Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Daniel Pylican

Carnage and havoc was all that Christina saw from her police cruiser as people were chasing and attacking other people. She wanted to stop and help so bad, but the Captain had called all cars back to the police station. Quickly Christina moved from the neighborhood she was in, and down Center Street toward the police station. She was about a few meters away when she looked out her window to find a old man was biting into a lady's arm on the sidewalk. Christina quickly parked her car, and got out intending to help the lady before going up to the police station—which was about twenty or thirty feet from where she was. She slid out her baton and smashed the guy in the face, knocking him off the woman. Christina looked down to see she was too late—the lady's throat had already been ripped out.
Christina gagged when the man grabbed her by the throat, making her loose her balance, and slammed her to the ground with a sickening thud. The man was about to bite into Christina’s neck, but a gunshot echoed through the street rendered the man motionless as he fell right on top of Christina. Suddenly, the woman that Christina had just checked on sat up, looked at Christina with a violent scream, and started to crawl toward her. Two more shots came and the lady stopped dead. The mysterious shooter moved toward Christina, grabbed the man off of her and threw him to the side.
"Are you alright, Christina?"

She looked up to find her old partner, Johnny Garcia, bending over her. Johnny was a tall muscular man, with a light tan with dark brown hair.
"Johnny? I thought you were dead!" Christina appeared shocked.
"Nope. Let’s get you off the ground." Johnny grabbed Christina by her arm and helped her get up. They both started toward the police station. Which was a dark tan two story building, with blood all over the left side. You could see tons of bullets, had broken through the tan bricks which was now showing a ugly grayish color.
"What is going on? I thought that lady was dead." Christina commented further, still trying to get her bearings.
"I don't know. It’s been all over the news that the government thought it was some terrorist attack. But then the same thing started happening in China, Britain, Spain, South Africa—but that's not even the worst part. Now they are thinking the people that are attacking people might not even be alive." Johnny explained.
"You’re kidding, right?" Christina replied.
"Nope."

Christina notice Johnny wasn’t wearing the usual police uniform, instead he was wearing a pair of black jeans, and a dark blue long sleeve shirt. With his bullet proof vest over it following Johnny, the two of them moved through the doors of the Pleasant Grove Police Department and headed toward the back of the building. Both of them noticed computers, papers, bullet holes, and bodies spread all over the ground and walls of the department. When they turned the corner of the two-story building, they saw most of the brown tables have been destroyed, leaving most of the cops sitting in the middle of the room talking to each other. The Captain noticed them coming.
"Christina, Johnny, where in the hell have you two been?"
"Sorry, Sir, had a little trouble on the road." Christina replied.
"I came from my house, Sir, but also had trouble, too." Johnny added.
"No need to be sorry, we are trying to figure out a plan of getting out of this town."
"Wha-What? You guys are just leaving everyone to die?" Johnny asked.
"Look outside, son. Have you seen one person yet that hasn't tried to kill you?"
"No, Sir." Johnny replied.
"Well then what is the point of staying here?"
"There isn't one." Johnny said.
"So has anybody come up with an idea yet?
"I have, Tom." Nick spoke up.
"Gosh damn it, Nick, it's Captain Smith to you." Tom corrected the officer.
"Sorry, Sir, well I was thinking we could take the sewer out of town." Nick suggested.
"That sounds good to me. Let’s get some gear and get the hell out of here."
"Sir, I would like to stay." Christina said.
“Wh-Why would you want to do that Christina?" Tom replied.
"I just think…not all of the people in this town are dead."
"Well you can do what you want, as of now I’m no longer a cop. So stay if you like, but the rest of us are getting out of here."
"No, I’m staying too Captain. I grew up here, so I can't leave just yet." Johnny said. Tom looked at both of them and nodded before he moved his head to the left as the rest of them started to leave the room.
Christina took a chair and glanced at Johnny. "Now what we going to do?"
"Well, I planned on looking for survivors. Best place to start looking are at Wal-Mart’s, Targets, and the Mall." Johnny described a plan of action.
"Right! Let’s get some ammo and weapons, maybe even take a S.W.A.T van if we can." Christina added ideas to his plan.
"Alright, I'll go look for the van, you get the weapons and ammo together." Johnny left her with some tasks and vanished around a wall head for the parking garage. Christina stood and headed for the door that said armory above it. She took out her nine millimeter, and softly pushed the door open. “No movements”, she thought to herself in satisfaction. She slowly checked left and right before moving to where they kept the keys for the cabinet. She located them on the counter where gun registration normally occurred. She grabbed the keys and quickly moved to where the shotguns were, knowing the S.W.A.T van would have the machine guns and all their ammo. She found a pair of black gym bags not to far from where she stood. She quickly emptied them both out and started loading ammo for both shotguns and nine millimeters. She zipped up both bags and started out the door. But on the other side of the door stood a kid, no older then nine or ten. Christina quickly picked up her pistol and aimed at the kid, who started to scream. Just then, a man about early twenties stepped in front of her pistol, and he was holding a black forty-caliber pistol with laser.
"Who the hell are you two, and what are you doing here?" Christina yelled.
"First, lower your pistol, then we can talk." The man said back.
Christina dropped her pistol to her side, seeing that her life wasn't in danger.
"Alright, now you do the same.” The man slowly let his gun down then and moved over toward where the kid was standing. “By the way, I'm Christina."
"I'm Gary Davidson, this is Michael, and my friend Nacho is in there." Gary motioned over his shoulder.

