If Only I Had an Umbrella

If Only I Had an Umbrella

A Story by Dani Eiri
"

All she wanted was to get home without being soaked by the rain. Every taxi cab was unavailale, except one. Just one single taxi ride that changed her life.

"

"Oh come on!"

The cab drives on merciless, despite my plea for it to stop. I swore the light said it was available. Standing under the awning of a building to shelter myself from the rain, I hail for every cab I see. The rain is so dense that you can't see which cabs are available and which ones aren't. Apparently, none are ever available.

Great.
Just my luck that the only time I can't get a cab is when it rains.

If it weren't raining I would just walk back to my apartment. Hopefully my papers and books don't get as wet as I am getting. At least books can't get sick. Might as well just walk back to my apartment while trying to stay as dry as possible. Which is a lot harder than it sounded. Streams of water flow from corners of buildings and gutters, drops splattering against the concrete while the combined drops drown out every other sound. Water tickles down my face, obeying the laws of physics. My long hair feels sticky as it touches my neck.

I'm not even close to my apartment. If only I had an umbrella, everything would be okay.

The sound of tires on wet pavement break through the constant pounding of rain. Pausing under an awning and looking back, I hope to see a yellow car with an available light adorning the roof. Those yellow cars are the best kinds, especially in this type of situation. In the grey fog of wetness, the colour yellow yells out to me and I immediately throw my arm out with desperation. Lighted letters on the cab roof spelling "TAXI" give off a sense of mercy as the cab pulls over. Jumping into the cab, I breathe a sigh of relief as warmth caresses me.

"Thank you sir."

"Where to?"

"Sunny Hill Lane, Redwood Apartments"

"Alright."

Closing my eyes, I rest my head against the seat, listening to the wipers clear away water as the wheels splash through water. A sense of peace overcomes me, but a suspicion tugs at the corner of my mind, as if I'm forgetting something. I couldn't possibly go back to my office now, besides, what if I'm just stressed into thinking I forgot something when I really didn't? It would just cost me more fare. Glancing over at the driver, I notice his features. A fairly dark-skinned man a little older than myself, and very handsome. Though his good looks are ruined by how tense he appears, as if he is nervous.

Must be a new driver.

He looks into the rear view mirror, noticing my stares. I quickly avert my eyes to the window, pretending to be reading the signs of the buildings. Wait. I don't remember these buildings being near my apartment. In fact, they're in the opposite direction of my apartment.

He is definitely a new driver.

"Sir, my apartment is in the other direction," pointing my index finger in the direction we should be going. He looks at me from the mirror, and just slightly nods before taking a left turn.

Ah, he'll take another left turn to go in the right direction. I hope I have enough money for the fare.

"Sir, how much will the fare cost by time we get to the apartments?"

Without looking up, he mutters "don't worry about it. This ride is free."

Resting against my seat, I can't help but feel a nagging suspicion that something is wrong. Perhaps he is just a new driver. But what if he really is trying to kidnap me? Maybe he is a rapist.

Oh stop that. He just felt bad for taking you in the wrong direction now he's giving you a free ride.

I've always been a paranoid person, but when he took a right turn, my alarm increased. My body tensed and my mind went through a hundred different things of what to do. Gripping onto my seat, I steal a glance into the mirror. He looks at me with dark eyes, watching me. Then he opens his mouth to speak.

"Miss, I just have to take a different route. There is something I must do."

I nod and slink back into my seat, releasing the grip on my seat.

Girl, you're too paranoid.

Watching the buildings roll past, I try to calm myself. Perhaps there was a traffic jam in that direction and he wanted to avoid it. The driver began rustling under the seat, but I ignore it so that I wouldn't get any more ideas. But what about this 'something I must do' thing? He has a fare, shouldn't he wait? Oh, he might need gas. Just when I was about to look towards the gas gauge, I notice a strange device in the man's hand. What is that? A beeping noise sounded from his side of the car and beeps every few seconds.

Now, I've never heard THAT before.

"Sir, you can just let me out here."

He shakes his head. The constant beeping rings though my ears. Everything gets fuzzy. My mind is confused, trying to find a solution or logical reason. It was then that I realized. The newspaper and magazine offices line this street. And the post office. And the bank. The hand on the steering wheel holds a rumpled picture of a little girl. Groping the door handle, I look to see if the door is locked.

It's not locked. Should I jump for it?

I know something is wrong. There are too many suspicious actions. We're getting close to the political magazine press. I open the door, which wasn't as easy as it sounds. Turning around to face me, the man's face turns feral and red, and his voice wasn't as low and soft as it was before. It was booming.

"Close that door!"

I jump. Something hits my leg, and then I painfully hit the ground. Opening my eyes, my vision is blurry. My clothes are soaked, and I lay there on the pavement, feeling the clothes stick to my body. A terrible explosion blasts near the editorial offices. The ground shakes and people are screaming. I hear a baby crying in the distance. Everything is happening so fast.

I knew something was wrong. I can't believe I survived that. I can't believe it.

My head is aching. My body is throbbing with pain, too weak to move. Rain starts pouring down and my mind begins to black out. One last thought floats across my mind.

Man, if only I had an umbrella.

© 2013 Dani Eiri


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on April 25, 2013
Last Updated on April 26, 2013

Author

Dani Eiri
Dani Eiri

About
17 year old girl with a passion for Iceland and Japan. Knows little 日本語 (Japanese) and Íslenska. LDR with a handsome man living in Ísland. Artist/Author. https://.. more..

Writing