Ch. 1 Act 2 - To Verilimar

Ch. 1 Act 2 - To Verilimar

A Chapter by Arutha
"

Everis, Makin, & Ariela set off for Verilimar and arrive to find the city every bit as magnificent as Everis remembered.

"

The Squire set off at a brisk pace down the hallway, quickly arriving at his own room  where a burly man in legion uniform waited calmly.

The Master Logistican’s grizzle only partially hid the dark scar he bore from the side of his chin to the back of his left jaw, a parting gift earned at the Valenrod some fifteen years ago. Rumor had made the man a legend of the uprising, a mighty warrior who had struck fear into any Daríni he had laid eyes on.

“Makin, how fare you?” Everis smiled slightly, tipping his head in greeting. The Logistican snorted.

“I’d be better if my eyes were shut.”

Everis laughed. “Don’t you go getting soft on me, old man. I have need of the wisdom bristling in those salty whiskers.” The young lord’s laughter redoubled at his own jest as he lunged with a feigned right to the linesman’s solar plexus.

Makin didn’t so much as flinch. “You’re lucky I don’t pull this bloody long sword and show you a thing or two, you lordly b*****d.” Makin’s expression remained neutral, masking his intent as he launched into a surprise attack that caught the Squire off guard. Before Everis knew what had hit him, the Master Logistican wrapped an arm around the taller Squire and pulled him down in a firm headlock.

“I yield, I yield!” Everis probably could have out-grappled the graying soldier, but thought better of it. It would be unbefitting of the baron’s son to start slamming Vetria’s Master Logistican about in the middle of the night.

Makin released his hold, and the Squire righted himself, running a hand through his long hair to sweep it out of his eyes. “Makin, we leave for Verilimar tonight. I know it’s short notice, but the matter may be urgent. From the capitol, we’ll head south to Tarmol and speak with the Boundary Wardens. Are you aware of the situation?”

The Logistican nodded. “Crastinus told me. He thinks you’re mad, you know.” Makin’s expression gave no indication as to his own thoughts on the matter.

Everis shrugged. “Be that as it may, I can’t stomach the thought of ignoring a potential threat to my father’s barony.”

Makin’s eyes narrowed as he seemed to consider the young lord’s words. “For a Squire, you make a decent enough baron, I suppose.”

Everis laughed again, shaking his head in mock consternation. “Let’s be about it then. We’ll need a few linesmen and some rations to…”

Makin held up a hand. “Already taken care of. Your rucksack’s in the wagon, and I trust Ariela will be along, shortly.”

The Squire’s eyebrows raised in surprise. “How did you know Ariela would… Nevermind that.” Everis extended a hand toward the far end of the hallway. “After you, Logistican.”

The man was as perplexing as the day was long, but Everis was glad for his diligence. It occurred to him that such resourcefulness was probably the reason he had been named the Master Logistican in the first place.

In wartime, Makin would be called upon to route all of the supply caravans to and from the legion. It was no small task, and the grizzled soldier was one of the few commoners to ever receive such a lofty title. It was a true testament to the man’s merit.

Makin led the way to the citadel’s east wing where they exited a side door, a latenight breeze sending a chill down the Squire’s spine.

The pair made their way across a small lawn, arriving at the stables to find a wagon hitched to four Pirelian plow horses. A dozen mounted cavaliers waited at the ready. Everis was pleased to see his own Fresian warhorse, a sleek black stallion he had named Feran. The Squire found his sword belt draped over the horse’s saddle.

“Thinking of leaving me behind?”

Everis turned to find Ariela making her way toward the stable. Tilly was at her side, her hair a tangled brown mass. The broad-shouldered woman looked even more unpleasant than usual, her narrow gaze instantly locking on the Squire.

A weary looking page followed a step behind the two women, a bulging travel bag in each hand.

Everis smiled at his wife-to-be, nodding toward the wagon where the page gratefully deposited his heavy load. “I see you’re well-prepared, my love.” The Squire eyed the beautiful blonde, his expression one of amusement.

Ariela shrugged innocently. “A lady requires certain necessities.”

With a laugh, Everis held out his hand to the petite young woman, helping her into the wagon. He repeated the gesture for Tilly who declined, electing to hoist herself up unaided.

Once the two women were settled, he buckled on his sword belt and planted a foot in one of Feran’s stirrups, deftly swinging over the saddle. Makin did likewise, mounting his own gray mare.

Without waiting to see if the others followed, Everis gave Feran’s haunches a gentle nudge with his heels, and the black warhorse set off at a brisk walk. The sound of creaking wagon wheels and the soft tamping of hoof beats in the dirt signaled that the others were following.

The Squire led the way to Trader’s Road, a well-worn path wide enough to allow two carriages and their entourages to pass comfortably. The road would take them through the Arenwood, straight to Verilimar.

Everis called to Makin over his shoulder. The grizzled Logistican picked up the pace to come alongside the young lord.

