was hearing. But he knew it was the truth. He smiled at Rowan and her heart fluttered. Niniane saw the tender look that passed between the two. She grabbed Breeun's hand and sliced his palm with a concealed knife. With one swift motion she opened a vial of water and poured it on herself, mingling it with Breeun's blood. She muttered some words as Breeun wrenched away from her. "Guards arrest her!" She was seized by the nearby soldiers, but she grinned maliciously. Rowan knew why and her heart fell. Breeun was going to die. And he was going to die in agony. He ran to her and wrapped his arms around her. "I love you Rowan, I really do. I was so confused about you but now," His voice trailed off as Rowan burried her face in his shoulder and sobbed. He tried to comfort her but as he did suddenly felt faint. The world spun and he collapsed, saved from hitting the ground by Rowan's arms. She caught him as he fell and lowered him to the ground. 

 

        "I love you too Breeun. I'll do everything I can to save you." Breeun heard no more.

 

        

        Breeun awoke in his bed, Rowan sitting close by. As soon as he opened his eyes Rowan was by his side. He tried to sit up. "Don't. Save your strength." Rowan said softly.

 

        "What's going on?" Breeun's thoughts refused to come into focus. 

 

        "Niniane used a spell. She gave you a fever." Rowan continued to explaine until Breeun understood the nature of the situation.

 

        "There is no cure?" He grabbed her hand and held it tightly.

 

        "All of the scholars are searching through Niniane's books for one, but so far nothing has been found." 

 

        "What of Niniane herself?" 

 

        "She has been interrogated, but refuses to talk." Rowan shook her head. "I was waiting for you to wake up, but I'm going to speak with her as well."

 

        Breeun nodded, "I see. Why did you hide who you were from me Rowan? Why?"

 

        Rowan sighed, "Another time my lord. Another time." She rose to leave so the royal physicial could check on the king. He didn't let go of her hand. 

 

        "Another time, perhaps another life. You have to tell me soon. I may not have much longer."

 

        Tears sprung to Rowan's eyes. She knew the king was right. She pulled away and ran from the room. It was time to speak with Niniane.

 

        "Where is the cure?" Rowan paced in the small jail cell that Niniane was being kept in. 

 

        "I told you, there is no cure." Ninaine smirked. 

 

        "I don't belive you."

 

        "You could search for a hundred thousand years and never find a cure. The book that it was in was lost forever." 

 

        "You know you're sentenced to die." Rowan growled. "If you tell me where to find the cure, I may be able to convince Breeun to spare your life and simply send you back to Gaimead."

        

        "I will die. And your precious Breeun will die with me." Niniane laughed.

 

        Rowan bit back the words that came to mind and stormed out of the cell. "I'll just have to search for the cure myself."

 

        She burst into Niniane's study, startling the scholars that were already there. "Where's the book that the fever spell is in?" She asked on of them.

 

        He directed her to a large volume that sat on a pedestal in the middle of the room. Rowan flipped through it until she found the spell.  "Moonlight's kiss and dew drop's wish. Silent as the grave. Heart's desire, passion's fire. Come to me death's slave. Death to the one my enemy loves. Pain to the one who causes my grief. That death would bring my sweet relief."  She continued to read. "To break the spell see 'The Fever' found in The Book of Medicor." She turned to the scholars, "We must find The Book of Medicor."

 

        A few of the scholars looked shocked. One of the older ones quietly said, "No one knows where that is m'lady."

 

        Rowan shook her head, "Don't call me that. What do you mean know one knows where it is?"

 

        "It was lost hundreds of years ago. I have a book about it if you would like to see."

 

        Rowan nodded. Soon, she was flipping through the pages of a history book that detailed the disapearence of The Book of Medicor. The book had belonged to a royal Gaimeadian family over three hundred years ago. It was the counterpart to the book of Aeger, the book that Niniane had. But the book had been stolen by an Arunan sorcerer. He had been betrothed to the daughter of the Gaimeadean family, but had been betrayed by her. He cursed her and her lover with the fever and then, in guise of a dragon, stolen the Book of Medicor. That was the last time that a dragon had been seen in either Aruna or Gaimead. It was also the last time anyone saw the book.

 

        Rowan's mind began to race. The dragon she had face had said that is was no mere dragon and that it had been betrayed. She shook her head. It couldn't be the same dragon, but she had to know for sure. She quickly went to the stables and saddled a horse. She turned to grab reigns and caught sight of Areli standing in the doorway. "I saw you running down here." 

 

        "I have to find the Book of Medicor, Areli. I think I may know where it is." She put the reigns on the horse.

 

        Areli nodded, "Just come back safe."

 

        "I'll try." Rowan mounted the horse and rode away.

 

        Rowan entered the dragon's cave with less caution then she had before. The dragon was dead after all. But she still felt chills as she passed the scorched walls of the cavern. She could feel the magic that filled the cave and wondered why she had not felt it the first time. She made her way to the dragon's nest, but she was not prepared for what she found there. The dragon's carcass was gone. She looked around her to make sure that she was indeed in the dragon's nest. As she did an echo of a whisper slipped into her mind. 

 

        "I knew you'd be back." The voice was sad. "I saw her in your mind and knew you'd come back. The elf, Niniane is what you call her, I tried to kill her but she knew the cure for the fever. She disapeared afterwards. No one heard from her for three hundred years." The voice rambled.

 

        "Who are you?" Rowan called out.

 

        "I am the dragon. I am the sorcerer. I am the betrayed, not once but twice."

 

        "The dead should not speak." Rowan shook her head.

 

        "Am I dead? I do not know."

 

        "If you are the dragon, then I killed you."

 

        "I was dead inside long before you Rowan. Niniane killed my spirit when she betrayed me so long ago. I loved her and she killed me." 

 

        Rowan began to understand, when Niniane sent her out against the dragon, it had been payback not only against her, but against her former lover. "What's you're name?" She said softly.

 

        "Alcor Draco." There was a swirl of magic and a man was standing in front of her. He was ethereal, as if he were not quite solid.

 

        "Do you know where I can find the Book of Medicor?"

 

        He laughed, "I do. But will I tell you? Perhaps not."

 

        "Please. Niniane has cursed my king with the fever. I need the book to cure him." Rowan begged.

 

        "You most prove that you are worthy. The book can not be opened by those who are not worthy."

 

        "What must I do? I don't have much time."

 

        "You must learn the ways of a sorcerer and you must pass a test."

 

        "How long will it take?" Rowan stared at the specter in front of her.

 

        "As long as you make it take."

 

        Rowan's heart fell, but she could see no other way. "What must I do?"


 

© 2009 Ashton


Author's Note

Ashton
It's not finished, but it's close. It's just a short story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on August 28, 2009

Author

Ashton
Ashton

Charlotte, NC



About
I've always loved to write. Ever since third grade when I decided that I wanted to be an author. I'm hoping that I'll be published one day... I'm working on getting there. I've been rewriting a bunch .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ashton


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Ashton


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Ashton