RBHE Short #2 : Rated

RBHE Short #2 : Rated

A Story by Rainbows Butterflies And Happy Endings
"

Are we rated on a daily basis?

"

*Sigh*


I draw a hard frown as I my palms pressed hard against my cheeks, my arms leaning vertically on the beige coffee table. The dim glare of my laptop's desktop screen flickered in a dance; seemingly to mock me.


"Silly boy. You knew what you were applying for. Obviously you wouldn't make the cut." I picture it saying.


*Sigh*


I took yet another hard look at the job application form. Minimum SCR-7.


I was a 5.8. I had hoped to bump my score to at least SCR-6 on my annual re-evaluation. With a 5.8, I'm pretty much just shy from almost every decent job available, not to mention to meet the requirement to work for the government of which I so audaciously applied for a week ago.


I took another long sip from my wine glass. That's probably the last glass I could afford in a long time. Ironic; it was probably the wine that nicked me down to SCR-5. No, it wasn't because it was related to alcoholism. Oh no, it was probably because it was Argentinian and since years ago, nobody wanted to be associated with it after its rating dipped because some celebrity blogger decided that it was a comparative disgrace to the classy Californian-vineyard produced ones.


Its funny how they are able to track these things. Your purchases. Your likes, dislikes. If only I could cheat the lie detector in my annual review I would have declared my love for Californian wine without hesitation.


In all seriousness, that small infringement was probably not worth a change in my rating; but more so that as a whole, I just didn't make the cut. I needed to accept that.


Damn SCR. Social Compatibility Rating. Introduced a decade ago as part of an initiative to detect and eliminate extremism. How it works is very basic yet its underlying computations was complex. On the most basic level, it measures how normal you are within your societal group by indexing your actions and thoughts and aggregate it against the majority. Didn't take long for it to be approved. A few charts correlating dissonant thoughts with crime and using the recent civil unrest as a catalyst, the bill was out within the fortnight.


The next step of Democracy says our dear President. The natural evolution of a government dedicated to the will of the people. And now, it reflects thoroughly. The majority really ruled.


"Huzzah." I exclaimed out loud albeit weakly and rimmed with sarcasm, my hands halfheartedly pumped in the air.


"Hey, I tried." I consoled myself.


"No you aren't. In fact, you are trying too hard." a voice awakened me from my meditative self reflection. It was gruff. Definitely male.


I spun around. I was greeted by a slightly plump man in his mid-30's. Black hair and eyes. He invited himself to the seat next to mine. Instinctively I glanced at his right wrist; SCR-1. I immediately moved myself away such that there was a distinctive space between us. Probation started at SCR-3 and internment at SCR-2. SCR-1 was simply criminal.


"Don't need to look apologetic. I get that all the time. Perks of being me." the man exclaimed cheerfully as he flagged down a waitress with his left hand.


"Look, I don't want any trouble." I cautiously replied, careful not to offend a potential aggressor.


"Not planning to give any. In fact, I think I would be able to help you. You are looking to boost your ratings right?" He replied, that smile he had from the start did not fade. "Tell me, which artist do you follow?" 


"Sorry what? I don't really have a-"


"Which clothing brand are you into? Which program do you tune on? Which social media platform are you on?"


"I - don't know, its not something I have on top of my head."


"And that sir, is why you are just a 5. Oh, coffee please and thank you. Black." the man pointed out as the waitress nodded and left. It was probably just me, but she looked a little suspicious of the hidden right wrist. At least he had the common sense to not flaunt his rating. But I can't say I disagree with his choice of coffee.


"Look, I'm close to getting a 6. Next year, I will be there. The lady at the administration office said that I was close, and if I followed standard protocol this year, I am almost guaranteed it in my coming review. I can't be speaking to you." I replied in the most diplomatic tone I could muster.


"Boy, I take one look at you and I know what I see. You want this world gone." the man replied, his eyes now hinting at a spark of insanity.


"I- I- don't know what you mean. What do you mean by gone? Sure, the system is a little flawed but on the whole, it is what works. Okay, maybe the SCR is a little over the top. Just a little bit."


"Over the top? No.no.no. The SCR is spot on. Right on the target. It was already there for the longest time. Someone just went ahead and placed a number on it. Ever wondered why it was so easy to implement it? It's because we were all already well acquainted to that idea. Deny it all you want, but deep down you know it." the man sneered back. It was getting really uncomfortable now.


"You know it. Just like now, you could 'choose'. Just like now, you are responsible for what you do. It IS up to YOU after all. All you have to do to make that choice is to live with the inevitable verdict hailed upon you. Yes, we can see it now thanks to the SCR; but can we really say it didn't exist before? No, no, no, it was there alright. It was always there, so try all you want to avoid it Leon, but you know you can never run from it." the man continued his face now inches away from mine.


"You. How-how did you know my name?" I stammered.


"Well, that's easy. I am you."


I woke up in a start. I was still at the beige coffee table. My black coffee was there; but the fumes were gone, it must have been awhile since I let my imagination run wild.


The same laptop screen greeted me. The same letter I have been reading over and over again. The same message telling me to try again. My next chance will come in 11 months, and again the same question arose, should I take it?

© 2016 Rainbows Butterflies And Happy Endings


Author's Note

Rainbows Butterflies And Happy Endings
Version 1.0

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on May 3, 2016
Last Updated on May 3, 2016
Tags: short, RBHE

Author

Rainbows Butterflies And Happy Endings
Rainbows Butterflies And Happy Endings

Malaysia



About
Well, hello there! RB&HE here. Please leave a comment and review on any of my works. I write casually on many topics. My favorite genre would be fiction & fantasy as it gives me the most freedo.. more..

Writing