Christina looked the two over, Gary was a young slim man, with short black hair. But he did have a muscular built going on. Then she notice, Michael, he was so small probably no taller then four feet, five inches, she guess. He was wearing jeans and a black shirt which were tatter and ripped. When Christina finally spoke up.
"Gary Davidson? Do I know you from some where?" Christina asked.
"I'm not sure, are we suppose to?" Gary replied.
"Where are you guys heading?"
"Arizona first, then back to my home country."
"What is in Arizona?" Christina asked.
"A really good friend of ours."
"What's his or her name?"
"His name is Daniel Pelican. Nacho and I were going to surprise him with a visit, but when we got here, everything turned to hell." Gary answered honestly. Christina recognized that name as one of her friends from Camfans.
"Gary, is your email address weirdkidinabox?" Christina asked, slowly pulling pieces together.
"Ya it is, why?"
"Gary, it's me, Christina…from Camfans." Christina said with a smile. She walked over and gave Gary a hug, and then stood back to look at him. "Man, I didn't even recognize you. Did you say Nacho is here too?"
"Ya, he's in there somewhere, let’s go find him." Gary replied.
Gary picked up Michael and walked by Christina back into the room where all the brown tables were broken as Johnny came bursting in, out of breath with sweat pouring down his face.
"Who is this, Christina?" Johnny eyed Gary cautiously.
"An old friend of mine.” She locked her gaze with Johnny, “Did you find the van?"
"Ya, but we need to leave now if we are going to make it. Things are getting bad out there." Suddenly, Nacho comes running in, shooting over his shoulder.
"RUN!" Nacho yelled as the doors he just came running out of slammed open and a group of zombies poured out. Johnny, Christina, Gary, and Michael followed Nacho down the corridor leading to the police garage. The group burst through the double doors, stopping just outside the door.
"Follow me, everyone, but make it quick!" Johnny yelled and led the others down a ramp. Christina began shooting at zombies while she ran. After turning down another ramp, they all finally saw the giant dark blue S.W.A.T van. In moments, Johnny hopped into the driver seat, while the other four got into the back. Johnny started the van and pushed the gas, alerting everyone to hold on as the van exited the garage—hitting zombies with a thud along the way. Out on the street the van slammed into a few parked cars and a truck before screeching away. Christina and Gary both looked out the back window to see the zombies running after the van. They both sat back with a sigh.
"So is this your son, Gary?" Christina asked.
"No, Nacho and I found him wandering the street."
"Oh, where are his parents?" Christina asked again.
"I'm not sure, but he will stay with us until we can fine someone to leave him with." Gary replied.
"Johnny, where are we going first?" She turned her questioning onto her partner.
"To the Wal-Mart down 80th street." Johnny replied. The van kept on the same road until it came to 80th street and then it turned onto it. Christina got up and went to the front of the van and started to talk to Johnny again.
"We are going to need a bigger truck if we do start finding survivors." Christina informed him.
"Ya, and supplies like food, drinks, clothes, and other ideas." Johnny nodded.
"Ok, we'll just have to worry about that when we get to Wal-Mart then."
Johnny smiled at Christina and then looked at the review mirror to see Gary putting a full body armor on Michael—which was a smart idea since the zombies wouldn't be able to bit him so easily. It was evident that most of the attackers have gone for the upper body. Gary threw one over to Nacho, and then put one on himself. The van came around the corner and into view of the parking lot completely packed with zombies were hovering toward the front door—which meant there where probably survivors inside.