“Makin, we should arrive day-after-tomorrow. Have Ariela’s luggage offloaded, but leave the other packs. I suspect Duke Havastis will be eager to have this matter settled in time to see his granddaughter returned to Alemir for the wedding. We’ll have scant time for doddling, and even less time for sleep. Make sure the men make the most of our stops between here and the capitol.”

Makin nodded his understanding, and the rest of the night’s travel progressed in silence.

After several hours, Everis called a halt. At a barking command from Makin, three of the soldiers set off into the woods where they quickly located a small clearing, signaling its location to the others.

Tanis and Cersis - the twin Guardians, as they were called - had begun their decent toward the horizon. Their combined yellow glow was accompanied by the red light of Baleran, on the rise to the east. Using the relative position of the Guardians in the night sky, the Squire judged the time to be several hours past midnight.

Eager to get to sleep, Everis waved off the Master Logistican’s insistence on setting up a proper camp. “The faster we get some shut eye, the better, Makin.”

Tilly rounded on the Squire from behind the wagon, stepping directly in Feran’s path and crossing her arms in defiance. “It’s not decent to go making proper ladies sleep on the bare ground with menfolk. She needs a tent, Everis.” The woman set her jaw, unmoving as she glared at the young lord.

Everis rolled his eyes. “Very well. Makin, would you be so kind?” The Logistican yelled at a group of soldiers who were unfurling their travel rolls, and they set about erecting the tent.

The Squire reined Feran in near a small oak tree, tying the warhorse up and heading for the wagon. The young blonde took his proffered hand, stepping out into the clearing.

“Everis, have I ever told you how much I loathe sleeping in the forest?” Ariela wore a pouty expression, though Everis knew it to be an intentional over dramatization. He elected to play along, as usual.

“My poor, helpless dame. Whatever can I do to ease your suffering?” The Squire put on his best attempt at a look of deep concern. Ariela giggled, wrapping him up in a vigorous hug.

Everis laughed. “That’s quite an embrace for such a delicate maiden.” Tilly’s cold stare caught his eye over Ariela’s shoulder. With a wink, the Squire said, “Let’s get some sleep, my love.”

His betrothed lingered in the hug for a moment before obliging, crawling through the tent’s open flap as one of the linesmen hammered down the final stake.

Everis, Makin, and all but two of the soldiers settled into their travel rolls, the other pair taking the first watch. The exhausted Squire was asleep almost the instant his head touched the pallet.

The remainder of the journey passed without incident, Ariela growing more excited to be home by the hour. As the sun began to set on the second day of travel, the party crested a small rise to find Verilimar’s towering palace looming in the distance. Though the city appeared enormously populous from afar, Everis knew it to be at least partially abandoned.

After King Aelrod’s father - the late King Erefort - had moved the capitol of the kingdom to Renalor, many of the city’s wealthy nobles and merchants had made the journey, as well. Though Verilimar remained the capitol of the Vetrian duchy, its luster had waned considerably in the last few decades. Of course, it was still the largest city Everis had ever visited, and as such it held a certain boyhood fascination for the young lord.

The Squire gave Feran’s reins a gentle tug, sidling up alongside the wagon. Ariela sat in the back where she worked diligently on what appeared to be the makings of a crochet scarf, humming to herself as she worked the two silver hooks. Tilly sat by, watching disinterestedly.

Everis cleared his throat, Ariela’s head jerking up in response. The Squire grinned, as he said, “You’d not believe the view.” His bride-to-be looked perplexed for a moment before a sudden realization lit up her brown eyes.

“Verilimar!” The beautiful blonde squealed her delight. With eager purpose, Ariela bolted upright, catching one of the wooden boards that supported the wagon’s hide canvas top as she leaned over the side for a look at the city. Tilly looked as though her eyes might pop right out of her head.

Everis reached out, placing a hand on the young woman’s back to steady her. “Do be careful, dove. I’d hate to have to explain to the Duke how I allowed his granddaughter to fall from a moving wagon and break her arm.”

Ariela turned her head to scowl at the Squire. Everis laughed.

It still struck him as odd, the way he felt around her. At times, it all seemed entirely out-of-place, as though it were happening to someone else.

In the last year, she had become the most important thing in his life, and even now, after two days of riding and on the heels of a potential threat to his father’s barony, he could not help but be overjoyed.

Everis realized he was staring, Ariela’s expression thoughtful as she studied his face. “See something you like, Squire?” She puckered her lips and wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. The young lord shook his head, grinning for all the world like the mischievous boy he had once been.

"Just enjoying a different view, I suppose." With a wink for Ariela, the Squire nudged Feran forward to retake the lead as they came into clear sight of the city gates.



© 2014 Arutha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, its a good way to introduce the characters steadily before the story picks pace otherwise the reader has trouble keeping up. I'm guilty of this flaw.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nice development of the first chapter, all the characters seem to have clear personalities and I like how you leave the reader to infer things rather than spoon-feed them.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2013
Last Updated on January 14, 2014


Author

Arutha
Arutha

AR



About
I'm Daniel, a writer in my late twenties with a serious passion for high fantasy. Anything with elves, dragons, or wicked, wand-wielding wizards and you've captured my attention. Of course, I'm also A.. more..

Writing