Obsession With The Doctor

Obsession With The Doctor

A Screenplay by Daniel Seal - Seal Services
"

The general story is about a man called Paul Watson who is completely obsessed with The Doctor (relating to Doctor Who). He wakes up one morning to hear the sound of the TARDIS and seeing The Doctor in his back garden. Is he imagining things? Or is what h

"

Obsession Of The Doctor

 

By Daniel Seal

 

 

Cast

 

Paul Watson/Voice

Mally Williams

Phil Roberts

 

Italics – Stage directions

Bold – Side Notes/Voiceovers

 

 

SCENE 1 – PAUL’S HOUSE, SUNDAY NIGHT

 

It is midday. PAUL, MALLY & PHIL are at Paul’s house and are sat around the kitchen table. Paul is talking to Mally and Phil.

 

Paul:

And that is my story.

 

Mally and Phil look at each other. Phil begins to laugh quietly.

 

Mally:

Well Paul, er I er well…

 

Paul:

Listen, I know it sounds crazy but it’s true! I saw him! I really did! Mally, Phil come on! You have to believe me!

 

Phil:

Well Paul I er dunno what say.

 

Mally:

Come on Paul! He’s a fictional character! He DOESN’T exist.

 

Paul:

I KNOW what I saw. He does exist, I really have seen…

The Doctor.

 

Paul:

(Voiceover)

It was true. People may think I’m mad but I really did see The Doctor. It was this morning about 2 hours ago. I woke up to a loud, continuous noise. I’d heard the noise before. It was that sound, that glorious sound of the universe. It was the sound of the TARDIS from the television series Doctor Who. At first I thought it was just a dream but of course, I really was awake! I looked out of my window and a man was standing there in my garden. It had to be The Doctor. He then suddenly vanished! Completely into thin air!

 

Paul picks up his house phone quickly and dials.

 

Paul:

Mally! It’s Paul, can you come round here please? Ask Phil as well. Thanks.

 

He hangs up. Scene returns to the kitchen scene.

 

Mally:

No offence Paul, but I’m kinda pissed off you asked us to come here just to tell us that story.

 

Paul:

But guys it’s…

 

Phil:

Yeah, yeah it’s true! So you’ve said. You need help mate. Seeya Paul.

 

Phil leaves, Mally follows but then stops and turns around.

 

Mally:

I’d like to believe you but I just can’t. Your imagining it Paul. I’ll speak to you tomorrow.

 

He leaves. Paul sits there for a moment.

 

Paul:

If they could only believe me.

 

 

SCENE 2 – PAUL’S HOUSE, THE NEXT MORNING

 

 

Paul is sat in bed and is watching an episode of Doctor Who.

 

Paul:

(Voiceover)

Is it really true? Am I hallucinating everything? Do I really have an Obsession With The Doctor? Maybe Mally and Phil are right. Doctor Who is just a fictional character on TV. I should get some help. I’ll go over to Mally’s and Phil’s house right after breakfast.

 

After a time, he turns off the TV, puts on some pants and a t-shirt and goes downstairs. He gets out some milk from the fridge and cereal from a cupboard. He pours the cereal into a bowl and milk. He then gets a glass of water to drink. He sits down and begins to eat his breakfast. After a while, the sound of the TARDIS is heard. Paul stops looking shocked and quickly rushes out of the kitchen doors.

 

Paul:

DOCTORRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

 

The sound of the TARDIS slowly fades. Paul runs and dives towards the end of the garden

 

Paul is lying face down on the grass, he slowly gets up and looks to the sky. Scene fades.

 

 

SCENE 3 – PAUL’S HOUSE, LATER THAT DAY

 

Paul is sat at the kitchen table with his head in his hands. Something behind him falls to the floor. He looks and picks it up. It is a Doctor Who magazine. He gets up and goes to the fridge then notices what is on the calendar, “The Doctor’s Appointment, 4pm”.

 

Paul:

(Voiceover)

Everywhere I turn. 1 word follows me…Doctor, ALWAYS The Doctor. Is this a sign? Why is this obsession stuck in my head? The Doctor, Doctor, DOCTOR!!!!

 

The doorbell then rings. Paul gets up from the floor and walks to the front door. He opens the door and no one is there. He stands on the front doorstep for a moment and looks around. He steps back inside and closes the door. The phone rings. He answers it.

 

Voice:

(Whisper effect)

Doctor.

 

Paul drops the phone in shock and walks out of the lounge backwards eventually sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

 

Paul:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

 

Scene fades to black.

 

 

SCENE 4 – PAUL’S HOUSE, LATE THAT SAME NIGHT

 

Paul is sitting at the side of his bed. He swallows some pills and drinks with a glass of water. He lies down and eventually falls asleep.

A dream sequence begins.

Paul wakes up (in the dream) and gets out of bed and looks out of the window. He sees a figure at the end of the garden standing there. He disappears then reappears to the left, disappears then reappears to the right and then once more to the centre. The figure looks up at the window and raises his arm (sonic screwdriver). He disappears again. Paul runs out of his room but suddenly ends up in the kitchen facing the direction of the TV. He turns around and jumps in shock. Mally and Phil are standing by the sink first looking at Paul smiling then they look at each other and then back at Paul. They both point while looking outside to the garden. They disappear. The sound of the TARDIS is heard. Paul rushes outside and runs to the end of the garden like before. The sound of the TARDIS slowly fades. Paul is facing the direction of the garden fence, he turns around and again jumps in shock this time falling over. He sees himself standing there smiling. His double then says “Doctor”. At this point Paul really wakes up.

 

He stays lying on his bed, eyes wide open. Passing of time until Paul is no longer lying in his bed. He is in the cellar on the PC and on screen are pages and pages of the 2 words “The Doctor”. He continues typing, eyes wide open and eventually stops. He turns round and picks up a gun and holds it to his head.

 

Paul:

Doctor.

Blackout. A gunshot is heard.

 

 

The End

 

Copyright 2007

 

© 2008 Daniel Seal - Seal Services


Author's Note

Daniel Seal - Seal Services
All comments are appreciated. Let me know what you think and by all means, be critical.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ebs
Really loved the ending very dramatic. Paul was an interesting character. wasn't quite sure WHY he would have a obsession with doctor who but it worked. I've never read a screen play before but i thought the conversions were believable. I didn't like the voice over's, i don't know why they just didn't work for me. But don't worry about what i say. like i said i've never read a screen play before. Good write.

ebs

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 9, 2008

Author

Daniel Seal - Seal Services
Daniel Seal - Seal Services

Cheshire, North West, United Kingdom



About
My name is Dan and I live in the North West of the UK. I have lived in several different countries over the years such as Thailand, Malaysia, Bahrain, USA among others. I am currently studying acting .. more..

Writing