"Ok, everyone look alive, we have about thirty to forty zombies in front of the doors leading inside of Wal-Mart." Johnny reported.
"Nacho and Gary load up with weapons, this might get messy." Christina replied. Both of them scrambled as Gary grabbed a tactical vest sliding it over his shirt and body armor loaded it with clips of ammo, while Nacho grabbed a shotgun and an AR-15.
"Alright hold on everyone, I’m just going to ram must of them!" Johnny yelled.
The van sped up in time to jump the curb and enter the Wal-Mart parking lot. Johnny turned the van so it was lined up straight with most of the zombies in the group and plowed right through half of them. Johnny threw the van into reverse and backed up to the doors.
"Gary, Nacho, open the doors and swing them to each side of the van." Johnny instructed. Nacho and Gary hurried over to the doors and popped them open after the van slammed right into the doors blocking the zombies. The group in the van quickly hurried into Wal-Mart and was greeted by the survivors inside.
"Freeze!" A lady yelled. Christina and company pushed up their guns, just as the survivors’ did. No one moved, but Michael started to dance and grabbed Nacho's sleeve. Nacho looked down at him and then back at the people hiding behind tables.
"This kid needs to use the bathroom, is it ok if he does?" Nacho asked.
"The only way you will do anything in here is by putting those weapons down, and handing them to Sara." The lady replied.
"Over my dead body!" Gary yelled.
"That can be arranged."
"No one fire." A man said coming around the corner, dressed in a lawyer’s suit. Michael eyes widen, and he dashed toward then man, jumping into his arms.
"Dad, is Mom and Sam here too?" Michael asked.
"Michael, I thought you were dead!" Michael and his dad hugged for nearly five minutes before Michael turned back toward Gary and company.
"Nope, these people are my new friends. They helped me." Michael said with a smile.
"Well, if that's the case then they are welcome here." Michael's Dad walked over to where Gary and everyone stood and stuck out a hand.
"Thanks for saving him, I'm Mike."
"You’re welcome." Gary said.
"Come, come, we should not stand right here." Mike turned and signaled for the others to follow him. Christina and Johnny looked at each other and started after him. They rounded the corner to see about sixty to seventy people, most of them being kids of all ages.
“Please feel free on getting a fresh pair of clothes." Mike offered and everyone just nodded. Michael spotted his Mom and brother, and took off toward them embracing his Mom and then his older brother.
"Sir, have you guys ever decided on leaving this place?" Johnny quickly asked.
"Why would we want to leave from here, we have everything we need from food to clothes." Mike said.
"Cuz sooner or later those doors are going to give away, and let all those things out there in here."
"Sir, all we are asking is to see if some people want to leave with us." Christina added
"Alright I will ask around, but please stay for a night or so before leaving." Mike replied. Johnny and Christina nodded and then all of them split up going in different directions. Christina moved off in the direction of the clothes to change out of her cop uniform, as did Johnny. Gary started over toward the food which he just saw people cooking on a small camp grill. Nacho headed off toward a bed he saw, which he fell quickly to sleep from all of the things that had happen earlier.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Chapter 1



© 2008 Daniel Pylican


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on July 7, 2008
Last Updated on July 7, 2008


Author

Daniel Pylican
Daniel Pylican

pima, AZ



About
17 year old male that likes to write stories more..

Writing
chapter 2 chapter 2

A Chapter by Daniel Pylican